Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 21)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
I finally got into the right mood and read a couple of Vertigo trades I'd bought on eBay lots a while ago based on the recommendation of one Mr. Cobaltus. These are the first two trades ("Haunted House" and "Easy Kill") of the latest Unknown Soldier series that was cancelled fairly recently.

In a word: wow.

Based on the first fourteen issues collected in those trades, Unknown Soldier deserved to be recognized as one of Vertigo's Elite series. Instead, it's sales were in the toilet, so it ended with issue 25.

This series is a combination of two essential elements: 1) the trappings of the classic DC character reimagined into a compelling mystery, not as to whom the title character is but as to how or why he's apparently been trained and programmed as a highly trained black ops soldier with him having no memory of same, and 2) the real world backdrop of Uganda circa 2002 amidst an insurgency rife with human rights violations.

It's the latter of these particularly that drew me into this book. While I had heard vaguely of such things as children being kidnapped and conditioned to become part of insurgent armies, I'd never heard of the LRA or Joseph Kony or of the Acholi or of Musevini. Writer Joshua Dysart educated me through his dramatizations about something that I suppose the news media doesn't find "sexy" enough to cover the way it should. It's absolutely horrifying to know that things like this happens in the real world. I mean, I knew it did, but to see specifics and know that what I was seeing dramatized here wasn't a stretch at all was disturbing in a way that pure fiction is not.

But on top of all that, Unknown Soldier is a great story with memorable, compelling characters. The title character is complex and conflicted. His wife, who becomes estranged from him thru the circumstances of the story, and an ex-CIA agent with some apparent knowledge of the Soldier's origin are his main supporting characters. Also prominent are an actress trying to bring attention to Uganda's conditions and a young boy who the Soldier rescues from the LRA's conscription. All of them draw you into the story and make you want to read more.

These volumes just feel like important and necessary reads. If you read them, I don't think you'll regret that you had, even though the images and the horrors within are all the more terrifying because they are based on truth. Utterly compelling reading.

I know after I finished both volumes, I looked up Kony and the LRA to find out what happened to them. We heard a lot about Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, but even what those two have done may not compare to the horrors this man and his LRA terrorists have committed in Africa. And both are still on the loose and spreading their terror further and further.

My only regret is that I don't already have the two concluding volumes to read now. Well, that and that there aren't going to be any more.

Thanks, Des!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[Yes]

I knew you would love it. It was a fantastic series on every level. I think maybe it was too heavy and intense for a lot of casual fans. But honestly even though it felt incredibly important there was never a sense of it being preachy. It had fantastic characters, an action-packed adventure feel and a badass tone and atmosphere.

By far one of the best series in years. Though I wish it went longer, it was a potent dose of comic book excellence while it was around and I hope others check it out.

Oh, and the Unknown Soldier continuity twists and turns at the end were awesome.

No, it wasn't preachy, but it made you care, nonetheless. Foremost, it was an excellent, gripping story with with involving characters. All with some heartwrenching, unpredictable twists. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it! In the end what more could you ask for in a book?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the reviews ... I've been wondering about this one
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I've been catching up on some Vertigo comics before DC unleashes far too many comics at once. And in recent months, one Vertigo comic in particular has made the jump from "most promissing new series" to "current classic, high-quality series head and shoulders above the rest". I'm talking about the amazing American Vampire.

We've thrown a lot of praise at this comic in this thread and all of that remains true. From a story-telling perspective, the writing, art and characterization is as good as it gets in comic books these days. I feel that the latest stories set in WWII--both the main ongoing in the Pacific and the tie-in miniseries "Survival of the Fittest" in Europe--have taken the series to a new level, putting it on par with Y: the Last Man, Fables, Sandman, and all the other great Vertigo series of the past. Yes, it really is that good.

It's a rare thing when a series consistently combines mystery / suspense, pure adreniline filled action and a major dose of true horror; yet AV does that every issue. Both of the current storylines truly are scary as all hell. There are some damn frightening moments each issue.

I'm loving the Pacific theater story because we get to see Skinner, Pearl and Henry (all three of whom have become some of the most fully realized characters in comics already). But the story in Germany with the shift in focus to a new character and previously supporting-role only character is equally fantastic.

Quite simply, this is the best vampire story I've read since Salem's Lot; which coincidently, is what I consider the single greatest vampire story of all time (yes, including Stoker's Dracula).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also read the latest issue of Unwritten which is spending some time moving the overall larger story-arc forward, which is what is really needed at this point. Solicitations for upcoming months reveal we are going to get a plethora of answers revealed at long last, and I'm glad to hear it. I think we've hit that point where answers need to be given, things need to be made clearer and the story needs to transition to something of a penultimate act.

As Tommy & co. focus on flashback's to Wilson Taylor's life and an awesome new character introduced, we get a bit of a side story that delves into a narrative about comic books, pulp fiction and other early "American" forms of story-telling at the beginning of the last century. Since Unwritten is absolutely a book that discusses and explores 'writing' as a concept, this was a topic that had to come up eventually. I admit that at first I was a little hesitant because I feel like I've recently read several great stories that were more about discussing comics as a medium than the actual story within (Image's "Bulletproof Coffin" being one of the best). However, the delivery has been quite good so far. There are certainly several poignant points of view made that clicked for me.

I also enjoy the idea of a famous pulp writer from the 1930's being a woman using a psuedonym. Wilson and her discussing the Shadow and Doc Savage as those pulps were then coming out is interesting and lets the reader feel for the briefest of moments what it might have been like to live during a time when original pulp stories were coming right off the newstands.

Overall, I'm still enjoying Unwritten immensely. I sometimes forget about it when I'm thinking about all the other great Vertigo titles like Fables, American Vampire and Scalped, but I also end up enjoying the latest issues when I get around to them. Its maintained its experimental personality and that's kept things surprising and interesting.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
So I've been catching up on some Vertigo comics before DC unleashes far too many comics at once. And in recent months, one Vertigo comic in particular has made the jump from "most promissing new series" to "current classic, high-quality series head and shoulders above the rest". I'm talking about the amazing American Vampire.

We've thrown a lot of praise at this comic in this thread and all of that remains true. From a story-telling perspective, the writing, art and characterization is as good as it gets in comic books these days. I feel that the latest stories set in WWII--both the main ongoing in the Pacific and the tie-in miniseries "Survival of the Fittest" in Europe--have taken the series to a new level, putting it on par with Y: the Last Man, Fables, Sandman, and all the other great Vertigo series of the past. Yes, it really is that good.

It's a rare thing when a series consistently combines mystery / suspense, pure adreniline filled action and a major dose of true horror; yet AV does that every issue. Both of the current storylines truly are scary as all hell. There are some damn frightening moments each issue.

I'm loving the Pacific theater story because we get to see Skinner, Pearl and Henry (all three of whom have become some of the most fully realized characters in comics already). But the story in Germany with the shift in focus to a new character and previously supporting-role only character is equally fantastic.

Quite simply, this is the best vampire story I've read since Salem's Lot; which coincidently, is what I consider the single greatest vampire story of all time (yes, including Stoker's Dracula).

Cobester, as fellow mods on Gym'll's, I think it's past time we gave AmVamp its own thread, eh? I mean, fuck, Severed's got IT'S own thread, and it just came out!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Agreed!

(sometimes I feel like I start too many threads here, so I'd be glad if the honors went to you!)

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Agreed!

(sometimes I feel like I start too many threads here, so I'd be glad if the honors went to you!)

Awright, but you asked for it... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished Air, volume 4 (the final volume). It was a fascinating story, and my first thought on finishing it was that I have to go back and reread it from the beginning.

As an adventure story, it's pretty straight-forward, lots of variety and well-paced. However, the ideas behind the story often seemed just beyond my grasp - all that stuff about symbols and Quezecoatl. I guess I'll never be a hyperpract.

This isn't a condemnation by any means: it's rare to find a comic/graphic novel that makes you think this much and introduces ideas you hadn't considered before.

Whatever G. Willow Wilson may write in the future will certainly attract my attention. (I haven't read her relaunch of Mystic yet.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I've been meaning to read Air for a while. Once I finally finish my Young Liars, Scalped and Y: The Last Man trades I think that one will be next.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
^ I've been meaning to read Air for a while. Once I finally finish my Young Liars, Scalped and Y: The Last Man trades I think that one will be next.

Still collecting Scalped trades, eh, Blacula? Good to hear! Wasn't sure if you were still following it due to your displeasure with the character of Red Crow.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Also, def review Young Liars when you read them! Perhaps the most out there series (in an awesome way) of the last 10 years!

I still need to get Air vol 3&4 and can't wait for it. Utterly fantastic series.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Lard Lad: The writing/art in the first three Scalped TPBs was definitely good enough that I could overlook my annoyance with Red Crow and buy the rest (though I haven't actually had time to read them yet). I think I might wait until the series is finished and then start reading it again from the beginning. I find some of these finite Vertigo series' read better that way.

Cobalt Kid: I read the first TPB of Young Liars a while ago and was blown away by how crazy it was. Literally every issue ended in the most out-there shock or cliff-hanger. I definitely enjoyed it but decided I would leave reading the rest until I had time to properly enjoy them all. I'll start that series again soon too and definitely do a review.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I look forward to reading your thoughts when you catch up on Scalped, Blac!

Speaking of Scalped, I read Scalped #51 recently, the first part of the "Knuckle Up" arc (this arc being the penultimate 5-parter of the series with another to follow that brings the book to a close with issue 60).

We're almost ready to turn out the lights on one of the greatest books running, and the opener to this arc definitely feels like that's the case. Red Crow is suddenly looking to clean up the Prairie Rose reservation and is making some enemies in the process. Dash and another injured party look to exact some revenge on someone they they feel has it coming. And overall characters seem to be converging. Plus, the issue ends with one character's most loyal ally apparently preparing for a shocking betrayal!

This is Aaron and Guera's masterpiece, and I'm stoked to see where it ends up, even as I dread only having 9 issues left to savor. The writing and art are topnotch in such a way that I think these creators should go down as one of the classic writer/artist combos. I never knew how much I needed a crime noir comic set on an Indian reservation until I discovered Scalped!

Simply put, I think Scalped is arguably the best series on the stands right now, and I strongly encourage anyone who has thought about trying it or who likes noirish entertainment with a heavy dose of character to do yourself a favor and TRY IT OUT, ALREADY!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

As Vertigo begins to consolidate its line a bit, one of the titles I’ve been collecting, House of Mystery is coming to an end. I’m actually pleased to see this happening, as even though I’ve enjoyed HoM over the years, it’s always been my least favorite of the Vertigo titles and I’ve considered dropping it several times. What’s stopped me from doing so is the fact that I like the story-within-a-story aspect to it, which made it so different.

Yet, as the series progressed, one of the most jarring things was the bigger picture mythology became increasingly confusing and complex without any real resolution to it. It had gotten so unwieldy that it didn’t really make any sense and I realized I wasn’t really caring if it did anymore. Matt Sturges was forced with #41 to wrap up the storyline and I’m glad the deadline was there, because at least he was able to finish things up and put a bow around it. I’ll never know if this was his original intention but I appreciate the closure and am ready to move on.

There is an issue #42 to come with three short stories that I’ll probably pick up, including one by Fables’ Bill Willingham and one by former HoS writer Steven T. Seagle. As I said, I like the super-weird short story aspect of it all.

Undoubtedly, this series was getting the axe from me as my pull list is growing in light of such incredible independent and creator owned now coming out, plus DC’s DCnU titles being much better than I originally thought. Still, I don’t regret buying it because every few issues had some real moments of pure brilliance.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Also, the Vertigo comics are running a preview for Marzi, an OGN written by someone who was a child in the Ukraine during the Chernobyl meltdown and grew up right after. The preview pages are rife with tension and anxiety and I really enjoyed them! I may pick this up.
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.