Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Morning Glories: the next big IMAGE title? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Morning Glories: the next big IMAGE title?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Morning Glories #5 wrapped up the opening story-arc and in my opinion really nailed the ending that was needed for this first story. It really looked like the glories weren’t going to be successful at all, and the twist at the end and how they pulled it off was a masterful bait & switch tactic that proves once again Nick Spencer is a young writer that is already incredibly impressive and will only continue to do so. The entire story-telling structure of the issue at first threw me off, but that is obviously on purpose. The way everything tied together was brilliant. In the meantime, we get a whole bunch more mystery with various crazy things happening at the school, making the readers even more curious as to what the hell is actually going on here?

Casey, the lead character (blonde female) is emerging as an awesome character that I’m beginning to love. Her skills & attitude are great, and the end where she gives the traitor his just deserts—loved it. It might seem as a bit of an exaggeration, but Casey could end up being one of the premiere female leads in comics—she’s almost on Saturn Girl level with this issue. If this series is the success I’m hoping it will be, she could mirror Rick in Walking Dead.

The other glories all got a chance to shine as well, even the ones we didn’t think would play a big part in the issue.

The art by Joe Eisma is also a wonder to behold. I love that the characters are sexy but it’s never taken too far; that is a very purposely, well-walked line. He also conveys emotion on the faces of the characters incredibly well.

The issue also introduces (more firmly) another teacher who will be a nemesis for the glories, Mr. Gribbs, and does a great job showing what a threat he’ll be. I can’t wait for them to take him for a ride.

I don’t usually do a rating system (I leave that to the donut master), but if I did, this would be a 5 out of 5 stars.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I read # 5.

My thoughts re: Casey mirror yours-- I now officially LOVE HER.

But there is a problem.

Yet MORE mysteries are introduced this issue.

It's time to start solving these mysteries or a least start giving hints to answers:

WHAT is the school THERE for?

WHAT are they trying to DO to these kids?

WHAT are those deadly apparitions floating about?

WHAT is the signifigance of the kids all having the same <spoiler omitted>?

WHAT kind of person would <spoiler omitted> a star student they professed to love in front of Casey just to make a point?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the ride and Casey alone is worth the price of admission, but I know myself as a reader and a fan, and I am worried my joy will start to lessen with MORNING GLORIES if we don't start getting at least HINTS to answers to some of the above questions (and of course there are many more questions as well that need answers).

Until then, kick 'em where it hurts, Casey!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Review: Morning Glories #5

Boyoboyoboy, was this a great issue! Honestly, Mornig Glories is like no other book on the stands, and it just keeps getting better!

Last issue, we were left with a cliffhanger and a betrayal within our cast as the students' plan to rescue one of their number seems doomed from the start. Not so fast, my friend--as Chris Berman says, "that's why they play the games!"

As Lash and Cobie say above, Casey is the absolute star of this book so far and seeing how far ahead she had planned for the obstacles they would face was very impressive. I loved how we were shown how her plan came together and how it involved every one of our cast, even anticipating a traitor. My hope is that as the series continues, we'll be loving all the other characters just as much, even if some are more "love to hate" scenarios.

Lash is absolutely correct that there are lots of mysteries swirling about, but at this point that aspect is a major draw for me and not a hindrance at all to my enjoying it. Maybe I'm groomed for this sort of thing as a fan of the TV series Lost, but I like that we aren't being spoon-fed everything. What matters to me is I'm absolutely certain that writer Nick Spencer isn't making all this up as he goes along. I'm just as certain that we will learn what we need to know when we need to know it and that it will be a hell of a ride!

The art by Joe Eisma is deceptively simple, almost minimalist. But he tells the story very effectively and makes MG an attractive overall product. And the covers by Rodin Esquejo, IMO, have been some of the most striking and attractive ones I've seen from my pull list this year!

Honestly, I'm trying to make this review as spoiler-free as possible, so that if anyone is curious enough to give MG a try, they'll experience all the shocks, surprises, twists and turns just like the rest of us have who've already been on board. It's a crazy-good book that I anticipate will only get better as the mystery unfolds. Hell, I'd call MG Lardy's pick for Best New Book of 2010! (Chew was my pick for 2009--Go Image!)

Lardy's Rating for Morning Glories #5: 5 Donuts (out of FIVE)!!!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Lardsie, I skimmed your review so as not to spoil # 6 which I will be reading soon...

FIVE donuts?? Very high praise! I will add (BEFORE reading # 6, mind you) that I very MUCH AGREE with FOUR of those donuts! [Big Grin]

Looking forward to # 6 for sure!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Well crapballs. Just noticed this review was for # 5... [LOL] >goes back to read full review, glares at anyone who thinks he's crazy<

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

#7 provides some insight into the character of Zoe, and wow, what a curve ball! I was delighted, intrigued and then shocked at the information we were given on Zoe throughout the issue.

Again, writer Nick Spencer is making it clear this isn't a predictable series. Each issue has a twist and turn that only makes the story more interesting and original.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I read 6, 7 and 8 in one sitting... 6 was a little meh for me but 7 and 8? MUCHO asses kicked.

I **LOVE** that we got major backstory on Zoe and... oh crap, the cute redheaded boy. Name failing me.

I think their stories may have blown my mind!!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

# 10:

I'm enjoying these spotlight issues very much.

But I still have absolutely no idea what the heck is going on in the big picture. For some reason, that doesn't bother me so much. I hope it never does.

Casey rules. Looking forward to next issue's spotlight on Kid Jerkface.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also don't mind at all not having the big questions answered. The mystery upon mystery sensbility of the series might just be the best part of it, and that's saying something since there is so much more that's great.

I have a feeling "Kid Jerkface" will have a cool twist that will get us to sympathize for him.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Issue 10 spotlighting Jade was pretty trippy! It's hard to tell what was real and what was a dream, if any of it wasn't a dream. Whatever the case, I think there was some truth in every scene. Spencer said in an article that this might be the issue that tries readers' patience. Well, I thought it was awesome and am still completely onboard!

"Kid Jerkface", eh? [Big Grin] That's totes his name, now! [LOL]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

With #12 kicking off a new story-arc, Morning Glories continues to blow me away each and every month. Simply put, this is one of the very best comic books out there and everyone deserves to treat themselves to it.

Forget the various television shows that have tried to mimic the show Lost over the years. Morning Glories is the clear heir apparent to Lost in terms of style, mystery, character and quality. Writer Nick Spencer has weaved an incredible series with so many mysteries and secrets that I’m just dying to get answers to! And as he gives us a bit of revelation, he provides several other mysteries to follow. Rather than be frustrated by it, I simply just soak it all in and am eating out of the palm of his hand. The delivery in storytelling is just so tight.

Spencer’s other major trait as a writer that sets him above his peers is his sharp characterization. He can full develop a character so you know exactly who they are—and yet have major missing aspects of their past be huge gaping mysteries. It’s incredibly well done!

Artist Joe Eisma’s crisp, attractive style is a pleasure on the eyes. He makes the characters sexy without ever crossing over into cheesecake. And in the blink of an eye, his artwork switches to creepy and mysterious, and then to even creepier.

This latest issue introduces a faculty member (brings her to the forefront really), Ms. Hodge, and she looks to turn the entire series on its head. Some assumptions the Glories, and by extension we the readers, have made are not quite right. I can’t wait to the next issue to see where this goes!

If you’re not buying this—start! It’s far better than just about everything else out there.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yeah, I like Ms. Hodge. Her intro answers some questions and then causes many more questions to arise!

And all the spotlight issues were really good too.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I read MG #11 today, the one that spotlighted our "beloved" Kid Jerkface!

Well, I can't say that we got too much added depth to Ike here. It was interesting, though, to see what things he's done and such. Some of his antics were actually pretty funny! I'm not sure, but it almost seemed like he may have felt some kind of kinship with the other Glories that he came in with. They all hate him, but I'm not entirely sure the feeling's mutual.

Not sure what the deal was with Ike's "dad" and Abraham, but I'm interested. And the scene with Miss Daramount just oozed creepiness, didn't it?

Anyhow, not the strongest issue, but I've enjoyed all the spotlights as a whole.

--------------------

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Upon noticing the snazzy art of this book and remembering it had a thread with positive reviews from the rest of you, I decided to give Morning Glories a shot and ended up reading the entire run thus far in one sitting.

My first impression upon finishing #12 was that I was glad I read the book so far in one sitting rather than having to wait weeks in-between issues. I call that the "Starman" effect for me, another book I adored but had I read on a monthly basis would have probably fallen away at some point. As someone that never got into Lost and other programs, at first the excessive amount of mysteries and cliffhangers left me unsatisfied. When I get to the point that I feel constantly horrible for the lead characters, I'm more prone to drift away unless something lifts them (and me) up.

However, that's a credit to Nick Spencer - because as soon as I felt I may need to stop if nothing got resolved, we finally got a few answers or acknowledgments. Not only that, but a few things started going the characters' ways such as Casey getting her admirer and Kid Jerkface getting kicked to the social curb. Things that let the characters and you the reader breathe a sigh of relief or normalcy under the constant fright of "what's going to happen next? Is anyone safe?"

The second arc with its student spotlights reeled me in and helped my placation. There's something I enjoy about each character, even their dirty sides, and there's something whimsical even about our devious faculty that doesn't make me 100% hate them despite their misdeeds - they hover more in the 80% range. [Big Grin]

I'm especially glad for the latest issue with Ms. Hodge. Sure, it brings up a few more questions, but at least we got some answers about the school's location and it's encouraging to see a faculty member that'll actually be on the student's side. As a reader, especially when I get invested, it's hard not to throw my imagination and myself into the story with the characters. I was beginning to feel anxious and a little hopeless like I was trapped there too and Hodge's introduction was the hope my imaginary self needed to want to finally wait patiently for an issue. For me, her presence was a better "cliffhanger" to my reading spree than someone else dying or having a mysterious future/clone/twin counterpart.

In conclusion, I enjoyed my run of Morning Glories so far. The art is beautiful and I love the pacing most of the time despite some of the jumping around for mystery or tension. I'm definitely on board for the next issue and hopefully that will keep me hooked however it can.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
MG #12 was a pure pleasure to read. As Future and the others point out, Ms. Hodge is a most welcome addition to the story. The way she interacts and intersects with our core cast of students and the other faculty and staff really seems to turn some things that we think we knew on their heads. Even by the end, I'm not so sure that Hodge is as heroic as she seems or if she just has her own brand of self-interested manipulation as her agenda. Much as I like her, I can't help but lean toward the latter.

Nice look in the opening at what the nature and location of the MG academy might be. I, for one, love the teases and mysteries and trust Spencer to deliver however he sees fit. I just wish Spencer's other books were this good!

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.