Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Thought the bookends were decent enough, but the Annuals between were forgettable (and unnecessary to the story to boot).
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I still have these books. Maybe I'll try digging them out this weekend.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, after not reading a single comic for a week thanks to a delightful distraction known as "adjusting to having a baby at home", I was able to sneak a few in tonight while we await the baby's eventual nighttime feeding round #1. Two of them were Vertigo comics, two of the many excellent ones these days.

American Vampire #2 is out and I couldn't wait to read it--and now I'm dying to read #3! Everything Lardy and I said about how good the opening issue was remains the same if not magnified. Not only does Stephen King do the incredible job we're all hoping and expecting in the second half, I have to say with all honesty that Scott Snyder, series creator & writer of the first half, does an equally impressive and awesome job. Both writers excel at showing the true horror of a vampire story, which is a must-have for me in all vampire stories (take note please Twilight). It takes a lot to scare me these days, but I can still take delight in getting just plain old creeped out or impressed by some horrific imagery and storylines. And AV has that in spades. Pearl, our "protagonist" in the first story is not above some gruesome vampire violence, which is a welcome differentiation from the usual reluctant vampire we see these days. Meanwhile, Skinner Sweet, the horrific star of the second half (and important player in Pearl's story as well) is just kind of awesome to see on on the page.

Let me put it this way: to those of you who say you "can't stand vampire stories" and they "are just not my thing". Pick this up and try it. I think you'll be surprised. This is quite different from what you've unfortunately had thrown in your face these days. It's awesomely stylistic and horrifying like Lost Boys was when it debuted.

Meanwhile, I also read the latest Madame Xanadu in which the story switches back to the present (which here is the 1950's I believe) after an incredible few issue detour into the ancient past. I'd almost forgotten Detective John Jones was in the story and it was a great reminder to see him; Wagner does a great job just making the reader want more and more J'onn while at the same time giving us the dosage of Madame Xanadu we really want. The writing is so tight here and the art is so beautiful that I can't recommend this series enough.

So many great Vertigo series I'm collecting these days. Just to round them up: Fables, Scalped, Air, Unknown Soldier, Madame Xanadu, American Vampire, House of Mystery, Unwritten, Daytripper, and soon I, Zombie. Not only do I want to catch up on some classics I missed per all your suggestions, but the Vertigo Crime TPB's are also looking pretty appetizing as well. Plus, one of these days I'll get to DMZ and maybe give Northlanders another try...

[ May 07, 2010, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Caught up with two more Vertigo titles--both of which are also excellent.

Unwritten ended the story in which Joseph Goebbels played a part and we learn a bit more about the nature of what stories mean in the series. This arc was really excellent and definitely revived my enthusiasm in the series--not that it was waning, but the previous arc at the prison was a little slower than I would have liked. We continue to learn more about the nature of the series while getting some really metaphysical stories. And I also read the latest issue, which was a one-off of one of the characters from earlier in the series, stuck in a a Winnie the Pooh type story which was just great. Carey gives a standalone story that fits in with all the classic Vertigo stories in Sandman, Lucifer and elsewhere. Great stuff.

I also read the latest Daytripper which was also terrific. What a really great, unique series this is. It also really works strongly as a 10 issue maxiseries--if it seemed to be going on indefinitely, I might start to wonder what the point was; but because its self-contained, I can't help but be incredibly intrigued by how each story ends. Each issue is jam-packed with emotional resonance and they really nail on triggering similar feelings within me, the reader, that they, the creative team, obviously have that went into creating the storyline.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Just now finished reading the $1 "What's Next?" edition of Scalped #1... and so the first trade goes on my June DCBS order. [LOL] Good call, Lardster! [Yes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Just now finished reading the $1 "What's Next?" edition of Scalped #1... and so the first trade goes on my June DCBS order. [LOL] Good call, Lardster! [Yes]

Wow! It just took one issue? What can I say...I'm good! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
quote:

That's what she said!!!
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
quote:

That's what she said!!!
Badda-BING! [Big Grin]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

So...when will the Devinator give in and try Scalped? [Hmmm?]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

If it's 1.00, I'll give that a shot.
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Hellblazer was really great again. I'm especially excited now that Lenny and Shade have joined the cast. Can't wait for Shade and John to interact. I think John may find the cure worse than the disease.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I read American Vampire #3 tonight and the series just continues to get better and better. I highly recommend this to anyone who is jaded by vampires due to recent pop-culture phenoms. This is vampires as they should be: freaking terrifying. And seeing it in past historical eras makes it all the better.

This was the first issue so far where I felt like the first story by Scott Snyder was actually even more engaging than Stephen King's second story. Both have been excellent so far but King was edging Snyder out. Here, I felt Snyder is really hitting his pace and we're in for a treat from both.

One of the things I like the most is Rafeal Albuquerque's depiction of the "American Vampires" Skinner Sweet & Pearl when they go into vampire mode. Really wild! It's very EC Comics-esque with some gritty, scariness. You just know limbs and heads are going to be going flying. [Big Grin]

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Based on recommendations here, I put aside the first trade of Unwritten so my kinds could get it for me for Father's Day. Now I just need time to read it.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Currently in the midst of a short vacation, I'm in the midst of catching up on some trades I've been stockpiling for awhile. Last night it was DMZ Vol. 7: War Powers. I initially talked up DMZ Volume One here after picking up a bunch of Vertigo trades at the same time. After reading Volume 1, I quickly gathered up 2-7 and devoured them up to 6 in quick succession. For some reason I stopped short of reading 7, not because the trades were getting any less good but, I guess, because I knew Volume 8 wasn't out, and I wouldn't be able to read more for awhile.

Well, last night I read War Powers and was amazed at how much I recalled of the complex events of the first 6 trades as I read this one. Honestly, it's a pretty complex story, but Wood writes it in a manner that gives you all the information you need to recall prior events. Now, I definitely wouldn't recommend reading these trades out of sequence, don't get me wrong, but it speaks to how memorable the story and characters are that I wouldn't be lost after not having read the last volume since some time last year.

Another thing is that the basic premise has changed as far as the involvement of journalist Matty Roth. Without giving everything away, this is no longer the story of an impartial journalist documenting the goings-on in a war zone. I think anyone who would live in such conditions would find it hard, especially considering the nature of the fictional story of a new American Civil War.

In any case Matty's gone from being a journalist to being a power player politically in the American DMZ that is Manhattan. Wood could have written Matty as a journalist trying to just report from beginning to end in this series, but I think the route he's taken is more realistic and involving.

This volume particularly seems to show Matty's last gasp as a journalist as it opens with him going to Staten Island and witnessing firsthand how some American soldiers on opposing sides may be inclined to ignore what they are supposed to be doing and try to forge peace in their own way. Until it all goes horribly wrong, that is.

Then, it's back to Manhattan where Matty finally makes a surprising choice about what to do when certain dominos fall. Can't say much more without giving away some MAJOR plot developments!

The art, primarily by series co-creator Riccardo Burchielli, is just terrific and everything you'd want it to be for a comic like this one: detailed, gritty and beautiful in its own way. It's a little reminiscent of Geof Darrow's linework, I'd say, but without the more exaggerated flourishes he's added at times. Nice, solid work.

I definitely like this Vertigo comic. Today I bought Volume 8 among a few other trades (all Fables, btw [Smile] ) purchased with a gift card my lovely wife gave me for Father's Day. I suspect I won't be waiting very long to read it!

(And to a certain poster--I still haven't forgotten! I'll get to it! [Smile] )

[ July 01, 2010, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Chief Taylor ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I can't wait to check DMZ out!
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.