Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Solar, Magnus & Turok - now at Dark Horse! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Solar, Magnus & Turok - now at Dark Horse!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So, I made sure to call my CBS well in advance to have the Free Comic Book Day offering from Dark Horse pulled for me. This was the Doctor Solar / Magnus Robot Fighter offering, now that Jim Shooter has figured out a way to continue working with these creations with Dark Horse. (I think I might actually follow this post up with a brief history on these characters for those who don’t know).

I love Solar, Magnus and Turok, and will likely collect all three (dropping only if they aren’t good). I first was exposed to them all as I suspect many of us were, through Valiant in the 1990’s (with Shooter at the helm). I later learned of their great history through my Dad and then actually being able to read the Solar & Magnus issues; I’ve only ever read a few Turok stories. Solar & Magnus are just two really great science-fiction concepts in comic books, and two of the last great ones of the Silver Age.

All three also are incredibly cool in that they make up three different eras: the distant past, the present and the future.

The comic was a split book, a good marketing tool for a free offering. I’ll review one at a time.

First up was Solar, written by Jim Shooter with art by Dennis Calero, who I liked a lot on the threeboot Legion. I’ll admit, on the inverse, that I absolutely hated Shooter’s threeboot Legion. I thought it was the worst Legion era I’ve ever read, including Conway’s, and I rank it up there with Liefield’s Bloodstryke and 1990’s Marvel Secret Defenders. But I do know Shooter has talent, as anyone with some familiarity in comics know. And his very best work is his 1990’s work at Valiant with these very same characters.

Getting back so Solar, I thought it was an okay introductory story. Not much there to really grab me, but I feel like it was limited by only being half an issue long. Surprisingly, it was Calero’s artwork that I felt was a bit limited in quality. It had my personal pet peeve, hardly any background work, which made it feel rushed and a little phoned in. But I’m willing to give Calero a second chance because I know he’s talented. Meanwhile Shooter’s script was not as good as I would have liked, being a bit too existential in places and then the polar opposite—almost a bit pedestrian—in other places. I think he needs to find his pacing with a happy medium.

Meanwhile, the Magnus, Robot Fighter story was the second story and this one, I thought was actually quite impressive. Here, Shooter showed me the side of his writing that showcases all his best qualities: the ability to tell an incredible, tight, well paced story, and his ability to write great characters. It felt parts action, part sci-fi and parts drama, bringing in all the right elements. I’m more of a Solar fan than a Magnus fan, but here I was totally feeling Magnus.

The artwork on Magnus was by Bill Reinhold, whom I actually don’t recognize at all. I thought it was actually quite excellent! It was a bit classic, a bit cartoony and yet incredible dynamic. (On a side note, I’m really glad that style is becoming more popular again). The artwork was also incredibly detailed and did a great job showcasing fight scenes and action. Reinhold also drew an incredibly beautiful Leeja.

So where does that leave my opinions? On the one hand, I’m not as impressed with Solar as I hoped but I’m willing to give Shooter & Calero a chance to get their acts together. On the other hand, I’m actually much more impressed by Magnus than I thought I’d be and will certainly be picking this up. I’m hoping Shooter on Turok is more along the lines of his work on Magnus here as well, and I’ll be getting that too.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I read the issue as well. Solar was okay, nothing spevtacular, and I've never been a huge fan of Magnus, who did have a good outing here. Not really thrilled with either one to pick up the regular series...but will check out Turok though. Love the whole concept, and hope they don't do the modern day thing with him.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

And now, a brief history on these characters:

In the 1950’s, the powerhouse company was not DC Comics, not Archie Comics and not EC Comics. It was Dell Comics, which outsold all the rest and was the most major player in an era when comic books were a medium that dominated pop-culture. That was because Dell Comics had a specific deal with Western Publishing; even though Western was a publisher, here they acted as the printer and securer of licenses, and let Dell do the publishing. Western, you see, had the licenses for the biggest hits of the day: Disney, Looney Tunes, Dick Tracy, the Lone Ranger and all the other great licensed characters of the 1950’s (it wasn’t always like that but by the end of the 40’s it was). Dell’s most popular character was Uncle Scrooge, who sold over 2,000,000 comics every single issue. They had many other big sellers.

Among those Western licenses was Turok, Son of Stone, which was a successful and popular feature of the 1950’s. It is a 1950’s franchise in the classic sense, an adventure series combining western, sci-fi (dinosaurs!) and adventure genres, complete with a macho lead and kid sidekick. It also had some of the greatest covers of all time.

Enter the Silver Age and then the 1960’s, DC’s securing of its place as the top publisher and the rise of Marvel. Where was Dell? Well, what happened was Western Publishing decided they were going to set out on their own, and use their licenses without Dell. Ultimately it would mean the end of Dell and actually would never really work out for Western as well as it had in the 50’s. Still, they did have some success and so started their publishing imprint, Gold Key Comics. It was here at Gold Key that in addition to the Disney and other licensed characters, they had some great original idea successes.

Among these were Otto Binder’s “Mighty Samson”, after he left DC, which was a groovy post-apocalyptic type comic (unfortunately I’ve never read it), and some other series. But the two most famous were Solar, Man of the Atom, and Magnus, Robot Fighter. Both were two of the last great sci-fi comic books to come out of the Silver Age, as by this point comic books were superhero focused and moving away from the sci-fi beginnings of Silver Age superheroes and more towards the concerns of the time, social relevance and horror. The concepts are solid and the looks are a classic, original type that fit in the mold of the best sci-fi sequential art. Magnus taking place in the far future also puts him in that special class of sci-fi that many on this board love.

Of course, things for Gold Key did not work out all too well although from what I understand their comics kind of limped along throughout the 70’s and even early 80’s before going defunct. Western Publishing maintained the licenses for Solar, Magnus and Turok, and it was only in the early 1990’s when Jim Shooter left Marvel as EiC that they came back to the forefront of comic books.

In fact, it was Shooter being able to work out a deal with Western to get the licenses for those three—Solar, Magnus and Turok—that helped him secure the backers needed to create Valiant. Shooter then went on to remind everyone there was a reason he was writing comics at age 14 for DC Comics and why Marvel succeeded under his guidance better than it had since Stan, by producing a plethora of quality stories. Not only did those three characters succeed, but other series such as X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong (my personal favorite), Shadowman and many others were also excellent. I’ve seen many ‘best of the 90’s lists’ that are absolutely dominated by Shooter-era Valiant comics.

Once again, it wouldn’t last, as most things in comics history don't and Shooter left Valiant; without him the company faltered and soon went bust. Solar did have one great yet brief run by Dan Jurgens at the end of Valiant’s run as a publisher. The Valiant characters (including the Western licensed three) went to Acclaim and then I think even one more company. But they kind of lost their way after Valiant. This is also why Solar, Magnus and Turok are not owned by the same people who own the other Valiant franchises, as they have been purchased a few times over but Western has always maintained ownership.

And so now here we are, with Shooter once more turning towards Western’s Solar, Magnus and Turok to give himself another chance in comics and therefore give those characters another chance.

I for one, hope Solar, Magnus, Turok—and yes, Jim Shooter—all have another run at greatness.

[ May 21, 2010, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Having picked up the first issue of Doctor Solar: Man of the Atom, I think it was a solid effort and I'm glad to see where this was going.

On the one hand, I think this is a much better showing by writer Jim Shooter than his recent Legion run, but on the other I think it could have used just a little bit more polish, which I hope happens as Shooter hits his stride. On example is Shooter was a little exposition heavy with his explanations that I would have liked; at the least, Dennis Calero could have made the talking head panels more exciting. Still, I thought overall, the set-up was interesting and there is a lot of potential.

Speaking of Dennis Calero, I think he did a solid job. He has a very dynamic style that I liked on the Legion. There are some things you could improve on--namely, his backgrounds are almost vacant of anything and that is a pet-peeve of mine--but you get the sense he's still giving it his all.

Overall, it was a good buy and I'm excited to see where Solar is going. Shooter & Calero are doing the right things and hopefully will continue to get better as they hit their stride.

The first issue also contains a reprint of the Gold Key Solar #1 in 1962. And you know what? It was pretty groovy! I've never read the Silver Age Gold Key issues before and this was a treat. It was a strait-up sci-fi tale that would fit right in at Strange Adventures or Mystery in Space. Writer Paul S. Newman and artist Bob Fujitani really cranked out a good sci-fi story and I can see why Solar caught on back then and kept fans 30 years later that were thrilled when Valiant brought him back.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I have now also picked up the first issue of Magnus: Robot Fighter, and my feelings are very similar to the Free Comic Book Day issue: while Solar was only "okay", I thought Magnus was actually really terrific! Which, as I've said before, is the opposite as to how I've always felt about the two (loving Solar but kind of feeling 'meh' about Magnus). I give Magnus: Robot Fighter a solid recommendation.

Shooter seems more at home here in terms of his story-telling skills, as he's able to introduce Magnus, Leeja, the premise of the series and other elements, while still telling a very strong story in the first issue. There is action, drama, intrigue and a solid start & finish to the issue, all the while introducing Magnus's world.

Bill Reinhold on the artwork, does a really excellent job, and just nails the science-fiction feel this series needs, while at the same time using the Cooke / Martin / Sale cartoony style while still feeling fresh & modern. I like his artwork quite a lot, and it drew me right into the series.

What made this stand out so much more from Solar was that it felt like things were moving all issue. I can't tell if Shooter just did a better job here, or if Reinhold did a better job pacing the story than Calero.

The first issue also came complete with the first Magnus story from Gold Key in 1963. You know, it was pretty excellent! It definitely read like one of the great sci-fi stories of the Silver Age, and could easily have fit right into Strange Adventures at DC. Manning's artwork was really beautiful to look at, and it made me realize I'm quite unfamiliar with his work and want to see more.

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, I had no idea that these were coming back around. I remember reading some Magnus and Turok comics as a kid, and finding them pretty cool. (I never did read any Solar, 'though.)
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought Magnus #1 today.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Having read Magnus #2 tonight, I've got to put in a strong recommendation to anyone looking for a different sci-fi comic book with a strong lead and some great art. I thought #2 did a great job expanding the story, adding in some complicating factors, and also providing a solid entertaining story by itself.

I'll be getting to Turok shortly, and I'm still on the fence with Solar, but I have to say that I think Magnus is the best Jim Shooter comic to come in quite a long time. Shooter really is flexing his writing muscles and crafting a solid story. As I said above, Magnus was never one of my favorites like Solar, but Shooter is quickly making him one. And Leeja is one of the spunkiest, most likable love interests this side of Lois Lane.

The art by Bill Reinhold is so good it almost over-shadows Shooter's writing. I'm really enjoying how there is a retro feel to it but yet a very modern, new feel as well. He draws great action, beautiful women (and men), kick-ass robots and aliens and just one cool ass future.

Pick this up!

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Damn, I forgot to get Magnus #2 when it came out.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^Looking forward to your thoughts on the latest Magnus, SK, and any thoughts on Turok #1 if you picked that up!

Turok: Son of Stone #1 was a buy I didn't have to think twice about; I'm enjoying Shooter's relaunch of the Gold Key titles quite a bit, particularly Magnus, and Turok has always been IMO one of the best comic book characters in the history of the medium. I love his rich history and how different he is from other properties, especially because he was specifically born in the comic book medium instead of being adapted to it (like, say, John Carter of Mars or Conan). I also loved the Valiant series in the 90's.

As I've said, Magnus been awesome while Solar #1 left me a bit high and dry (but I have #2 and will get to it eventually), so I was wondering where Turok would come in. I was delighted to quickly realize it was as good as Magnus has been and was a comic book I would be buying for the long haul. Everything seemed to click: writing, artwork, pacing, usage of the awesome premise, lush attention to detail and just an all around sense of adventure and fun. Turok is a totally unique type of comic book in the market place right now and I totally recommend it.

Some of the cool things we see: Aztek warriors looking for human sacrifice; ancient cave leading to a different world; dinosaurs; tomahawks; and just so much more.

Shooter really showcased his writing skills here, perhaps moreso than any other story he's done in years. Turok was intelligent, brave, but also had some depth: he wasn't stoic or other stereotypes, but admitted when he was afraid and was compassionate for Andar, who was obviously frightened. But beyond the characterization, the pacing of the issue was terrific--he led the readers on an adventure that left us wanting to see more and more where it was going.

Eduardo Francisco does the artwork and it's beautiful to behold. He really has a knack for warriors battling one another, for bow & arrow scenes, dinosaurs and other exciting things. One thing that wasn't exactly my cup of tea but some of Legion World may like (and I know you too well) was the amount of natives in thongs.

Like other #1's from this launch, the original Turok #1 from 1954 was included as a free back-up. WOW. Talk about a fantastic story!! It was so damn good, I'm considering getting the original run in TPB (I think Dark Horse or someone is doing that). It was 1950's adventure comics at their finest. Rex Mason, the original artist, was masterful in the presentation and I'm suddenly very curious about his career. The original story included probably twice as much action packed into it, with a giant bear, a scary scene in a piranha infested river and a brontosaurus coming to the rescue when another dinosaur has them cornered. Really awesome stuff!

I give Turok #1 a high recommendation!

[ October 31, 2010, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - I also love the steps Shooter has taken to make the entire series historically authentic (besides the obvious dinosaur-related stuff [Big Grin] )
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
One thing that wasn't exactly my cup of tea but some of Legion World may like (and I know you too well) was the amount of natives in thongs.

Aw, you know you like men in thongs! [Wink]

quote:
The original story included probably twice as much action packed into it, with a giant beer...
Great SPACE! A giant BEER?!? [Elastic Lad]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

[LOL] Guess you know what's on my mind tonight as I enjoy the Walking Dead premiere!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
On AMC, bitches! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Picked up Turok #1 for $1 at the con.

Great book with everything I remembered about Turok from the old Gold Key days.

I want to reread it and the backup original comic as well before posting more, but I will be looking for the second issue.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.