Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Swamp Thing (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Swamp Thing
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm all kinds of excited by the third issue. Yes, Abby has a different personality and attitude. She explains the changes to Alec in a way that makes sense for me. I can easily accept this as character growth. The introductions of the Rot and William build on the past while setting a new direction for the series. The Arcane evil is here and as grossly tangible as ever. It has a young and innocent new face. It's a solid formula with lots of potential for future stories.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Love this new version of Abby... didn't think I'd be enjoying this series as much as I am, but Scott Snyder is keeping things really fresh and compelling...

4 fins up!

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Still enjoying reading about THE GREEN... I'm onboard for # 3!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Issue 2, like Animal Man, 2 rocked the HELL outta the place--better than issue one! I was surprised to see a prior Swamp Thing from, what, WWI? I assumed all along it was the Swampy we all knew from Alan Moore before and beyond. (What ever happened to him?!?! Maybe issue three explains with Abby in tow?) Anyhow, I like the explanation for why the Green is after Alec to take on the role and how the Swampy we all knew and loved was anomalous.

Most def a Lardy/DCnU Top Pick!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Lardy,

John Totleben developed eye issues and is sadly, effectively retired.

I'm friends with Steve Bissette on Facebook and he's teaching and doing some of his own projects (mostly non-comics). I actually just hung up a piece I purchased from him: Steve's original inking over a copy of Jack Kirby Etrigan pencils. It's extremely cool.

Sometime around '83 or so, I went with my family to a summer cabin in VT, around the same place that Bissette was living. We stayed for a couple of weeks in late summer.

I was/am a HUGE fan of that Swamp Thing run, to the point that I actually went so far as to look him up in the White Pages.

But was too chicken in the end to make the pilgrimage over and introduce myself. [No]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, Cleo, that reminds me of the time I saw Jim Starlin at a table on a convention floor and was too awestruck to even TALK to the man, never mind ask for a sketch! [sigh]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Swamp Thing #4 I have a feeling I'd like this book more if Animal Man weren't covering a lot of the same ground, only better. Holland once again has an issue long discussion about his destiny, while the Rot's influence grows. I really hope there's a good twist to this and the Moore ST comes back or someone other than Holland gets the nod, because issue-upon-issue of build up isn't working for me.

What I did like was the inference by the Parliament that the Earth should be their's and if the Rot is defeated, the partnership with the Red is probably out. This sets up an interesting conflict down the road that intrigues me (and underscores how it was so easy to for Woodrue to turn the Green before).

I liked the panel of Abby and Alec waking up, and I like creepy little William, but I'm more than ready for Swamp Thing to return now please.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Creepy little William is indeed shaping up into great villain. I'm fine with the pacing and in no rush for Alec to transform. His struggles with his destiny, the Parliament, and Abby are well written and interesting. I would be disappointed to see somebody besides Alec take up the Swamp Thing mantle, and can't imagine that is the direction they are going. It looks like we're in store for some all out action next month.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Swamp Thing #6 finally picks up the pace a little bit and we get a clear sense of threat/horror as a lot begins to click. I'll be genuinely happy if this was all a swerve and Alec dies giving rise to the Moore Swamp Thing. Although I still state my opinion that 6 issues is far too long to go without bringing in the title character.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Swamp Thing #7 is getting near universal praise out there, and it's a decent book, I'm just not completely sold on it. The art is gorgeous but I don't know what it is about Snyder that doesn't click with me. I'm dropping Batman, and if I didn't love Swampy so much and was curious to see how this ties into Animal Man, I'd be on the fence about this as well. It's just been too long and convoluted to get to this point. Some of what he's done has been very good, but it just doesn't grab me like the best Swamp thing stuff has. I'm sure I've just set my expectations too high.
Jerry
active

I totally agree, Dave, that the bar for Swamp Thing is set high by past versions of the character. The New 52 version may not meet that bar, but it is a darn good comic. I don't mind the easy pace that was taken to get to issue #7's transformation. We're now in new territory with a Swamp Thing that is more independent, hopefully more in control of his own destiny, and has a compelling motivation. There's also a fresh threat. This was all accomplished without any disrespect for the historical foundations of the character. It took Synder some time to get here, but it's a good place to be. Paquette's work is rich in horrifying detail. I'm in for the long haul.

[ March 08, 2012, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just sat down and read the entire 7 issues. Rereading the first few again to get the wwhole effect.

This is a great series, and it does read better taken in bigger chunks.

Personally I like the separation form the past that they are doing. Taking what has gone before and stripping layers away to take him in a new direction.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#7's art was simply beautiful. The title character's new form is a little hard to process, so far. The Parliament of Trees is such a cool concept.

Even if you have no interest in reading this title, you should take a minute at your comics store and look through this issue. The layout and use of borders and color is really worth checking out.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Swamp Thing #8 takes the prize for book of the week. Okay, I only bought four books this week. They were all really good, though.
I've come to expect wonderful work from Paquette. Marco Rudy matched his detail, and their styles blended beautifully -- or more accurately horrifically. Oh my God, Abby!?! This book is going places Swamp Thing has never been before.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read Swamp Thing #1-7....in about 20 minutes. That's about one dollar per minute, for a story that essentially undoes everything Alan Moore did to convert a second-rate horror title into a true classic. Does DC really hate Moore that much?

And turning Abby, a truly unique character in many ways, into a gun-toting action hero on a motorcyle? Unforgivable.

Dropped. In fact, I'm going to pretend I never read it.

[ April 26, 2012, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: the Hermit ]

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.