Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Let me ramble on a bit about a Vertigo original - “Shade the Changing Man”. Synchronicity seems to be at work on some level to bring me to want to post about this series. Consider:

1. Lard Lad posted about this series a few months ago on his Roundtable Discussion thread. I realized, then, that it had been years since I had read any of the issues and put the series on my reading list. Well, I finally got around to starting the rereading project early last month. I’m about three quarters of the way through the series.

2. DC released two trade paperbacks last week collecting the first 13 issues of the series. As part of the promotion, the first issue of the series is available for download at the DC website. I own every issue of the series except for issue #1. This promotion finally gave me an opportunity to read that story.

3. Last week, I was reading through this thread and came across a conversation a few pages back about the Sandman’s, “Game of You” storyline. Stealth mentioned not being a fan of the presentation of Wanda, the transgender character, in that story. I recalled posts in other threads, by Stealth and others, critical of the Sean/Shvaughn storyline in the Legion on similar grounds. Colleen Doran illustrated that story. While re-reading Shade, I recalled that Colleen Doran also the drew the “Shade, the Changing Woman” issues of the series, which gave us another controversial take on transgender issues.

4. The Legion/Shade parallel on transgender issues reminded me of similar reactions that the two series received regarding lesbian relationships. Shade’s girlfriend, Kathy George, became sexually and romantically involved with the female character, Lenny, about half way through the series. Fan reaction to the “change” in orientation was similar to fan response in the Legion over the Vi and Ayla relationship.

5. There are some interesting recent posts on this thread about John Constantine. Today, I read the three-part storyline from “Shade, the Changing Man” issues #42 through #44, in which Constantine joined Shade, Kathy, and Lenny on a trip to the past that landed them in the middle of the witch trials of America. The story confronted the issue of abortion as directly, evenly and honestly as any work of fiction that I can recall.

So here I am posting about “Shade, the Changing Man”. I’m not sure that I have a point. Just a few observations. This is a crazy and unique series. At times, it comes fairly close to being incoherent. At other times it feels like an experiment in writing that doesn’t quite hit the mark. Never mind the flaws, though. This series is entertaining just because of all the different things that it tries. The effort to make it something special is interesting on many different levels. When it does manage to hit the mark, it can be quite profound. The artwork is experimental and fun. The series evolves as it goes along. I’m finding that I’m enjoying the later issues more than the early ones. I know Lardi is a fan. Anyone else have any thoughts on this series? If you’ve never read it, I highly recommend the new trades.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally finished re-reading the Shade sereis. I had forgotten some of the fun characters that were introduced later in the series. How could I have forgotten Shimmy, who entered the series via a sex ad that Lenny responded to? He considered himself to be living art. Pandora, the prostitute statue who Shade's madness brought to life added some depth to the series. Lenny's long ago abandoned daughter, Lilly, came into the picture. Her presence made Lenny a bit more likable, I guess, but less fun. Kathy and Shade's son, George, was tragic and insightful. Andrea Murdoch, the cutthroat writer who stole Kathy's body from its grave evolved into an almost sympathetic character. The last of the Angels developed a series of uncomfortable medical conditions and was then reincarnated as a sympathetic young woman. Sinita was one of my favorites. Shade's final girlfriend ended up having an affair with his wardrobe. What a fun group!

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Never read Shade but it sounds crazy, in a good way. I checked out the trades at amazon and the covers look a bit psychedelic. Issue #1 is still available for free download at the Vertigo site (downloading as I type).

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
A few updates:

Madame Xanadu - the latest story has been really excellent IMO. The 50's commentary is interesting but I'm glad it doesn't consume the entire storyline. The bugs keep an ongoing sense of uneasiness throughout the storyline that continues to set Madame Xanadu apart from everything else stylistically. And that art!

Unknown Soldier - continues to be excellent and I'm running out of adjectives to praise it. I hope more people will check it out!!

The Unwritten also continues to be very good and the latest issues deepen the mystery. I do hope we get a few answers soon as there is enough mystery going around to keep the series sense of intrigue strong. The commentary the series provides on celebrity, the fans sense of 'ownership' over art and people's need to connect to something 'exotic' is fascinating. This is probably the best work by Carey I've ever read.

House of Mystery - lately I haven't been enjoying HoM as much. Part of the draw for me has been the short stories that are really "out there" and there's been a little too much focus on the plot of the house IMO. Part of my reasons for saying that is we aren't really learning anything. If they aren't going to give us the goods, cut the teasing out and give me something to bite into. Still, I've enjoyed some of the bit players getting more scenes, particularly the dragon.

I'm considering picking up Daytripper or Joe the Barbarian when they arrive but I'll reserve that decision until I'm actually in the comic book store. I already regret missing Air but look forward to collecting that in trades. But while both seem like they could be interesting, both seem like they could go the other way.

Also, as an aside to Lardy, I plan to pick up the latest Scalped trades in the next few weeks (with the aforementioned Air trades) and will review those when I get to them. I can't wait, as both of those series have been just plain excellent from what I've read.

PS - anyone reading Northlanders? I dropped it after a three issue tryout but have been curious if I was too rash in my decision.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, I grabbed a copy of Daytripper. It was a solid read, an intriguing first issue. There's really no way to describe it yet, as I'm not sure what it is about- other than an obituary writer.

The artwork is great, you can see Ba had a hand in it. We're introduced to a man and shown a day in his life. When the cliffhanger happens to close the story, I was invested enough to see what hapens next. With nothing more to recommend it, I still say it's worth the read in and of itself.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also picked up a copy of Daytripper #1 and I'm glad I did. You put the way I was reacting to it: "solid read, an intriguing first issue". It definitely is hard to describe and all I can really say it was fascinating enough where I feel I have to get #2 just to understand what the comic is about and where this story is going.

The art is great as you say. Ba and Moon do a solid job and yeah, you definitely can see the Ba/Umbrella Academy influence here. I think a good way to describe the entire issue, both art & writing, is: full of atmosphere. A very cool read.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The most recent issue of Hellblazer is Peter Milligan's strongest to date, with Constantine investigating dirty supernatural dealings in the Bollywood film industry. Problem is, even though it's an interesting story whose subject matter and subtext obviously mean a lot to Milligan, Constantine himself feels like a fifth wheel. I'm not convinced yet that Milligan isn't just approaching Hellblazer as something to pay the bills so that he can do the stuff that really matters to him. Over the past quarter century of Constantine's existence, there have inevitably developed a stock Constantine characterization and stock Hellblazer situations. Milligan seems to be the priest in charge of a shotgun wedding of these stock elements and the stuff that he's personally interested in. It makes for a good story, just not a good Hellblazer story.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Read the lastest Unknown Soldier last night which kicks off a new story-arc. Wow, this comic is the most hard-boiled thing on the market today. Incredibly intense, even when its a relatively non-violent, slow burn like this in this issue. Here we see what life in the refugee camps was like on a normal day and its just not some place I'd ever want to be. Meanwhile, the Unknown Soldier struggles to maintain his resolution to stay peaceful (which will know will not happen). The realistic setting of the Ugandian Civil War remains ever-present but the story of the Unknown Soldier himself continues to move along, and I can't help but feel there's only a limited number of stories that can be told before things end for him. Hopefully that's a few years away as this comic is one of the best around.

Joshua Drysart (writer) has another editorial page in this issue and its again some pretty powerful stuff. If I was Professor of a Modern African Politics course at a college or university, I think I'd make my students subscribe to this series.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The current arc of Madame Xanadu is not engaging me the way the previous ones did. Matt Wagner's scripts have felt like rough drafts with lots of ideas that don't mesh with each other. It's also way too early to bring back the character who has been cast as the villain of the story.

If the last Madame Xanadu arc brought back memories of the late 80s -- Vertigo Before It Had A Name -- this one recalls the mid 90s, when Vertigo had just officially launched and was a bit over-impressed with its own coolness.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I read the first two trades of Air in the last 24 hours (10 issues worth) and that itself says something about how I simply could not put the series down. The series has gotten a lot of praise and I can say honestly, it far exceeds the hype.

Not only is the series completely unique with it's premise, the execution of each issue is as well. In a lot of ways I'm still figuring out what the series is about, and that's not a bad thing. Everytime I get through an issue, my notion of the series changes yet again.

What I know is the lead character Blythe is very engaging and likable. And the sense of mystery is so ever-present that the only thing I can compare it to is Lost. There are a lot of larger themes being discussed: as existential as whether concepts and stories have helped create reality or vice versa, and as strait-forward as how our reliance and definitions of modern maps unfairly influences our view on the world. Plus there is ongoing commentary on airports and security as you'd expect.

The art by M.J. Perkins is terrific. I keep thinking Blythe looks like someone I know, but that could just be good writing.

I can't recommend the series enough. I will put a disclaimer up though: this series asks a bit from the reader in terms of patience and sitting back and letting things unfold. You'll simply be unable to guess where it's going despite all these questions nagging you. But the payoffs do come. And I just couldn't pull away until I finished all the stories I currently own.

And Amelia Earhardt is in it.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^ Sold. I've been meaning to get into Air for a while and that's just the push I need.

On another note, I noticed the first Unwritten TPB has now been released. I was wondering if anyone who had bought/read/flicked through it could tell me whether it includes those text/info pieces that CK (I think) mentioned upthread?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Blacula, I haven't seen the TPB myself but I would think it would because usually they are spread troughout each issue, not just at the end.

This is probably the most exciting Vertigo has been since before it was officially Vertigo. Everytime I turn around another great series pops up.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
The current arc of Madame Xanadu is not engaging me the way the previous ones did. Matt Wagner's scripts have felt like rough drafts with lots of ideas that don't mesh with each other. It's also way too early to bring back the character who has been cast as the villain of the story.

If the last Madame Xanadu arc brought back memories of the late 80s -- Vertigo Before It Had A Name -- this one recalls the mid 90s, when Vertigo had just officially launched and was a bit over-impressed with its own coolness.

I just read the latest Madame Xanadu myself (#18); I do agree that its not quite as strong as the prior arc, but this latest issue picks things up and kind of gets the story on that level of quality a bit IMO. It was a bit of a slow starter (when compared with that last really excellent two arcs) but hopefully we're cooking again.

Morgaine Le Fay (Morgana here) is a character I usually hate in comic books when she's used but she works well in this series and her return is welcome. Meanwhile, Dr. Occult, whom I've always loved, is also great to have. The main plot hasn't really been explained but I'm hoping there's a bit more to it.

The art by Amy Reader Hadly and Richard Friend is really spectacular stuff--full of energy leaping off every page. They also do a great job having Madame Xanadu appear very powerful and strong on some pages and then very vulnerable and almost "little girlish" in others. Its a great back and forth.

I think its still a solid comic and while this story isn't quite as striking as the earlier ones, its still a pretty solid one--a great ending could be all it needs.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

With the Human Target television series about to begin, it reminded me of the totally excellent Human Target series by Vertigo a few years back (I remember Stu and I collected by not sure who else). It was an excellent, incredible series, and I put it in Lash's "Top 5 Comics" thread I believe when that thread started (2004?).

Peter Milligan wrote the series and it was Milligan at his finest. Each story had some poignant, powerful scenes and was loaded with in depth characterization that went to some pretty dark places. Milligan took the concept of the Human Target, a long time DC property, and made it a series about constant self-discovery. I remember it came out not long after 9/11 and Milligan went right ahead and addressed 9/11 right in the story, not batting an eye or sugar coating anything. He was probably the first writer to do that in a non-tributary way. All of his stories were like that.

This was also the series where I discovered Javier Pulido, who is one of my favorite current artists in comics these days. His work is a little like Darwyn Cooke and Marcos Martin though its completely his own. He also has a very action-oriented, dynamic style despite the clear, crisp lines. He actually is drawing a great Spider-Man story in ASM right now (which reminds me, I'll post something there next).

If you have never checked this series out before I think its totally worth it.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I also picked up a copy of Daytripper #1 and I'm glad I did. You put the way I was reacting to it: "solid read, an intriguing first issue". It definitely is hard to describe and all I can really say it was fascinating enough where I feel I have to get #2 just to understand what the comic is about and where this story is going.

The art is great as you say. Ba and Moon do a solid job and yeah, you definitely can see the Ba/Umbrella Academy influence here. I think a good way to describe the entire issue, both art & writing, is: full of atmosphere. A very cool read.

Daytripper #2 is out. And a great story to read. It's a done in one type story, as we get a glimpse of a couple of men on vacation, making the most of their trip. I'm not quite sure the tie in to the first issue, but I'm still interested in reading more.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.