Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Live Music Rocks! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Live Music Rocks!
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
So, I just got back from another show (Mercury Lounge for you New Yorkers) and it fuckin' *rocked my bunghole!* Granted, my friend was the lead singer, but she fuckin' kicks ass and it was a lot of fun, no matter how many times I see them!

What kinda stuff do y'all do on a night out of rockin' and rolling? Dance clubs, live music, jazz, what gets your soap in a lather??

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
As much live music there is here (and there's LOTS) I seldom see any... most of my friends AREN'T into it like I am and I hate to go alone...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
We don't get to see any live shows unless we pay for a real concert. That's one of the reasons I missed Evanescence before they hit it big. Utah has the most fucked up laws when it comes to alcohol and clubs. You cannot walk into ANY club that serves alcohol without being a member of said establishment. You can purchase a membership for anywhere between $5 to $25 and that does not cover anything, no drinks or any band cover charges.

You also have to buy your alcohol from the STATE run liquor store (unless it is the less than 2% beer we have here). And their hours are usually from 2:00 pm until 6:00 pm, Tuesday through Saturday. Closed Sunday for obvious and Monday because that is Family Home Evening for the Mo's and no one is supposed to be out drinking on that day.

I have to ask myself everyone morning why in the Hell do I live in this godforsaken state.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

That's too bad Lash -- most of my friends aren't into the loud raucous music as much as I am either, but I've gone by myself plenty of times and had fun (and it's not like you have to *leave* alone). I ended up meeting others who are into that scene just by hanging around enough and enjoying the shows just for what it was. The rest eventually happened and I'm glad it did.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I keep hopin' I'll meet someone who appreciates it as much as I do Drakey... I think it'll happen... someday. this'll need to be just ONE of his qualifications, though! :-)

last show I went to was LUCINDA WILLIAMS at the New Daisy theatre... took my best friend for his birthday-- she RAWKED!!!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I'll be out again tomorrow night (Irving Plaza for you New Yorkers) -- boogie-oogie-oogie, baby!!
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
If I didn't go to shows alone I wouldn't go to shows. Most people I know don't share my taste in music.

The last event I went to was a three day prog-rock festival in New Jersey called Nearfest. Awesome.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
There's a lot of live music here, especially in the summer for the tourists and summer residents. Drawback is that a lot is rather formulaic Celtic/Maritime music. Lots of fiddles. We get a few regional-grade rock bands, few big names but that's okay, and a smattering of classical. There is also a lot of bluegrass and gospel, for some reason - quite a few local groups have sprung up.

The Lunenburg Folk Festival is in a couple weeks - not just folk but usually some good blues also. It's a big deal around here.

Some of the best concerts I've been to have been in the winter, though, in local firehalls, with small audiences - there really is some great talent, even if you don't go for the style of music, the performances are truly well done. And nothing beats a relaxed, informal concert when the band just starts goofing around with the audience. You don't get that in a big hall.

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't get out too much anymore with the little one and all, but I used to like to go see bands when I could. I think I saw more shows at a place in Atlanta called the Masquerade, which gets the sort of lower tier national alt-rockers. On the local side, I used to love going to a place in Decatur, GA called Eddie's Attic which was sort of the Atlanta HQ for acoustic/folk artists. Shawn Mullins, who had a hit with the somewhat annoying "Rockabye" a few years back was a regular there. That's about the only person who I can say I saw regularly before they broke nationally, although he wasn't really my favorite or anything.

I don't miss much about my single days, but I do miss going to shows more regularly. Of course to be honest there's not much in music these days that I'd pay to see. I'm at that dreadful time where everything on the radio seems like it's not as good as it used to be etc.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
I've always loved live music but increasingly I get dragged into clubs with banal repetious dance bleeps per minute music.... the last good bands I saw were a Led Zep cover band, Fools Gold - an excellent Stone Roses cover band and out of the blue I managed to see Judie Tzuke (of "Stay with me 'til Dawn" fame) and she was superb - wotta voice!!!

I have a few friends who are professional musicians so I always see them when they're in town, which is always a hoot!

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I just got back from another rock-filled, alcohol-fueled night and GODDAMM it was fuckin cool! The place was *packed* and I managed to score a nice mezzanine perch overlooking the stage cuz I knew one of the bands and got into their reserved area. I chatted with a hot chick I spotted at another show a month ago, but she left before I got to really talk to her. Hopefully I'll see her again since we have friends in common.

And now I'm talkin to you all with the MP3 of one of the bands I heard tonight blaring from my computer....

[ July 31, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

Estimate Lad
Substitute Poster

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Estimate Lad   Email Estimate Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Live music is just the best although Bristol seems to have turned from being the home of Trip Hop to cover band hell to being a bit of desert musically at the moment. That said I'm seeing Massive Attack mid-August. Apart from the Trowbridge Folk Festival this will be only my third gig this year after Robyn Hitchcock and the Flaming Lips. This is well under my average of about 1 gig a month.
From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Massive Attack? Oh, I'm jealous now. I wish they'd come over to the Staes. The new CD's great.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estimate Lad
Substitute Poster

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Estimate Lad   Email Estimate Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I was kinda dissapointed by the new Massive's album at first but its really grown on me the past month. Only a couple of weeks to their home town gig...can't wait.
From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Its one of those records that doesn't have an immediate impact but you find months later that you can't shake the tunes out of your head.

Enjoy the gig!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.