Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » BOY MEETS BOY!!!!! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BOY MEETS BOY!!!!!
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Just been looking at the site and... well, this is going to sound really prejudiced in a way, but ye gods those guys are *so* American.

And that's not a good thing. What I mean is they all have that bland, shiny faced, fake teeth (so different from good teeth. Perfect teeth aren't spotless white or perfectly straight. America really has to get over the fake teeth thing. And this coming from a dentist's son with perfect teeth. That's what she says anyway. [Wink] ), perma-tanned blah quality that every 'ideal' man seems to have these days. Not to say that we're immune to the same thing here in the UK but just a bit of varitey would be nice. Only one non-white guy and even he had the same basic bland look to him. Not unnatractive, just... well, blah.

Think about it, would people like Ewan McGregor or Jude Law or even Orlando Bloom have ever become sex symbols if they started out in the US? I actually doubt it a lot simply because they don't fit that 'jock' look that pervades so much of American culture these days. And it's so bloody *dull*. Yeesh.

Sorry, rant over. Oh, other than to say the guy picking... bleurgh. I hate that ultra-square jawed look and he's even more squeaky clean looking than the ones he's picking from. Of course all this is going entirely of appearances and they might be lovely. But I bet they all have perfect (and therefore fake looking) gym toned six packs that are waxed to within an inch of their lives. Ick. I hate the facism of body culture almost as much as I hate capped teeth.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i just checked the website, and i suppose BEVIS is correct in one way ... they all look kinda the same !!

what do you guys think of the host Dani Behr ??

she's been presenting TV for a number of years in the UK, wonder why the US network picked her as the presenter ??

why not a US host ??

is the show set in a particular city ??

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, the show is set in Hawaii, but I'm not sure where. And as for the host, read somewhere that she appears on the US entertainment news show "Extra."

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
I believe its in California, but I don't know what city. I was wondering who Dani Behr was, but I like her. Its funny that you guys think they all look alike because I was thinking we had a somewhat different cross-section of guys -excluding racial diversity. Most of them do fit a mold but there's a few that really stick out.

I don't mean to be ignorant, but I didn't really undertand the whole issue about teeth. Do Ewan, Orlando or Jude not have nice teeth and/or smile? Do you think these guys became popular in America because they were famous in Britain first?

I'm not discounting your views, I just can't relate to them. I am the first to admit that Americans, on a whole, tend to go for style over substance -otherwise, there wouldn't even be a show called "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy". There's a few of us that do prefer substance. Pretty boys are fun to look at but looks can't hold my attention for long.
James is VERY PRETTY to look at, but it seems that he has the personality and heart to back up his chiseled good looks -so should he be punished for being so pretty?

I mean no disrespect whatsoever, I am just trying to understand your perspectives better.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb

okay -Hawaii it is. [Smile]

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caleb:
okay -Hawaii it is. [Smile]

Well, okay, I don't know that for certain, but I was assuming that's where they were because of the male hula dancers they had at one point of the show [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb

Its a good point. I was only thinking it was California because the main guy lives in California.

Which brings up a question for me. The contestants are from all over. Do they plan on a long distance relationship with an option to relocate or what.

--------------------

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bevis:
Just been looking at the site and... well, this is going to sound really prejudiced in a way, but ye gods those guys are *so* American.

And that's not a good thing. What I mean is they all have that bland, shiny faced, fake teeth (so different from good teeth. Perfect teeth aren't spotless white or perfectly straight. America really has to get over the fake teeth thing. And this coming from a dentist's son with perfect teeth. That's what she says anyway. [Wink] ), perma-tanned blah quality that every 'ideal' man seems to have these days. Not to say that we're immune to the same thing here in the UK but just a bit of varitey would be nice. Only one non-white guy and even he had the same basic bland look to him. Not unnatractive, just... well, blah.

Think about it, would people like Ewan McGregor or Jude Law or even Orlando Bloom have ever become sex symbols if they started out in the US? I actually doubt it a lot simply because they don't fit that 'jock' look that pervades so much of American culture these days. And it's so bloody *dull*. Yeesh.

Sorry, rant over. Oh, other than to say the guy picking... bleurgh. I hate that ultra-square jawed look and he's even more squeaky clean looking than the ones he's picking from. Of course all this is going entirely of appearances and they might be lovely. But I bet they all have perfect (and therefore fake looking) gym toned six packs that are waxed to within an inch of their lives. Ick. I hate the facism of body culture almost as much as I hate capped teeth.

i've gotta say, i probably like everything that you hate about these type of guys !!!

they are the type of guys i find attractive !!! well maybe not all of them, i DO like someone to look a little DIFFERENT also !!!

but .... there are a few reasons why i like the brown hair, blue eyed, tanned and muscled, jock type of guy !!!

probably being a teenager during the 80's when the AMERICAN fitness boom happened, everyone was perfect looking the male models looked like Greek Gods !!! all the men on TV looked great, everyone had muscles and a tan !!!

part of me fancied them !!! but i also wanted to look like them !!!

does that make sense ???

even now most of the celebs that i fancy fit into that category !!!

DAVID CHARVET

JAMES MARSDEN

BILLY WARLOCK

MICHAEL BERGIN

JOSH HARNETT

to name a few, all have a particlar look !!!

i do fancy them [Big Grin] !!!

but ..... i would like to look like them also !!!

anyone else feel that way ???

or do you like an OPPOSITE ???

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
Interesting show, but I still think it was crappy not to let James know before the show started that some of the guys are straight. I mean, he seemed really sincere in hoping that he might meet "Mr Right."

I know one thing: Dan (the actor) really put me off. He is just a little too sure of himself for my taste. I like confidence, but he just feels a little too cocky to me. I was really hoping he would get voted off tonight, if only for the reason that he's cocky and claims to have a boyfriend back home, but they have an open relationship. I hate men that want their cake and eat it too.

I didn't like Dan either. Franklin seems nice so far.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
ANd I have a feeling that the Leading Man and his friend are gonna disagree over Dan...

She's gonna want him gone.
He's got some sentimental attachment...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb

quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
[QUOTE]anyone else feel that way ???
or do you like an OPPOSITE ???
Matthew.

We all have things that attract us to a person. Its completely normal to want to try to emulate those traits in order to be considered attractive by others.

Call me shallow, but if I saw a guy that I was attracted to and he smiled and he had Austin Powers teeth, then yeah -it would be a turn off. Just as, if I was really liking a guy and we were hitting it off and he was great -then he lit a cigarette -its over. No more reason to even consider being anything more than casual friends. I wouldn't expect him to stop smoking for me, but I am in no way interested in dating a smoker.

Everyone should be able to be attracted to who they're attracted to without having to justify it. I like quirky guys. I like to LOOK at the perfect guys, like James, but when I look for someone to date then my preference is more towards normal everyday guys and I avoid the perfect guys.

Then there are guys who have looks, and brains, and personalities and... flirtability. We have several of those on this forum. [Razz]

--------------------

rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the attachment he has to Dan is coming from the groin area, not the sentimental area! If he's so concerned about someone just coming out of the closet b/c they're not ready to settle down, etc., why isn't he worried about Dan's (alleged) boyfriend?

Anyway, I agree with a lot of what Bevis says. I have my own personal crusade to promote chest hair, y'know (my tastes are stuck in the 70's, even though I hadn't even turned 11 years old by the end of them), which is NOT considered favorable by much of the gay community. I do think all the guys on the show are sorta that certain *type.* On the other hand, I hear what Matthew's sayin' as well. I think it's just a matter of taste, but certain tastes are more favored by the (U.S.?) media.

James' friend Andra is useless! She got drunk and started liking ALL of the guys, and gave him ZERO help when it came time to decide who to boot!

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb

Rokk -I'm with ya on the natural look. Most especially regarding chest. Judging from Lash's "wet pic", I think he's with us as well. [Razz]

--------------------

Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caleb:
I don't mean to be ignorant, but I didn't really undertand the whole issue about teeth. Do Ewan, Orlando or Jude not have nice teeth and/or smile? Do you think these guys became popular in America because they were famous in Britain first?

Don't worry Caleb, no offence taken. Just to clarify what I mean about teeth...

OK, so like I say my mum is a dentist and as such I have a bit of an obsession about teeth. I hate really bad teeth, as in teeth that clearly haven't been looked after. If your teeth are all rotten or you have a mouth full of fillings then chances are the rest of your personal hygeine is going to be a bit lacking. *However* I also hate fake teeth, and that's something that seems to be pervading America and has started to happen here in the UK as well. See here orthodontics are a very small part of all the dentistry work done in the country. If people have slightly crooked teeth that are fully functional as teeth then nine times out of ten they're left like that. In the US most dentistry work that is done is actually not needed (this comes from stuff my Mum has read btw. Not sure of the exact figure but it was something like 60% in the US compared to 25% in the UK. Which is still pretty high, but there we go...) and is just to make someone's teeth 'perfect'. Only perfect teeth don't exist. o-one really has exactly square, straight, bright white teeth. And if they do then it looks hideously fake. To me it's the same thing as really obvious fake boobs. They look awful, they're not attractive and you have to wonder exactly why tht person feels the need to modify themselves to fit the image that they think society wants. I guess it's all part of the body facism thing again. I'm not really sure why i feel so strongly about it really. I do have pretty much perfect teeth (about the only part of me that is). They're pretty straight, I don't have any fillings or anything and my mum has taken quite a few pictures of them in the past as an example of prefect healthy teeth (not something you want to have done to you. They sort of hold your cheeks back with a couple of spatulas and then take pictures of your teeth. Sooooo uncomfortable) so maybe that's why i'm obsessed with them. Chris has fillings and had to have a tooth removed when he was younger because they weren't fitting in his mouth properly (he had to have his botom wisdom teeth taken out for the same reason) but that doesn't bother me because... well, most people *do* have at least a couple of fillings. It's really bad, uncared for teeth or fabulously perfect and *fake* teeth that bug me.

As for the American image of male beauty compared to the Uk one... well this is kind of a personal thing as well but I tend to find that most big American stars (especially soap stars and such) just look exactly the same. Chisseled jaw, chisseled body, deep tan, black hair and blue eyes and dull as dishwater. They have this look that is what the mass media thinks the general public think of as perfect but they're too polished, they're too clean cut and as such are so bloody boring. And I bet you the majority of people don't actually find 'real' men like that attractive. Or at least not the type that they'd really go for. In the Uk we tend to have a little more variety. Actually I was thinking about this last night and I think here possibly we go for slightly more feminine looks. I wouldn't say James is pretty at all, he's too square and blah for my tastes, whereas Jude Law and Ewan McGregor certainly are pretty boys, both are really quite feminine in their looks. They're not classic Hollywood hunks, which is what I mean by they probably wouldn't be as nig stars if they were in the US. Does that make sense? Essentially I think what I'm trying to say is that while we do have a certain degree of body facism and stuff here in the Uk we're more open to variety. In the US (and I think this is a result of the mass media rather than the general publics tastes) images of beauty (both male and female) tend to look the same far more than they do here.

A lot of this is personal taste of course. I personally can't stand the over-primped square-jawed jock look because i think it's hugely bland. Maybe if it wasn't so all pervasive in our culture I wouldn't feel so but you never know. I do like men that look manly but I like... well, I don't like people to fit the ideals of perfection. Same with women. I like curvy women, I like women not obsessed with their size or their hair or their make-up. I like women who look like they're happy with themselves (umm.... that doesn't sound right but it's sort of what I mean. Does it make sense to anyone else?). I don't like the skinny, big boobed, solid hair, pancake make-up look that we so often see on screen and in adverts these days. Similar thing with men. As soon as they become too perfect, as soon as their muscles become sculpted because they've oh so carefully been working on certain areas with specifics exercises rather than getting muscles from actually using them and working and stuff then I get bored and don't really care any more. That kind of body is great to draw, just because it has some really interesting shapes and stuff, but I don't find it *sexy*. My tastes have changed over the years actually. When I was younger I did find the 'perfect' man sexy but since I've been dating (and that's going on twelve years now) I've grown to find other things sexy. I still like dark men (always have, never really gone for blonds. Might be the opposites attract thing) and tall men (which being short myself is sometimes awkward. Chris is nearly half a foot taller than me so can rest his chin on my head when we're standing next to each other. heh) but I've developed a taste for slightly chunkier men, the rugby type so still with muscles but with a bit of bulk behind those muscles showing that they're actually used for something other than posing. And I have to agree with Rokk. I used to *hate* chest hair but over the last six or seven years I've grown to love it. Still can't stand hairy backs or shoulders though. *shudder* [Wink]

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bevis:
[Still can't stand hairy backs or shoulders though. *shudder* [Wink]

Well, ya hafta draw the line somewhere!

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.