Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Lardy, did you ever read those Northlander trades? Thats another one I'm curious about. I came in around 10 or 12 and read a few issues and it didn't do it for me. But it seemed to be a series better suited to a trade.

For whatever reason, I've held off on reading all those Vertigo trades I bought but am now finally getting around to them. The Northlanders trade (I only have the first one) should be read within the next week or possibly even sooner.

Before this reply, I just read the first DMZ trade. LOVED it! I'll definitely be picking up at least the next one or two of those in the near future. I'll post a review of Volume One if anyone's interested in picking DMZ up and wants my critique.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Madame Xanadu # 11 is my favorite comic of the past two weeks. The opening chapter of the first new arc since the end of the 10-part origin story, it takes place both during the 1940s and during the Spanish Inquisition, so Wagner is clearly in no hurry to get her to the present day, which I think is for the better (I hope we revisit the Camelot era someday.) Her co-creator, Michael Wm. Kaluta, is drawing this arc, which I'm guessing is his first interior art in years (decades?) and it is exquisite.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I picked up the Unwritten #1 and #2. I’ve just read #1, and it was so good, that I had to post something before I could even open #2. By the way, #1 is only $1.00. Get it while its hot folks. One of the best comics of the year and for one of the best deals.

Its beyond intriguing the mystery pulled me right in hook, line and sinker.

The narrative structure is also very dynamic and compelling. Like FC said on the previous page, Carey uses various things, such as newscasts, message boards, post-its, etc, each one important to the overall theme of the series. I’d guess the art is the same with various Mis En Scene playing a role (I’ll need to reread).

Carey also does a wonderful and underplayed job of showing how obsession with celebrity takes the spotlight in some many peoples minds while such horrible tragedies are happening around the world that so many people simply just don’t care about. But I think he’s adding in another layer of subtext…that perhaps it’s the constant goal of people to find a ‘Messiah’ in so many different ways. Too early to tell but something I’ll keep an eye out for.

Anyone who is a fan of the Harry Potter books should do themselves a favor and check this out. Its really fascinating to see the analogues.

Probably the most interesting premise for a series since Fables #1. And I still have the second issue to read.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Madame Xanadu #12 was a good issue, nice set up, and of course where Dian Belmont shows up, Wesley can't be far behind. Should be an interesting "Team up".
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so several months ago I bought four Vertigo trades that were all the first volume of their respective titles. I only recently read them all in the past few weeks, so I'll give you my opinion of each one in alphabetical order:

DMZ: The premise of this series is that America is suffering its second Civil War, and it's set only a few years in the future. Apparently, the middle class (the "Free States") has risen against the American government in protest of its concentration on overseas war campaigns and neglect of the homefront. The lack of much National Guard because of those conflicts have helped the Free States gain considerable ground. But both sides failed to secure Manhattan, so it has become the titular demilitarized zone.

The story follows Matty Roth, a photojournalist intern who was part of a documentary group, but all the rest of the crew are killed when they land. Matty stays in the DMZ and reports his experiences through blogs and video and photographs he takes.

The story hooked me really well and was very engaging and interesting. Lots of good characters and a believable premise. Honestly, the idea doesn't seem like much of a stretch with our being in a recession and all the government corruption. Some day, maybe Americans will have had enough.

It's basically a war comic from a neutral point of view. It's full of interesting ideas, gritty art and enjoyable characters. I mean, what's more fun than a long distance relationship between two snipers?

Fables: Obviously, this one came highly recommended, and the premise for the series very well-known here. Volume One was a pretty fun mystey which served the purpose well of introducing us to the concept and lots of characters who will no doubt be crucial to the series. Reading it, you really get the feeling that the surface has just barely been scratched. All of these characters have fascinating stories to tell, even though we theoretically already know all about them. Lots has happened since the familiar stories we learned about long ago. I'm curious to see what's to come.

The mystery was also the best kind with plenty of clues laid out and called back in the finale. As with the Fables themselves, all was not as it seemed.

Loveless: I was looking forward to this one a lot because I was really in the mood for a western. The idea here was that Wes Cutter is a man who fought on the wrong side during the Civil War (the real one). When he returns home after the South's defeat, he finds his land occupied by the Union forces as they reestablish their control of the area. Things get tense and escalate as Wes pretends to cooperate but engages in covert attacks on the occupying forces.

The title does a good job of exploring themes from the era that seem to be neglected often in other stories and media, such as the true causes of the Civil War, the pains and injustices of the Restoration and, of course, the complexities of racism.

The story was a little slow, though, with not much progression or resolution. I guess it's fair to say this volume is more set-up for the stories to come than anything else. Still, a decent read with some interesting lead characters. I also like the interesting storytelling used for the flashbacks as they start out as ghost images happening within the setting where the person is reminded of something important that happened.

Northlanders: This is another Brian Wood-written (he also writes DMZ) series, this one focussing on telling stories about the Vikings. From what I understand, each arc tells a different story about different characters.

Volume One tells of "Sven the Returned", a Viking prince who left to serve in the Varangian Guard of the Byzantine Empire. When Sven's father dies, he returns to his homeland to claim his inheritance. Unfortunately, the men who gained power after the father died were not cooperative. He engages in a one-man gureilla war against his usurpers that takes a lot of unexpected turns.

It's a solid story with gritty, appropriate art. It's as brutal as you'd expect a story about Vikings to be, but at the same time is not the story you'd expect--and I mean that in a good way! It's a good read that gives you a different side of Vikings than you'd expect. It's not a tender story by any means, but it's not all "mead hall and carousing" like you'd expect based on legend. It's a very harsh environment they lived in and steeped in poverty.

I'd say all of these were definitely worth reading. Of them all, Loveless is probably the one I'm least sure I'll pick further volumes of up. The other three are pretty certain with DMZ being the one I'm most eager to read the next volume of.

Northlanders has the advantage of being the most complete story and will be a complete, separate story in every arc. That's a disadvantage for fans of ongoing serials, however, and can make the title less of a priority.

Loveless was cancelled after 24 issues. How complete the story was at the end, I don't know. I know Brian Azzarello intended it to last much longer, so the concerns are obvious.

Fables has the advantage of being one of the best-loved and reviewed titles of the current decade. There's a lot of volumes out there which means there's much to look forward to!

And Brian Wood is clearly a talent to keep a close eye on as evidenced by his work on DMZ and Northlanders.

[ July 05, 2009, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: LardLad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Some of my own thoughts, and some general responses to what Lardy wrote:

DMZ – I never read this one but Tamper Lad recommended this to me a few years ago, and now you’re high praise of it makes two people whose comic book opinions commonly match my own thinking highly of it. I might check it out next time I stock up on Scalped TPB’s (which I’m overdue for).

Fables – It’ll get better and better Lardy. The second arc IIRC is also really good (better actually) and will pull you in even further.

The Unknown Soldier – Anyone looking for a gritty comic that feels like it matters, yet is not preachy, this is it.

Madame Xanadu – I agree with what Stealth said on the previous page. The latest issue was the best thus far as the series continues to grow and get better. Looking forward to the Golden Age Sandman guest-starring and the title taking on a mystery tone for a time.

Greek Street – love the premise, love Peter Milligan when he gets really offbeat and love the fact that Vertigo is offering #1’s for $1.00 these days. Just picked it up and will review when I read it.

House of Mystery – LOVED #13…now this is what I wanted from an anthology horror series. Plus, a Neal Adams story? Yes!

Also can’t give enough praise to the Unwritten and Young Liars (though its being cancelled).

And looking forward to picking up trades on Scalped and Air, the former being one of the best intro stories I’ve ever read and the latter being one I’m only slightly familiar with now and hoping to change that.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Vertigo is almost *too* good at the moment. How can I choose what to buy when there is so much quality to choose from?

I'm only getting two titles at the moment (my beloved Madame Xanadu in monthlies and Scalped in trades) but a whole bunch of others really appeal to me too like Air, The Unwritten, Northlanders, DMZ, The Unknown Soldier and House of Mystery and there are also a few cancelled series that I've still got to get into like Young Liars and Y The Last Man.

With the exception of Madame Xanadu (which more people need to be buying - it gets better and better) I'm going all trades for Vertigo so that's a lot of books to buy! As soon as I've bought some though I'll be back here to report my thoughts.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up Greek Street -was sort of wavering, but that $1 intro issue convinced me. It's pretty good. I don't give it unreserved admiration, because it's got a lot of typical Vertigo stuff in it, hoodlums, strippers, we're so gritty stuff - but using the ancient Greek stories as a basis is an interesting twist, and it looks like they've got some good supernatural murder mystery going.

Some of the name allusions I'm getting, some I'm missing. According to interviews, the writer Peter Milligan isn't going to necessarily follow the original tragedies, so the outcome, happily, isn't a forgone conclusion.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

I refuse to buy Greek Street for the reason that a similar idea was going to be my ticket to writing stardom and by beating me to it Peter Milligan has basically ruined my life.

[Big Grin]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, maybe you could do it better. Or go Roman, with Via Appia. [Wink]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I have a lot of comics to catch up on, but the first one to comment on is what I consider to be Vertigo's best, Young Liars. I picked up and read #16 and #17 and unfortunately the series ends at #18. I hope some others here might pick up the trade sometime if its released.

This is by far the craziest, weirdest, provacative and yet most thought-provoking series I've read in a long, long time. I'm still having trouble understanding it, yet thats part of the fun. I've never really read much by David Lapham before but I can only assume he's completely and utterly insane.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Continuing my ongoing commentary of all the comics I'm trying to read through in the gigantic stack from the last (6) weeks, I'll add two more:

Unwritten #3 - This comic continues to be incredibly intriguing and I'm so glad I'm getting in on the ground floor. Most interesting to me is the literary history Carey gives us each issue. I'm dying to find out how much of it is true! If that castle really exists where Milton created his idea for Satan and Mary Shelley was inspired to create Frankenstein, I must go see it!

Greek Street - I picked up the first issue since basically everything Vertigo is awesome these days and thought it was very intresting as well. Definitely something different. I'm not sure exactly how to even describe it but its unique. I'm not sure where its going but I'm willing to follow. The idea of the 'power' of the Ancient myths is very appealing to me.

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
What's Unwritten about? I don't think I've heard of it before.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Official summary of The Unwritten. There are mysteries upon mysteries, and lots of historical tidbits about famous writers and where they lived.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Blacula
Easy

I'm going all Trade for Vertigo so was holding off on Unwritten but these historical text(?) pages have me intrigued. Are they supplemental to the main story or included in it? And do they seem like the type of things that will be included in the TPB or are they more like DC Nation/letter column type pages?
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.