Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Mice Templar (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mice Templar
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I just read #3 and am stilling totally into this series. I definitely think Karic's 'mentor' has possible other-than-noble intentions.

Really just loving the mythology of the whole thing unfolding.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's a good read, and readers can really fall into the story. There's mroe to each of the mice and we want to know what it is.

And I'll wager Cobie's tab Karic's being played.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Let me know what ya think POV.

As soon as I get it, CJ-- which won't be until May 5th if I'm lucky, 12th if I'm not. It'll ship with my beginning of the month shipment... [sigh]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So I bought the Sketchbook a few weeks back and finally checked it out, and as I expected, it was totally worth the purchase. If for no other reason than to see Oeming's long love of his characters and how he was able to finally bring it to publication after several years. I'm glad for him--he seems like a cool guy and with Mice Templar and POWERS, he's got two really great hit independent series.

The interlude story, which bridges the first mini to the next was good and whetted my appetite for the second arc, which I think should be appearing soon. Its almost like Mice Templar and Umbrella Academy switch on and off, so I have at least one of them running.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The latest Mice Templar series, "Destiny" is on #5 and this one has been just as awesome as the other two, if not more so. The series continues to expand on the mythology of the Templar story and introduce all kinds of really cool characters (based on different animals, insects, etc.) and concepts. It's a really thrilling ride that is unlike anything else being done right now.

Artist Victor Santos comes on taking over for co-creator Michael Avon Oeming, who is basically everywhere in comics these days and therefore ultra-busy. The transition is completely smooth IMO and I hardly noticed. I think Santos is doing a bang-up job and its full of action, intrigue and grandeur. I wouldn't mind if he stayed on as the ongoing artist of all future minis.

The characters are just loaded with story:

- Leito and the imprisoned family of Karic's story, which could be boring under another writer, remains fascinating.

- The Maeven Archers have finally appeared and they are a welcome addition. I really like the idea of the badass Maeven Archer as Karic’s love interest.

- The love triangle between Cassius, Llochloraine and Ronan builds on the continued angst of the series. I think we can all tell that Ronan’s days will not be plenty, given that he and Karic are about to embark on a quest next issue on their own.

- The Mole Goblins in #2 was an awesome story, as was the “Bright Realm” (mice being awake during the daytime). Glass really does a great job taking regular things like daytime and under the dirt and makes them fit into fantasy settings, and then even gives an additional layer of symbolism for hell, heaven and anything else you might want to read into it.

I can’t recommend this series enough. Each issue has a three page essay by a friend of the writer (another writer) where he compares how Mice Templar’s stories reflect various mythologies and famous fantasy stories, like Norse Mythology, Celtic Mythology, the Lord of the Rings, etc. I love when Criminal has these types of essays and I love it here.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Pov, Ceej, anyone else--still reading? With #8 recently out and only one more issue to go for this mini, I have to say I'm more impressed by this franchise than ever before.

Every issue is just so epic and so excellently executed. I can't wait for #9 and the finale to see Karic get the be the hero the previous issues have made me desperately want to see.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, this is still one of my favourite reads. It's so dense a story, I tend to read the previous issue just before I read the latest one. For that reason, it's the last of my books any week I buy it.

Karic's growth is so organic and casual, not the usual rush to stardom you expect in a comic book. The scopr of the story- when they mention the passing of time, it feels like it in the story.

I'm as fascinated by the plight of his family. All of the regular cast characters are defined and fully realized; no one is standard fare.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm actually enjoying this volume more than the first since Oeming stepped back from the main art duties on the book. I'll let a few issues pile up and read them all at once-- that's not to say I don't enjoy each issue, it just works better for me that way. ("So why doesn't he just get the traaadess??" Don't wanna, nyah! [Razz] [Wink] )

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The final part of volume 2, #9, came out recently and I just read it tonight and WOW!. Now *that* was a damn good comic book!

To say I am completely impressed and blown away by the quality of this story is an understatement. It had the fantasy epic feel of Lord of the Rings, the grandeur of Kirby at his finest and is so unique that it stands completely on its own.

I finished reading the final page and all I could think was "damn, I don't want to wait a few months until the next miniseries!".

This is one of those comics that kind of slips under the radar a bit and I forget about it and when I finally get to reading the issue, I'm reminded that this is a contender for my favorite series in comics.

The recent mini, "Destiny", started very small and built and built in sense of how epic it was, so the final issue felt so large in scope. Brian Glass does a phenomenal job making you care about this world and these character and then blowing you away with the spectacle of what happens.

Victor Santos rocks the house with his artwork. The undead cat vs. snake with Karic on the cat's back sequences are some of the most dynamic pages out right now.

I liked how this issue packed so much into it so every page was filled with characters.

Click Here For A SpoilerAnd the when Karic finally decides to cut open the snakes belly--something that totally shocked me--I felt my heart jump for joy! I really felt some emotion in reading that.

Great, great series. I hope it keeps coming out forever!

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Looks like Mice Templar is getting some critical loving this year at SDCC. Here's to a good book!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Mice Templar kicks off it’s third miniseries and anyone who hasn’t checked it out yet should do themselves a big favor and do so NOW. Quite frankly, this issue was nothing short of excellent, as writer / co-plotter Brian Glass, penciler / co-plotter Michael Avon Oeming (series creator) and inker Victor Santos begin the third volume “A Midwinter Night’s Dream”. It’s noteworthy that this issue is entirely accessible to new fans as it quickly recaps what has gone before and dives right into the storyline.

The third volume has the story moving ever forward as the franchise has now achieved the sense of grandeur it hoped (based on the end of the last volume), and I can’t help but revel in the epic-ness of it all. The mythology of the series was before just an added bonus but now has taken on such a life of it’s own, that’s it’s equally as important and enjoyable as the characters & storyline. Like Lord of the Rings and other great fantasy epics, the mythology is just so rich that it adds layer upon layer to the series. And though so much of it draws from numerous sources, it maintains a sense of being completely original.

The writing of the series is absolutely excellent, between the impressive plot, Glass’s awesome dialogue and Oeming’s layouts. There is constantly tension & action, while also some very tender and strong character moments. Inker Victor Santos (who penciled the last arc) also does a terrific job making Oeming’s work look incredible.

This is a really fantastic series. If I had a star system, it would be 5 out of 5 stars—I highly recommend it.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

A few months later and Mice Templar is still one of the best things on the market! Better written, better drawn and with concepts and characters epic and grandiose, it just stands out as modern triumph in comics. This may be not only Image's best series, but the best in comics in general!

The latest mini is doing a great job taking the great supporting cast and expanding on them and giving them depth while Karic's legend grows. There are so many players with different viewpoints that you can't help but admire the complexity of it all. Each voice is fresh and distinct.

I'm loving the gradual build of tension both among the various potential allies of Karic and also his enemies. Each issue it takes it one step further, just when you think it can't go anymore without exploding. Yet, it feels natural and I dont want to rush it--well done.

This is probably the best fantasy series in comics I've ever read. Really terrific stuff. I know Pov and Ceej are reading: why aren't you?

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Volume 3 came to a close and it was utterly fantastic all the way through. The focus was on all the rest of the immense supporting cast which was a welcome interlude.

This continues to be one of my favorite series and I'm in love with the epic-ness and grandeur of it all. Brian Glass and Victor Santos have entered my list of 'buy whatever they do next regardless of content and characters'.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.