Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The ALL-FF Fraction/Allred fandango (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The ALL-FF Fraction/Allred fandango
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Will be getting this and F4 issue 1 next week.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I got it!!!

I can't help but wonder/hope that this book is going to be about those wacky kids ... like Wolverine and the X-Men is about those X-brats!

I found a flaw in Mike Allred's art though ...

... his characters even cry cute!

the breakdowns of this book are a lot more constructed and constrained than Allred's usual flowing pages ... wonder what's that about. Ironically, it seemed like he really enjoyed drawing it ... I'm talking about those fantastic Franklin Richard's faces. (Maguire-esque!)

I give it a:

[Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El]

I wanted a little more action. Just a little. A page or two of She Hulk mopping the floor with Thundra or something.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I feel guilty about my low rating. See ... THIS is why people do halfs!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
You hated it!! *sobs hysterically*

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
The very definition of FAB-YOO-LOSA:

-

Faboogasm!!!
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
FYI, the last 'FF' series was all about those whacky kids and was really good! Def recommended!

I grabbed this today and can't wait to read it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Oh it just charmed my pantaloons off!!!

And when did Alex Power grow into such a cutie? And uhh, how old is he now?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
DIDYA GET IT???

Discuss its grooviness in detail!

I didn't make it to the comic shop yesterday. I'll get it Saturday. Review to come for sure.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it was fun when it needed to be and moving (Scott Lang) when that was required. The only thing that fell flat for me was the Wakanda Girl/Uhari duo page. The rest of the snippets did a great job of introducing the cast.

Crystal must be the most duty bound/observing character in the Marvel Universe. She's ordered to marry a man the FF fought while she was around the team, then ordered to leave him when they begin to bond?

Any other character would have a big ol' hissy snit fit and no one would be a bit surprised. I think she needs to commandeer Lockjaw and leave Attilan in the dust for a good long time. Let her wipe the floor with her royal cousins, if necessary, on the way out.

Johnny's scene was a nice comedic one; I guess his 'doofus on Earth/badass in the Negative Zone split personality continues. The jury's out for me regarding Miss Thing, though. Can she believably be a part of this world for more than the opening arc?

Loved Allred's art, mostly. It's good to see him back in Marvel comic books.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
REVIEW

To me, there is one word that sums up this book: charming.

The charm of Mike Allred's unmistakable artistic style, the charm of an first issue that's all meaty character bits, and the charm of Fraction's believeable, naturalistic dialogue, which in turn lends a charm to the kids which was completely lacking for me in the Hickman issues.

I have been a fan of Scott Lang since I first got into the Marvel Universe, and I'm deliriously happy that he's back to life and that he's finally being written in a way that explores his full potential.

I have also been a fan of She-Hulk for a long time, and I'm happy to see her as just Jen, not wacky-fourth-wall-breaking Jen (no offense to readers who liked that, it just wasn't my thing.)

Miss Thing has potential, that's all I can say for now.

Having Medusa instead of Crystal does bother me a bit. Mystery Lad summed it up well:

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Crystal must be the most duty bound/observing character in the Marvel Universe. She's ordered to marry a man the FF fought while she was around the team, then ordered to leave him when they begin to bond?

Any other character would have a big ol' hissy snit fit and no one would be a bit surprised. I think she needs to commandeer Lockjaw and leave Attilan in the dust for a good long time. Let her wipe the floor with her royal cousins, if necessary, on the way out.

However, I am confident that Fraction and Allred will give us a fully-rounded Medusa which acknowledges some of her more dubious recent behvaior.

After all, this is a character-driven book.

MY RATING: [Sensor Girl] [Sensor Girl] [Sensor Girl] [Sensor Girl] [Sensor Girl]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Holy 5 Sensor Girls!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yay! So nice to see the favorable reactions both here and on Facebook. Marvel is definitely winning me back as a reader with Marvel NOW.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Now can we PLEASE go 1-2 years before the next death-laden, status-quo altering mega-crossover [Smile]

--------------------

razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I am picking this up this week...I heart Allred, and Medusa and Shulkie are two of my favourite underestimated characters so I am much excitement about the whole thing! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I got it...I thought it was a decent character piece, if not really anything amazing outside of that. While the "replacements for 4 minutes" thing is cute, it's a bit too on the nose for me as a plot device. If Reed literally had every confidence they'd be back in 4 minutes, I don't get why of all the crazy trips the FF have taken, THIS is the one where he decides they need replacements...

Also, something weird about Allred's art, but I can't put my finger on it...like maybe he's trying to hard to ape a traditional superhero style and not let his own unique style shine through? Dunno.

All in all, I didn't *dislike* it, but the Fantastic Four #1 was a better first issue I thought, and was a lot better at blending light characterisation with an underlying dark moodiness.

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.