Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't it on this thread that I got the rec for "Four Eyes?"

Got my money's worth. Still reading it.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I believe I recommended that! [Smile]

Still reading it too and finding very enjoyable!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I recommend Dark Wolverine. Daken is definitely not his father's Wolverine. He's got better fashion sense for one thing. (Except for the mohawk, and yet, somehow it works.) Daken's a very dark character who'll "do anything or anyone" to get what he wants. There's something kind of sympathetic about him, though, although I can't explain it. I'm enjoying this a lot more than I've ever enjoyed a Wolverine comic.

Preview for DW#75.

Preview for DW#76.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Also caught up on Incognito #4 & #5 and once again am just completely blown away at how talented Ed Brubaker and Sean Chen are. The series continues to impress, and Brubaker seems to have a handle on the superhero meets noir fusion better than anyone else (since almost no one else gets it right).

Best of all are the articles in the back, the two here written by Professor Jess Nevins, who has written articles in the past for Criminal and Incognito. The articles are two pages, loaded with information and as fascinating and interesting as anything else I read all year. #4 dealt with "Operator #5" a pulp hero from the 30's I've never heard of and found fascinating, particularly because the series generally always had invasions in the US from foreigners resulting in massive casualties and destruction--something that was a major fear during that era. #5 deals with Fu Manchu, who I *am* familiar with--or at least, I thoguht I was but now feel like I've finally gotten some real history on the character/concept. What it really does is give some incredible insight into the "Yellow Peril" archtype of villainy in the pulp era that stretched on beyond WWII though never quite as ruthless as it was in pre-WWII days (and during of course).

I highly recommend it to anyone who considers themselves intelligent, moral, decent or generally cool in anyway [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
You don't have to be a Marvel fan to enjoy the Young Allies 70th Anniversary Special. The great Roger Stern has done it again, writing a thrilling, funny, and lump-in-the-throat-moving story about Bucky and his fellow teenage WWII freedom fighters, following them from the Golden Age to the present.

Makes me wish Stern was writing Captain America instead of Brubaker (sorry, Bru fans, but despite flashes of brilliance, I never quite warmed to his Cap stories, and dropped the book.) Makes me wish Stern was writing the upcoming Steve Epting-drawn Golden Age extravaganza The Marvels Project instead of Brubaker (if you haven't read Stern/Epting's Invaders story from the late 90s, shame on you. The back issues of Marvel Universe are cheap and easy to find.) And it almost makes me wish Stern was taking over JSA instead of Willingham, except that I've always felt Stern and DC were never a comfortable fit, while Stern and Marvel have always fit together like a hand in glove.

Of all the 70th anniversary books, I've enjoyed the Captain America & Sub-Mariner ones the best.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
hey any recommendations for heroic characters? seems like books are really bloody lately...(LO3W, Ultimatum,) I even read a description of Storm as "not afraid to kill" or something...which is the opposite of how she was written before...

i'm into new avengers because at least there is a debate going on about what a hero is.

are there any books out there now without guns, and without heros that kill?

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:

are there any books out there now without guns, and without heros that kill?

Wednesday's comics. There is killing a small bit but done off panel.

Well, there is a Hawkman so it's not ALL off panel, lol.

Seriously, I was hunting for this thread to recommend Wednesday's Comics. This is a comic best read with someone; kid, sweety, neighbor's dog.

[ July 30, 2009, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm getting to Wednesday comics eventually in the stack of comics I've got. I'm savoring it because from what I've seen already it looks fantastic.

DB, heroes acting heroic? Without needless bloodshed and violence? That's tougher than it sounds since I've had to actually think about it quite a bit. Best options: Nova, Amazing Spider-Man, Incredible Hercules, Supergirl, Superman, and Booster Gold. That might be it, believe it or not.

Thor hasn't been killing anyone, but he hasn't been afraid to kill his enemies since 1970.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not a gamer, but I am a Peter David lover, so I read Halo: Helljumper 1 (of 5) and liked it a lot. Very reminiscent of James Cameron's Aliens, but with more character depth. The art is a bit drab for my tastes, but it's not the first time PAD has risen above the art.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
You don't have to be a Marvel fan to enjoy the Young Allies 70th Anniversary Special. The great Roger Stern has done it again, writing a thrilling, funny, and lump-in-the-throat-moving story about Bucky and his fellow teenage WWII freedom fighters, following them from the Golden Age to the present.

Makes me wish Stern was writing Captain America instead of Brubaker (sorry, Bru fans, but despite flashes of brilliance, I never quite warmed to his Cap stories, and dropped the book.) Makes me wish Stern was writing the upcoming Steve Epting-drawn Golden Age extravaganza The Marvels Project instead of Brubaker (if you haven't read Stern/Epting's Invaders story from the late 90s, shame on you. The back issues of Marvel Universe are cheap and easy to find.) And it almost makes me wish Stern was taking over JSA instead of Willingham, except that I've always felt Stern and DC were never a comfortable fit, while Stern and Marvel have always fit together like a hand in glove.

Of all the 70th anniversary books, I've enjoyed the Captain America & Sub-Mariner ones the best.
I thought both were excellent as well.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
thanks cobie, i will try amazing spider man...i like how he's written in new avengers. i get thor, that amount of bloodshed dosn't seem excessive, i think only two people have died the past ten books.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:
i will try amazing spider man...

I wouldn't. I really wouldn't...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

As I'm going through my pile, I found a one-shot I picked up some time ago but can't remember when it came out, SGT Fury & his Howling Commandos. Not sure if anyone else got this.

Now, as I've said before, I basically began reading comics by reading all of the Marvel Silver Age. This included the original SGT Fury & his Howling Commandos run by Jack Kirby, which are all stories that I consider some of the greatest to ever be published. If you ever want to see Jack Kirby at his finest doing something other than superheroes, I highly recommend that.

Thus, I have a natural love for the Howlers and enjoy reading about their WWII exploits. Growing up, Dino was my favorite, but probably I like them all equally now, with perhaps Reb and Gabe being equally as much faves as Dino.

The one-shot was actually rather good. And it was completely done in the spirit of the original Silver Age series. What I mean by that is essentially there is over the top action from first page to last page with only several panels seperating the sequences and usually those panels were hysterical scenes so you really don't catch your breath.

The dialogue is all one-liners, usually with the Howlers breaking 'em off on one another and adding an additional layer to the obsurdity of their exploits--which are usually Fury's exploits as he does things that maybe even Captain America couldn't do, which stays true to the original Kirby series.

Some of the plot points are things I saw coming a mile away but I didn't really mind it too much. For instance: The show a Golden Age Black Widow, which wasn't too surprising. Zemo shows up and Baron Von Strucker does at the end. The final sequences reference Captain America. All these things almost always work their way into a Marvel WWII stories, and have since the 1970's--still, they aren't too distracting.

But I love a good war story, I love a *fun* story, and I love sequences with characters really riffing off one another and that was certainly the case here. The dialogue read like a Giffen/DeMatteis JLI story but with Fury and the Howlers in WWII.

I wish they'd make it an ongoing or at least a miniseries.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Based on this CBR review, I decided to take a chance and pick up the first issue of Boom! Studio's adaptation of Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? For those who've never heard of it, this was the book that the movie Blade Runner was loosely based upon.

While I do like Blade Runner, I've never been a really huge fan as it seemed to me to have more style than substance. While there are a lot of great visuals and concepts, the story and the characters never set my intellect on fire. Really, it wasn't all that great or distinctive a story, IMO.

So over the years I'd heard that the movie was very much not representative of the book like so many other movie adaptations, but the thought of actually reading the book was something that never really came to fruition.

So I read the review and was fascinated by how this project was actually going to use every single word that Dick used in his book (rather than some writer's selective use of them) accompanied by traditional comic book panel layouts (as opposed to spot illustrations you might expect in similar undertakings) and was intrigued enough to give it a go.

I just read issue one, and it was outstanding! Nothing much happens actionwise in this first issue, but it's just LOADED with imagination and fascinating sci-fi concepts as you are invited into this fully realized world. The visuals aren't exactly groundbreaking in and of themselves, but they do what a project like this should do and enhance what you're reading with them.

I suppose I could save the money I would spend on a 24-issue project which costs $3.99 a pop by just buying the novel for a portion of the total cost, but I really feel like I got my money's worth here. It was a much longer read than a normal comic, and each issue also has a bonus article like Brubaker's Criminal or Incognito, the first one by Warren Ellis.

That was some nice value for my money! I've already got #2 and look forward to reading it when its turn comes (I'm about a month behind in my reading and read each comic in the order I bought them almost without exception). I wish all $4 comics provided as much thought-provoking entertainment!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
I wouldn't. I really wouldn't...

Please phrase your dissent in the form of a recommendation in order to remain on-topic. Thank you.

The Management [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.