Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Incredibly cool comic concepts that should be far more successful... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Incredibly cool comic concepts that should be far more successful...
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
As far as Teams go I always thought the Global Guardians could have been huge if given the right creative team!

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
It's interesting--we've just been talking about how the really high quality of Dynamite's Green Hornet: Year One and Zorro has been helped by Dynamite focusing on the facets of what made the characters so great in the first place (and they do the same with Jon Carter of Mars and the Lone Ranger). Meanwhile, DC has spent decades being embarrassed by or ignoring the histories of Captain Marvel, Plastic Man and numerous other properties and forcing those characters to change to fit the 'modern DCU' (both in continuity and tone in all of the last 3 decades).

I'd love if another comic book company got control of those franchises (even permanently) and had a shot to do them right.

And there you see the problem with trying to fit everything into one single "shared" universe...
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     

[ January 27, 2012, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Lone Wolf Legionnaire ]

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
As far as Teams go I always thought the Global Guardians could have been huge if given the right creative team!

Oh heck yeah.

Tuatara, able to glimpse into the future and the past, could be a Ravager level hand to hand fighter (or Threeboot Dreamy), *and* view into the past of a crime scene to be a ridiculously good detective.

Bushmaster is 'Batman with a different animal theme.'

Olympian is ridiculously powerful and versatile, since a dozen of the Argonauts had 'super-powers,' and the other couple dozen were legendary warriors and kings.

Jack O'Lantern is pretty much an even more supernatural / mystical version of Alan Scott.

Dr. Mist *oozes* potential, since he's actually created super-people in the past, empowered by his mystic gems.

It's kind of a crime that Icemaiden (as Ice) and Green Fire (as Fire) are the only members of this group to break out of the 'foreign heroes' ghetto.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been thinking about Air Wave recently, and came up with the idea that it might be cool if he were actually the Hal Jordan of Earth-2.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually really like it. Would he still be a district attorney (with same Hal attitude?). Maybe assistant DA, and Carol is his boss?
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Air Wave was cool (the one who turned to energy and flew around, before Monica Rambeau made it cool. The roller skating on electrical wires? Not so much!). Was Crisis on Infinite Earths the last time anyone saw him?
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I think he showed up in one of the later Crisis series as well.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Infinite Crisis, and he showed up in Blackest Night...not in a good way though.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've always felt Crystal (of the Inhumans and, briefly but memorably, the Avengers) would make a great solo star, especially if Marvel could get a creator like Phil Jimenez behind the project.

She's a princess AND she commands all four elements in an ass-kicking way (when she's written right, which she hasn't been since 1994.) Potential wide-ranging crossover demographics there, Marvel.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I actually really like it. Would he still be a district attorney (with same Hal attitude?). Maybe assistant DA, and Carol is his boss?

Love this idea!

The original Air Wave was basically a master of the advanced technology of radio! He had all sort of gadgets that let him do fancy stuff with radio waves, like project his voice into any metal object and stuff.

I'm thinking the reimagined Air Wave would combine elements of the two characters, with an array of powers linked to wireless communications, but not reliant on gadgets. I'm thinking he could access the internet in his head, for instance.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady: I've always felt Crystal (of the Inhumans and, briefly but memorably, the Avengers) would make a great solo star, especially if Marvel could get a creator like Phil Jimenez behind the project.
Agreed. Crystal's got a great powerset, and doesn't annoy me nearly as much as Harmonia Li. [Smile]

I like that she's got a strong power, and yet, unlike the Scarlet Witch or Sersi or Jean Grey, it's a pretty well-defined powerset, and is less likely to get written as out of control or a deus ex machina (that ends up having to be written completely out of the comic, because the writers are having trouble using her).

Similarly, a Gorgon/Karnak 'buddy comedy' sort of mini-series could be awesome (they've got a bickery vibe very reminiscent of the antics of Power Man & Iron Fist or Hercules & Amadeus Cho).

IMO, far, far too much of Inhuman appearances seem to revolve around the Black Bolt & Medusa show, guest-starring 'those other people.'

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Agreed. Crystal's got a great powerset, and doesn't annoy me nearly as much as Harmonia Li. [Smile]

Ha. [LOL] Based on this and other comments here at Legion World, I'm so glad I dropped the Levitz Mark III version of LSH before Harmonia took center stage.

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I like that she's got a strong power, and yet, unlike the Scarlet Witch or Sersi or Jean Grey, it's a pretty well-defined powerset, and is less likely to get written as out of control or a deus ex machina (that ends up having to be written completely out of the comic, because the writers are having trouble using her).

Exactly. For example, Crystal would be at least fairly vulnerable in synthetic environments. Could provide milage for the nature vs. technology debate.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I agree about Dr. Mid-Nite. I sometimes wonder if fans and editors being so focused on the JSA as a franchise is a hinderance in getting solo adventures of many of the members off the ground again.

Dr. Mid-Nite and Wildcat (with heavy boxing element as in the 40's) are two examples of that. They are certainly unique.

Another one I think should be highly successful, even today, is Tomahawk. There is no other comic book franchise like it--it's Davey Crockett taken to the next level. The mythos of Dan Hunter, Miss Liberty, King Gorilla (that's not the right name, I'm forgetting it) also just makes it so much more than a period piece.

I really wished they'd followed up on the over-the-top but brilliant Wagner Dr. Mid-Night mini. Johns certainly picked up the character in JSA, but he completely changed the characterisation. I really dug the aloof, hard-nosed, aristocratic Wagner version of Pieter Cross to the more vanilla nice guy that Johns gave us.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Me too. [Yes]

That was a fantastic story by Wagner. The Doc that followed in JSA was pretty good but never reached the potential Wagner set up with the mini.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.