Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm always happy to help. [Smile]

Looks like growing up with my parents forbidding me from reading superhero comics (the few that were even available in Ecuador) has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. [LOL]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
did anyone get the Manhunter series with Kate Spencer ........ i'm curious, if it's any good.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I never read it but I know it has a rabid fan-base.

I was tempted to pick it up but after the writer killed off one of my favourite C-list villains (Monocle) in about the third issue I refused to support him with any of my money.

Still, it may be worth a look if I see it in a cheap back-issue bin one day.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
did anyone get the Manhunter series with Kate Spencer ........ i'm curious, if it's any good.

It was a pretty good series that had moments of brillance but then also issues where it seemed to really linger. So yes & no.

Prior to its cancellation, I was on the fence about continuing.

They also did some screwy-things with DC history/continuity that I didn't like and didn't make sense (therefore were distracting). On the other hand, they gave Obsidion an awesome role for the first time since the 80's.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm gonna add my voice to all those who have recommended Fables over the years. It really deserves all the praise it's gotten! I've recently read the first three volumes and found them outstanding. I put a lengthier review on the Fables thread proper, but I'd avoid that thread if you're a Fables newbie because, as the thread title states, it does contain spoilers that you might stumble onto. I even decided not to simply cut and paste my post there as it may be considered slightly spoilerish itself.

If you don't know the premise, all the characters from all the fables, fairy tales, nusery rhymes, etc. we grew up with are real. They've been banished by a mysterious entity known only as the Adversary to our world where they must be careful not to draw attention to themselves. All of them are immortal, or at least extremely long-lived, but far from invulnerable. They live as a secret society and have their own government and culture.

Through three volumes, the main characters are at the center or near the center of the the seat of power. Old King Cole is the Mayor of the Fables (as they call themselves), but it's Snow White who is the power behind him. Bigby Wolf (as in Big Bad Wolf) is the Sheriff and is able to take human form. Other core characters are Little Boy Blue, Jack (from "Jack & the Beanstalk" and possible other stories with a lead character named Jack), Bluebeard, Snow's sister Rose Red, the Frog Prince (called the Flycatcher or simply "Fly"), Prince Charming, Goldilocks and a slew of others.

This series is the perfect combination of whimsy and that mature "edginess" that Vertigo is known for. It's not dissimilar in tone to Gaiman's Sandman, I'd say.

Volume 1 "Legends in Exile" sets the table for this world around the mystery of Rose red's murder. It's a very clever story tool to let us meet all the players and has a neat, unexpected resolution to the mystery. I'd recommend you where your Holmes cap while reading it!

Volume 2 "Animal Farm" shows what the Fables who can't pass as human are living and what happens when they get fed up with having to play by the rules because of it.

Volume 3 "Storybook Love" contains a one-, two- and four-parter that kind of have love and romance as a theme. The four-parter really explores the core romance of the book while resolving a certain conflict that's been brewing in a satisfying manner.

So if anyone out there still hasn't tried Fables (assuming I wasn't the last, of course! [Smile] ), do yourself a favor and try it! All three trades are a great read, and IMO, each volume is better than the previous one! I wasn't absolutely batshit about Fables after the first trade, but I definitely AM after three!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been thinking about picking Fables up. My LCS never seems to have it on the shelf, but maybe I'll ask them to bring vol 1 in for me next time I'm in.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
From what I've gleaned of your tastes, Arachne, I've a feeling Fables just might be right up your alley!

If you're worried about investing money in the unknown, try your local library! Many LWers have experienced the joys of reading trades for FREE thru the wonder of these magical places! Right, Rocky? [Wink]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

P.S. Stealthie should try Fables, too, if she hasn't already! [Yes]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I read the first trade. It was good, but it didn't thrill me.

I also read the special, "1001 Nights" I think it was called. That one I liked a lot, probably because it had a more traditional approach than the ongoing.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Alas, my local libraries don't have much in the way of graphic novels. Although, surprisingly they do have some Three-boot Legion trades.

--------------------

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
I read the first trade. It was good, but it didn't thrill me.

*ahem*

quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
I wasn't absolutely batshit about Fables after the first trade, but I definitely AM after three!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Arachne:
Alas, my local libraries don't have much in the way of graphic novels. Although, surprisingly they do have some Three-boot Legion trades.

WTF?!?! [Confused]

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

I don't try to make sense of it. They seem to buy things at random sometimes. For instance, I just checked and they do have one Fables trade -- the one that collects issues #34 to #41.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Arachne:
For instance, I just checked and they do have one Fables trade -- the one that collects issues #34 to #41.

Don't start with that one! [No]

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

LOL Because it's bad or because it's confusing? (Not that I was planning on starting there anyway.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.