Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
*cough*
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm...guess that depends on what you think of Scalped, huh? Read it, yet?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Incognito - Just picked up #1 by Brubaker and Phillips while they take a mini-break from Criminal. As you'd expect, it's "Melt your face right off" awesome thus far, and I expect it to be only more so. Highest reccomendation possible.

The two-page article on the Shadow in the back was great. No less than two months ago I spent a day researching the history of the Shadow and this was a surprise pleasure to read, complete with some great insight on one of comic book's most important influences.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The Marvel Noir series: so far, I've read X-Men Noir 1 & 2 and Spiderman Noir 1. They're good, I like that genre; not too tied to the original, just taking the concept of mutants against society and a guy who can shoot spider-webs into a noir detective setting. All very gritty.

X-Men: mutant criminal youths (surely misunderstood) trained/helped by headshrinker Xavier (now in prison) fight corrupt police led by Detective Magnus.

Spiderman: Aunt May is a political activist in the Great Depression, Peter her nephew and helper. Uncle Ben has been visciously tortured and murdered by the local crime lord. Terrific cliffhanger at the end of #1. It's not yet revealed how Peter becomes Spiderman.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The Unknown by Mark Waid/Boom Studios. I really enjoyed this first of four issues! Cat Allingham is an exceptional detective who has a brain tumor and six months to live. She continues to work and starts investigating the theft of a machine which Click Here For A Spoiler is designed to measure the soul. That's a spoiler because it's the last page's reveal. She has naturally become very interested in life after death.

The subject matter is captivating, Cat is likeable (even if her boobs are hanging out of tight shirts) and already I'm wondering if the final issue will have her dying and finding out the answer, somehow surviving, or just dying and leaving us guessing.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
You had me at "boobs are hanging out of tight shirts" ... [Elastic Lad] [Drool]

[Wink]

Seriously, though... I'll have to check Boom!'s website. Sounds interesting.

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You don't have to be a Marvel fan to enjoy the Young Allies 70th Anniversary Special. The great Roger Stern has done it again, writing a thrilling, funny, and lump-in-the-throat-moving story about Bucky and his fellow teenage WWII freedom fighters, following them from the Golden Age to the present.

Makes me wish Stern was writing Captain America instead of Brubaker (sorry, Bru fans, but despite flashes of brilliance, I never quite warmed to his Cap stories, and dropped the book.) Makes me wish Stern was writing the upcoming Steve Epting-drawn Golden Age extravaganza The Marvels Project instead of Brubaker (if you haven't read Stern/Epting's Invaders story from the late 90s, shame on you. The back issues of Marvel Universe are cheap and easy to find.) And it almost makes me wish Stern was taking over JSA instead of Willingham, except that I've always felt Stern and DC were never a comfortable fit, while Stern and Marvel have always fit together like a hand in glove.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So I enjoyed "The Unwritten" (Vertigo) so much that I felt it was my duty to inform more readers of its existence. Here is my review of #1:

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
So I picked up the Unwritten #1 and #2. I’ve just read #1, and it was so good, that I had to post something before I could even open #2. By the way, #1 is only $1.00. Get it while its hot folks. One of the best comics of the year and for one of the best deals.

Its beyond intriguing the mystery pulled me right in hook, line and sinker.

The narrative structure is also very dynamic and compelling. Like FC said on the previous page, Carey uses various things, such as newscasts, message boards, post-its, etc, each one important to the overall theme of the series. I’d guess the art is the same with various Mis En Scene playing a role (I’ll need to reread).

Carey also does a wonderful and underplayed job of showing how obsession with celebrity takes the spotlight in some many peoples minds while such horrible tragedies are happening around the world that so many people simply just don’t care about. But I think he’s adding in another layer of subtext…that perhaps it’s the constant goal of people to find a ‘Messiah’ in so many different ways. Too early to tell but something I’ll keep an eye out for.

Anyone who is a fan of the Harry Potter books should do themselves a favor and check this out. Its really fascinating to see the analogues.

Probably the most interesting premise for a series since Fables #1. And I still have the second issue to read.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Detective Comics #854, the first issue of the new Batwoman story by Greg Rucka and JH Williams III is *fantastic*!

There are just no words to describe how good the art is but Rucka tells an interesting and engaging story too and in one panel (on page 4 - you'll know it when you see it) does more to make me a fan of a character than most writers are able to over their entire careers.

This book has HIT written all over it so get a copy quick before they're all gone!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I am SO looking forward to this in my next subscription shipment(Monday!)... [Bouncing Boy]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Wow, the high praise of 'Tec almost takes away some of the sting of knowing Winnick is taking over Batman! (Note I said 'some' [Big Grin] )
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^

Good news - Winick is off Batman after only 6 issues!

Bad news - Tony Daniel is writing the following 6 issues!

Worse news - Winick might be coming back after that! [Frown]

[ July 10, 2009, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

OK, I went to CBS on Saturday and had to pick up 6 weeks of comics--basically all the DC's, all the Marvels, half the Vertigos and many independents. So I've decided as I blow through tihs huge pile I'm going to try to review each one over the next few weeks. I'll use thread for any 'stragglers'. Such as:

Fantastic Force - I know I'm really late to the party on this one but I picked up #1 some time ago and finally got around to reading it. I'm curious if anyone else is (Reboot? Actor Lad?). It spins out of Millar & Hitch's FF run with some new characters they introduced, and the set-up actually gives it a pretty cool premise--they exist on "Nu Earth", a man-made planet very close to our own Earth, now popularted with several billion people from the far-future in a time where Earth is essentially dead. Thus they are the "last super-team". The moniker, some may recall, was used once in the early 90's. Don't let that get you down (because I remember that era well and FF fans certainly had reason to be down during that time).

All in all, the story was actually pretty good! The set-up was original, as I said, but the first issue serves to further explore what this world can offer. The links to the far-future are not cut off, which is welcome, so there is potential for stories from there too. And the characters are all new and interesting, and I appreciate Marvel's willingness to introduce and use such characters these days.

I have no idea how this is selling but I can just tell from the current market its probably not so good. I wonder if anyone else read this?

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Fantastic Force was solicited as an ongoing, cut to a five-issue mini before #1 came out, and is now (I believe) a FOUR-issue mini. That should tell you something about how it's selling.

And you're actually the first person I've seen with a good word to say about it.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also read the bad reviews but was surprised by them. There's nothing in there that is bad at all. I think people just hate (A) Future Wolverine, (B) descendant of the Hulk or (C) the fact that it spins out of Millar & Hitch's run. All reasons why not to buy something I guess but having already bought it and wanting to give it a fair shake, I did think it was actually pretty good (not GREAT, but good).

But from what you say, I doubt there will be a follow-up mini given its already rough history [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.