Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: Scalped # 52.

Lots of really cool stuff happened, but best of all--

THE NUNCHUKS ARE BACK, BABY!!! [Yes] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Hellblazer #285 - "The Devil's Trenchcoat" keeps rolling along as things start to come together (as well as getting messier). John tries to track down the forces Gemma made a deal with, while the Trenchcoat claims new victims and makes its way to new York and eventually to the same mafia family that has John in its sites after the botched curse form the previous issue. I liked the description of the coat as a lightning rod for all the garbage magic around John, and that without it he's vulnerable to a lot of things he wasn't before.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Fans of the Unwritten are probably like me right now and flipping over the awesomeness that is coming these next few months. We got a taste of it with the latest issue, as Tommy & company start getting real answers for the first time all series. The 3+ year build-up actually works to great effect here because I'm anxiously awaiting each little tidbit that Carey delivers, and so far he's not letting me down on the promise of more info.

Plus, seeing Tommy start coming into his own in his understanding of the magic is also nice to see.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Hellblazer Annual 2011 was easily my book of the week. What a great stand alone story that echos Milligan's tone in the main series. If anyone's interested in what the main series is like these days this is a perfect entry point.

John's called back to Liverpool to investigate the disappearance of his childhood friend 40 years ago. It quickly becomes apparent that he was the victim of "Suicide Bridge", a phantom structure that still calls out to children today. Things go bad, as usual, and John struggles to try and save the lost souls the bridge harbors, but John's also struggling for redemption as there's a reason his friend ended up at the bridge, and we're reminded why it's never safe to be a friend of Constantine.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Hellblazer # 286 The Devil's Trenchcoat concludes with John confronting the hitman wearing his coat, while also dealing with Gemma's messy bargain and the ever encroaching presence of his Father-in-Law. An emotional ending as Gemma is able to manipulate John for a change due to his own guilt and sets up the next arc in which John will return to Hell to bargain for his lost sister. Great stuff.
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I did think the 286 wrapped up a bit too quickly, I was expecting a full on new story arc where John goes to New York and the entire mafia are after him.

can't wait for John to go to Hell and see him interact with his sister !

I'll have to pick up the Hellblazer Annual, I skipped it on the shelves because it wasn't drawn by Camuncoli ...

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Unwritten has now entered a phase where I think its reaching the heights of other past Vertigo greats, such as Sandman, Y: the Last Man, Fables and others. The most recent issues have been so fantastic that the series has gradually rose to the top of my reading pile each month.

Carey & Gross are weaving an incredibly complex series here. I think perhaps only Sandman the level of depth that Unwritten has, in terms of analyzing the idea of 'stories'.

The other ongoing Vertigo series I'm collecting right now, Fables and American Vampire, are fantastic, and this is not only right there alongside them, but an arguement could be made that it is better even. (And wow, only three Vertigo series right now? I guess that will change with all the new launches coming up).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^ At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll reiterate again how damn good Unwritten has gotten in the last few months. It's suddenly emerged as a comic I want at the very top of my pile every month.

Meanwhile, I see Vertigo is launching (4) new series in the next month or so. They all look interesting in their own ways and I will hopefully try most of them out. Certainly Saucer County looks good, and I'll naturally pick up Fairest for a few issues because of the Fables tie-in. Anyone else plan to pick up some of these?

Also, anyone collecting Spaceman? I didn't continue after #1 because it just didn't seem like it was for me. I'm curious if anyone kept going and what their thoughts are.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Also, anyone collecting Spaceman? I didn't continue after #1 because it just didn't seem like it was for me. I'm curious if anyone kept going and what their thoughts are.

I bought the first two issues and decided not to continue. The first didn't do much for me. The second almost hooked me, but I decided not enough. I think that if Azzarello didn't have that annoying feaux-futuristic dialogue in it, it'd be much better actually. Oh well. Reviewers aren't exactly lavishing praise on it at the websites I trust, so I don't think it's just me. [shrug]

As for Unwritten, I've owned that first trade for almost 2 years and still haven't gotten to it! maybe soon-ish? [Confused]

BTW, how caught up are you on Scalped, Cobie? [Hmmm?]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm way behind on Scalped! I'm hoping to put in a big trade order sometime soon since I've got so many things I want to catch-up on or check out.

Especially with it coming to an end soon, I'm thinking of just picking up all the trades I'm missing and then grabbing the last 1 or 2 once they're out.

I'm not much of a TPB person at all, but I have to admit there's a certain level of enjoyability in sitting down with a nice thick six issues of Scalped to sink my teeth into at one clip.

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Saucer Country #1

As a former resident of New Mexico, who has a great love for the state, I couldn't pass this book up after reading the solicitations. I'm really glad I got it. It captures the unique spirit of New Mexico. Governor Alvarado promises to be a complex and interesting character. It looks like the supporting cast is going to be solid. The mixture of politics and aliens is a perfect fit for the Vertigo brand.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Looking forward to checking it out, Jerry! This one looked like it could be the best of Vertigo's new four.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Saucer Country #1

As a former resident of New Mexico, who has a great love for the state, I couldn't pass this book up after reading the solicitations. I'm really glad I got it. It captures the unique spirit of New Mexico. Governor Alvarado promises to be a complex and interesting character. It looks like the supporting cast is going to be solid. The mixture of politics and aliens is a perfect fit for the Vertigo brand.

Also checked it out. It was actually a bit different than what I thought it would be, though in a good way.

It's kind of an odd thing. I found the alien aspect of it kind of 'meh'; I even found the running for President aspect of it kind of 'meh'. But the part about a woman who may have been abused overcoming that trauma really seemed to work here. It was chilling and I felt very sympathetic and I cheered her on during the speech moment. I can see how Cornell can use the idea of alien abduction as a not so subtle allegory to the loss of empowerment someone abused (physically, sexually or even other ways) might feel. That was well done.

It wasn’t my favorite Vertigo launch, especially considering how well done Unwritten, Scalped and American Vampire are right now. But it was certainly unique and with a very strong lead character, and I can see how with those two things, the potential is pretty strong.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Fans of the Unwritten are probably like me right now and flipping over the awesomeness that is coming these next few months. We got a taste of it with the latest issue, as Tommy & company start getting real answers for the first time all series. The 3+ year build-up actually works to great effect here because I'm anxiously awaiting each little tidbit that Carey delivers, and so far he's not letting me down on the promise of more info.

Plus, seeing Tommy start coming into his own in his understanding of the magic is also nice to see.

quote:
Unwritten has now entered a phase where I think its reaching the heights of other past Vertigo greats, such as Sandman, Y: the Last Man, Fables and others. The most recent issues have been so fantastic that the series has gradually rose to the top of my reading pile each month.

Carey & Gross are weaving an incredibly complex series here. I think perhaps only Sandman the level of depth that Unwritten has, in terms of analyzing the idea of 'stories'.

quote:
^ At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll reiterate again how damn good Unwritten has gotten in the last few months. It's suddenly emerged as a comic I want at the very top of my pile every month.

Awright, Awright, Aw-effin'-RIGHT, already! I finally read that first Unwritten trade I've been sitting on for nearly two years last week......and I thought it was very good!

A good foundation was set up in the opening arc for the mystery and mythology swirling around Tom Taylor and his world. I can see enough in those issues alone to set up years worth of stories. Then, issue 5, which rounds out the trade, shows potential for even more stories beyond that with its focus on Rudyard Kipling and how his story ties into the larger mythology the book is bringing across.

Basically, it was an entertaining read in and of itself, but i can just see that the best is yet to come. That's a recipe for a great series and one that Vertigo has particularly excelled with over countless successful books it's put out over the decades. (It doesn't hurt either that the artist is Peter Gross, btw.)

So, yeah, I'll be picking up subsequent trades very soon and will likely continue to collect the series as such for the foreseeable future.

So...LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE ABOUT UNWRITTEN, ALREADY, COBIE!!! [Wink]

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Saucer Country #1

I enjoyed this (... but there's a but in there .... like Cobes ... )

I thought it was like a new tv show I would watch and follow BUT ... in this era ... comics really need to bring it because there is so much good coming out .. .

so i will definitely get number 2 ... I found it satisfying but not world shattering.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.