Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Morrison writing for Image: "Happy" (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Morrison writing for Image: "Happy"
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Morrison is doing a new book called "Happy!" with Image. He says he's still on Action and Batman Inc for the foreseeable future, and still has Seaguy Vol. 3 (!) at Vertigo, but this is a major shift as he's been with DC almost exclusively for some time.

http://ifanboy.com/articles/exclusive-image-expo-happy-from-grant-morrison-darick-robertson-at-image-comics/

[ October 13, 2012, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Fantastic news! Great to see Morrison delving into some creator owned work again!

Also, yet another major Image bombshell! Image is truly experiencing it's own Silver Age right now.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Morrison: "Everybody knows we need new, contemporary characters and stories that are relevant to the world we live in; I’m delighted that 2012 is shaping up to be a banner year for fresh and original comics."

Hope springs eternal... the story didn't tell us much about the premise of Happy, but Morrison is always worth checking out. It must be difficult for creative guys to have big ideas for the traditional characters, but be bound by the restrictions of these established names. Image certainly is putting out some interesting books now.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

A very interesting first issue. I like how he starts out writing Ennis-esque ultra-scummy indy tropes and then flips it on its head with the appearance of the talking cartoon horse. Most of the payoff is obviously coming up in next issues, so it's really hard to judge this one on it's own, but it looks to be going in some strange and hopefully fun places.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Cant wait to grab this!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up Issue #1 of Happy!. So, we all know that Morrison can be twisted at times. He's never been this twisted. Are you interested now?

The language is very harsh. I can't even begin to count the number of F Bombs dropped -- multiple times on just about every page. The "C" word is also used pretty liberally. If you're offended by profanity, this ain't the book for you. It's kind of an organized crime drama that involves a little blue flying unicorn/pegasus type talking horse with a bit of an attitude. It's kind of gory in places Does that help?

Oh, just buy it already.

[ September 29, 2012, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

The cover says Issue One of Four.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I flipped through it at the store and contemplated buying it but the bit with the blue fairy unicorn ... I thought I had seen before. Not a big fan of Morrison myself.

I've never forgiven him for having Professor X shoot someone in the head.

<--- buzzkill.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

All head shooting in Happy! appears to be in character, if that helps.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:

I've never forgiven him for having Professor X shoot someone in the head.

Except in grand X-Men tradition, it wasn't really Prof. X (unless he does it again later in the run, I only got as far as "Riot at Xavier's"). [Wink]
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I was talking about the Cassandra Nova "icing"

... years after he strangled her in the womb.

I gigged a bit while writing that. heh heh

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
All head shooting in Happy! appears to be in character, if that helps.

Thanks! This is key.

Although, I am a sucker for some Morrison Quitely. I will most likely be picking up the Multiversity. I don't mind violent if its sensible ... just don't mess with my X-Men.

I think he also killed Jean Grey and brought her back to life twice during his X

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

He did give us Quentin Quire ... who under Aaron's authorship I J'adore!

and ... Morrison can dialogue Emma Frost like nobody's business.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:

Yeah, not to be too spoilery, but not all was as it seemed in that scene. There are revelations later on that turn things around with the shooting.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Overuse of profanity gets on my nerves. NO ONE goes around saying eff and See you next Tuesday in every other sentence. I find it distracting and unclassy, so I guess this will be a PASS for me.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
quote:

Yeah, not to be too spoilery, but not all was as it seemed in that scene. There are revelations later on that turn things around with the shooting.
I find that really funny haha, since it turned me off of him and the x-men for some time!!! I didn't hang around to see how it turned out.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.