Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Vertigo Title Review (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Vertigo Title Review
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, it's Vertigo. blurb

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally I've always been a fan of the early Vertigo books, although I do enjoy Fables and Air. My favorites are Doom Patrol and Black Orchid.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Vertigo right now might be the best any comic company has been in a long time. And it only gets better.

I just picked up Air #7 because it was $1.00 and I've heard good things. Well...WOW. I mean...holy shit. That was freaking amazingly good! They just got me hook, line and sinker...a totally fascinating experience that I definitely did not see coming.

This is pure and utter science-fiction with loads of mystery. I hardly understand whats happening and thats the best part. It really reminded me of Lost. I will definitely be getting all six previous issues immediately.

I just spent the last half hour checking out other reviews of the series. Its like a who's who of creators singing its praises. Gaiman, Simone, Aaron, Azzerelo, and then the non-comic book people are even more numerous. People also relate the series to action packed like "24" with the mystery and sci-fi of Lost. But I think its something completely different thus far from anything I've seen before.

I highly reccomend gettin the $1.00 issue and telling me if you're intrigued as well.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
FInally-- DC's solicits for June '09 include the first trade for Madame Xanadu, Disenchanted. It collects the first 10 issues for $14. Definitely going to the top of my April preorders. [Yes]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
And I know it's technically not a Vertigo book, but I can't wait for Wildstorm to trade up Mysterius the Unfathomable... I saw the solicit for the final issue, #6. [Hmmm?]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

That looked cool because Jeff Parker is writing it and he does all of Marvel's best stuff these days. I hardly ever check out Wildstorm stuff, but every so often they have something that interests me.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I will definitely be getting all six previous issues immediately.

Those issues will be in the trade (well, issue 1-5) for $9.99, and I guess that actually came out last week.

Thanks for the review, I was thinking of checking out the first trade (for $10) but was rethinking due to budget constraints. but after hearing your review I'll either see if I can track down issue #7 (for a dollar) or I'll see if my LCS has the trade.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read the first House of Mystery trade. Overall, I liked it, but a lot seemed over my head. The stories told at the bar, for instance, not so sure how much was supposed to be straightforward and how much was supposed to be alleghorical. Like that story with the hollow girl and the flies--brr! Funny, most of those stories seemed less about mystery than I would have.

Without giving away too much, what's some of the story direction after issue 5? Does it focus largely on the same characters, or does the cast change? Does Fig continue to figure in, or is she free from the house? The ending at 5 seemed a little ambiguous. Any help you guys can give me to determine whether to pick up subsequent trades would be appreciated!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's an intelligent read to be sure Lardy. I tend to read the short story after reading the whole issue, just to prevent any distraction. Those little tales aren't always direct corallaries to the main story, but there is a fit. Knowing what you know about the cast, it's understandable that you're not sure if the stories told are tall tales or what - that's part of the charm.

The core group we met are still the main cast through the current issue. And yes, Fig is still involved.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
I got the House of Mystery trade also, but honestly I was a bit disappointed. The story with the House characters are interesting, but the short stories didn't seem to have a point.

I really think I would have preferred the short stories to be longer and the overall, large story to play out over a longer amount of time.

I just don't see the point of picking up the second trade for what amounts to three issues of story and a bunch of too short stories where some are good and some are simply "there."

Honestly, this trade left me feeling lukewarm, so maybe if I get flush with cash I'll pick up the second trade but the first trade didn't make me want to pick up the monthly.

Also, I finally got Air #7, it was an interesting read and I am curious, I'll keep my eyes open for the first trade that's for sure...

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Also regarding HoM, I was curious about how many in the bar are confined to the house and its grounds. Some of the characters seemed able to come and go at will like the lawyer guy, unless I'm mistaken. At points it seemed the five principle characters were the only ones confined. Very confusing!

And for a book with that title shouldn't the short stories be more...mysterious? They seemed more fantasy/horror to me unless they were supposed to enlighten us more on the mysteries of their tellers.

Like Steph, yeah, I was a little disappointed.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Air, Madame Xanadu and Unknown Soldier, all picked up a bunch of Eisner nominations this week. Go Vertigo!

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_eisners_main.shtml

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also recommend all three Rouge points out. I'm just getting on board for Air now (see my above post), Madame Xanadu is a very different type of comic than anything else, and Unknown Soldier is as good as comic books get these days.

I like the set-up for House of Mystery. The story within a story--even the weird ones that appear to have no thematic connection to the larger story--is part of the fun for me. I also knew going in it would be much more horror oriented than "mystery", so I'm quite pleased with that. House of Mystery throughout its history has almost never been a mystery series actually...so this fits in quite well with the historical title. I think above all, I'm just glad to be getting an anthology title with only the barest semblance of a recurring periodical storyline for this one. And so far I'd say just about every issue has been very high quality. Its very Sandman-esque in style and intelligence.

Haunted Tank - this was really good! Not the greatest thing on the market, but probably the best commentary on the war in Iraq besides Kyle Baker's "Armed Forces" in comic books thus far in the medium. And it's commentary on racism was really excellent, covering just about all the viewpoints and showing how hypocritical most people are in those anti-racist views--yet without ever hitting you over the head with it or being sanctimonious.

Young Liars - still one of the weirdest, craziest and damn best reads going today. Its really impossible to describe the series. Its just freaking crazy.

stephbarton

I got the House of Mystery Showcase vol.1 last week and finished reading it yesterday.

I have to say I enjoyed the HECK out of that showcase and really don't think the current version (or the first trade anyways) is nearly as good. I was amazed at how entertained I could be with just 8 to 12 pages worth of story.

There just seemed to be a lot more going on in those old stories than the ones that they put in the modern one.

Like I said, I enjoyed the ongoing set-up, but not enough to spend $3 to get that and short stories that amuse me only a little bit of the time. But I'll wait and hear what people have to say about the second trade, maybe they'll have found their legs by then (of course that will cost more then)

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I recently read the trade of the 2006 Hellblazer spin-off mini-series Lady Constantine, about a female ancestor of John. As penned by the reliably good Andy Diggle, there's plenty of swashbuckling action and plenty of monsters, including one of the earlier incarnations of Swamp Thing. I'm guessing that hardcore Vertigo fans probably consider this a bit lightweight and simplistic, but I found it an exhilirating romp. Recommended.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.