Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Solar, Magnus & Turok - now at Dark Horse! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Solar, Magnus & Turok - now at Dark Horse!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
Picked up Turok #1 for $1 at the con.

Great book with everything I remembered about Turok from the old Gold Key days.

I want to reread it and the backup original comic as well before posting more, but I will be looking for the second issue.

Can't wait to read more of your thoughts, Dev! And $1.00--nice score at the Con!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, throughout this thread I've been a bit hard on Doctor Solar based on #1 so I owe it to the series to say I thought #2 was a major improvement.

This was for a number of reasons, paramount among them being I felt there was a lot more going on, with both action and subplots, and also the further establishment of the status quo of this series. I'm glad to see the pace picked up.

I'm also very pleased to see Roger Robinson come in on the art chores, as he does a fantastic job here. I remember him from Azrael and very recently Secret Six and he has a very exciting style that feels edgy but with solid, classic layouts.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, the hits just keep on coming, and they seem to be getting better and better as Jim Shooter and Dark Horse are picking up steam. Mighty Samson #1 debuted and I thought it was excellent! Another first issue success!

First off, Mighty Samson is the property I’m least familiar with, as it was never revived in the 1990’s by Valiant and only exists in its original form in 1964-66 by Gold Key, and Otto Binder and Frank Thorne. When I learned of the premise a few years ago (because I was really into Binder’s stuff after reading his Legion stories) I absolutely wanted to check it out; I was delighted it would be included as part of this relaunch.

And those expectations were more than exceeded! The first issue was an awesome introductory issue that succeeded on all levels, setting up the premise and characters, while providing action, intrigue and an awesome premise. I’m loving that each of these Gold Key / Dark Horse titles take place in a different time. For this one, it is in a post-Apocalyptic future (500 years in the future?) where mankind has survived but civilization has basically reverted to what it was in ancient times, albeit with the structures from our era still present. What separates Mighty Samson from so many similar stories is the heavy science-fiction influence (including radioactive, giant lizards and such). Shooter takes it one step further with this relaunch, focusing on the military & political influences that have arisen, making it very similar to the Ancients in real history.

With the premise, Byzantine politics and fascinating characters, the series is set-up with good potential. Jim Shooter jumps right into things as writer—having warmed himself up over a few months with Magnus, Solar and Turok—and really knocks it out of the park from all angles. The characterization is excellent, the pacing of the story is exciting and the multiple subplots are great. No scenes are wasted so each panel conveys some important yet the creators don’t dwell on things and are ready to move forward.

Pat Oliffe of Untold Tales of Spider-Man fame provides the artwork and man, is it good! I’ve always liked Oliffe and feel his more recent work is his best yet: Peter Parker (the online series) and 52 were fantastic. Here, he tops even those, showcasing his skills are well beyond superheroes and street-crime, as he draws lush backgrounds, monsters, warrior armies, and all kinds of fascinating things. He can make characters look sexy on one panel, then evil in the next. He also is able to convey personalities of cowardice, sniveling sneaks, and other things really well.

I’m pretty impressed and highly recommend this like I do Magnus & Turok (and Solar is getting there). Excellent first issue. Anyone looking for other genres, well this is it!

#1 also contains the very first Mighty Samson issue by Otto Binder and Frank Thorne—which is utterly fantastic! It’s got to be one of the coolest comic books of the 60’s! I really enjoyed it, with the far-out sci-fi of 1964, the direct yet clever way Binder writes and the incredibly beautiful Frank Thorne art. I think I liked it better than Magnus & Solar #1, though Turok #1 ties (I’m talking about the originals from the 50’s and 60’s).

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Solar #4 was a good wrap-up to the first arc, tying everything together the various facets of the previous three issues in a solid way, and giving the series a sense of having lots of potential on where to go from here. This was highlighted by some terrific artwork by Roger Robinson, who can go from a panel of creepy suburbia to strait-up superhero goodness to diety-like beings of immense scale and then back again. I’m really glad he’s the artist on this series as he provides a little extra oomph to the story.

I’ve said from the beginning that Solar was the weakest of the four Gold Key titles and that is still somewhat true, though I wouldn’t call it ‘weak’ by any means, just not was overwhelmingly great. Shooter’s writing here is good, but he’s not knocking it out of the park like on Magnus, Turok and Samson. For example, the story was wrapped-up a bit too tidily in the end, where I felt like perhaps a page or two was missing and panels were squeezed together.

Also, one other complaint on the writing is the villain was so mean-spirited that it was almost over the top—particularly the implied repeated rape scenes that wasn’t really needed. There have been many complaints leveled against Shooter in the past, labeling him a misogynist and honestly, this doesn’t help his case. It was kind of brutal when maybe it didn’t need to be, but I’m sure Shooter would argue it did need to be.

Now that the initial arc is over I’m hopeful for some more focus on the supporting cast and subplots to get this series into high gear. The groundwork seems to be there so I’m hopeful it will happen.

I know a few others picked up some of these and I hope to see their comments soon!

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
There is some kind of time lag between Dark Horse and my local comic book shop, but I've finally managed to get and read the first three issues of Shooter's Magnus, Robot Fighter. This is a fine series. It draws a lot from the old with some interesting new twists. The story keeps a good pace and the art is solid. While reading the issues, I found myself thinking about Rick's recent post in Anywhere about the lack of science fiction books with strong male leads at his local bookstore. Magnus is definitely an old school science fiction male lead. Asimov inspired, raised by a robot to best evil robots in hand-to-hand combat with plenty of scantily clad ladies in supporting roles. Well worth picking up.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

You know Jerry, you have good taste! [Big Grin]

Glad you're enjoying Magnus! I agree wholeheartedly--this is exactly the kind of "macho sci-fi" Rick was saying is missing in pop culture these days, complete with excellent writing & art and a fantastic mythology.

Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
I just got Solar #5.

This issue is really good and is the equal of any of the early Valiant issues. (It still does have wonky science, but all comics have wonky science.) Much improved over the previous issues.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Ken - glad you're also collecting & enjoying Solar! Definitely want to hear your thoughts as the series continues.

Also, hope to see you in the Dr. Gym’lls section reviewing the other comics you’re collecting!

Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
That's hard. I'm currently buying two things: Legion and the Gold Key/Shooter relaunches (as well as Alter Ego magazine). I'm not that much into comics nowadays.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The latest issues of Magnus (#3) and Mighty Samson (#2) were fantastic. There is really such a traditional 'epic' feel to these titles (Turok as well)!

Magnus is pure science fiction at its best, while Mighty Samson is post-Apocalyptic science fantasy at its best.

In addition to Shooter's solid stories, the artists really are knocking it out of the park. Oliffe on Mighty Samson is channeling early Giffen really well (I suspect Giff's influence from 52 art director has paid off).

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I heard from Bill Reinhold that the Gold Key line has been cancelled.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^That sucks! These have actually been quite good and its a shame not many people have been buying them (especially Magnus and Mighty Samson). Any annoucement officially made yet?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

With the Gold Key revival at Dark Horse now dead & gone, the final issues of the various series are coming out. Magnus and Mighty Samson, two of the best of them, had very rushed endings as Shooter tried to tie everything up, and I’m not even sure if Turok will get another issue.

The weakest of the bunch, and the one published the most, Solar, ends with #8. It’s unfortunate that this title got so much of the attention of this revival because it was certainly the weakest, which is exemplified by the last story arc. Shooter either purposely made sure no one in this series was at all likable or did a very poor job of trying to get the reader to empathize with anyone. Regardless, I found myself not caring about anyone all that much, including Solar. Compounded on that is Shooter’s tendency to litter the comic with pseudo-science, but not in a good way. He explains something in theory and just has Solar just do it, rather than show how it would happen from Point A to Point B. It jus feels like cheating to me and its distracting.

At the end of the day, I wish Magnus, Turok and Mighty Samson could continue because they filled a niche that no other series was doing, and they were done well. But Solar was basically a lot of the same old, same old, with all of Shooter’s most annoying qualities present. Wish this project had ended on a higher note.

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, Magnus #4 was a bit rushed. It's still worth picking up. This was a quality effort by all involved. Too bad it fizzled. Magnus is a great character. I hope he gets picked up by someone soon.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.