Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Games you love (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Games you love
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
So, we're all comic geeks here. Well, what goes hand in hand with comic book geekdom better than gaming geekdom? I don't really consider videogames to fit the bill since they're pretty mainstream, but what about the great games of yesteryear and today?

For years my friends and I played Diplomacy, until we figured out that it would be quicker just to go out in the yard and club each other without the pointlessly spent hours of bickering at each other. We also played a lot of Supremacy, regardless of the fact that we always wound up in Nuclear Winter anyway.

That's just a couple of them of course, but I'd like to see what the rest of you have in your closets. Were you an RPG freak, were you into Warhammer, Magic or Monopoly?

Matt

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
in my teen I was a Risk addict
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Dungeons and Dragons. Still is my favorite 'sit down with the friends' game to play. We get together at least once a month for a game and continue weekly via e-mail.

Also in a ton of PBeM games mostly based on role playing in the Legion.

Of course there's HeroClix which is my latest obsession. And what can be better than combining toys, a little role playing and comics?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sonnie Boy:
in my teen I was a Risk addict

Loved Risk! We even used to combine it with our DnD games for real large battles. And I've been tempted to pick up the LotR version lately.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

I played a fair amount of D&D as a kid, although I seem to have lost most of my books over the years. I still have my orignal Basic boxed set though, one of those things I don't think I could ever part with. One of my friends still has a D&D group today too, and he and another friend get together for Squad Leader sometimes. That game was too crazy with the rules for me though.

A big-time favorite that I'd love to play again was Battletech. I think it was the 2nd edition when we played a lot. We came up with our own "house rule" to make it more fun. We realized that the odds of making a hit were always way too low, so we started throwing 4 dice instead of two. You took two for your "to hit" and the other two for location. It also made for a better chance of aiming, as you could jigger your dice since you didn't neccesarily have to use your two highest rolls for your "to hit." It sped things up dramatically. We were in it for the violence. That game also added two phrases to our group lexicon, "mark down that ammo" and "I'm standing in water."

Risk was always pretty fun, til it came down to two giant superpowers beating each other up.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
A buddy of mine and I in college were Axis and Allies freaks!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

I know I played a fair amount of A&A, but I don't really recollect much about it. Games with too much strategy make matlock head hurt.

We played the heck out of Civilization too. That's one of those games that I don't think I ever won a single time.

A good simple, stupidly fun board game was Talisman. Between us we had just about every expansion available at the time. That's another one of those that we alwas talk about dusting off for a walk down memory lane. It encouraged all kinds of selfish mean behavior.

A question for you all: did you ever have someone in your group who always wanted to quit early and leave, usually in a huff? One of my former friends will live forever through the phrase "Patrick can have all my armies."

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i never really got into computer games !!!

and it's funny because, all my friends think i should LOVE them because i read COMICS and love SCI-FI films !!!

Matthew.

[ August 07, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: the boy with UltraPowers ]

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by matlock:

We played the heck out of Civilization too. That's one of those games that I don't think I ever won a single time.

Did you play the original Avalon Hill Civilization, or the computer version? I don't think I know too many people who are aware of the original board game version! It was a really NEAT game, but I could never find any chums who wanted to spend the time involved to play it!

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Sonnie Boy: I was also a Risk addict. I remember Risk tournaments that would last for days during summer camp.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
A buddy of mine and I in college were Axis and Allies freaks!

No kidding! I was quite fond of Axis and Allies back in the day. [Smile]

I like board games -- Life is probably my favorite, because of the little cars and the cool 3-D hills and bridges.

I've also played D&D and a host of other TSR games, including Top Secret, Star Frontiers, Marvel Superheroes, and a couple of others...

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely did my share of role-playing: D&D, Champions, Space Opera, Arms/Spell/Claw Law, Call of Cthulhu, etc.

Board/card games popular with my crowd were Risk, Nuclear War, and Illuminati.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Risk, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Upwords, Razzle, Stratego, and a few others.

One particular favorite was Feudal, which is like Chess in that each piece has a specific move. But each player has an army consisting of a king, knights, pikemen, archers, etc. It also involves a lot of memory and planning, like Chess, but on a board full of hills and rough terrain, somewhat like Stratego.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

You know, it's funny, but one I forgot to mention was the Stat Trek collectible card game by Decipher. I started by playing it, but then went on to collect the cards LONG after I stopped playing it, just because they were SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

--------------------

Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Around ten years ago, there was a period of 2-3 months when I geeked out on "Logic Problems" in Dell Crossword magazines. They were standard graded easy, medium and hard, and my goal was to do as much in my head before using a pencil. I was able eventually to do all the easy and half the medium in my head. After that, the effort of memorizing kept disprupting my deductive imagination. So I had to write it all down and then finish.

Today I doubt I could do the easy ones without cheating! And even then I'd probably get it wrong!

Risk was favorite board game as a kid. Poker was family passion when I was in my twenties.

Now I'm happy if I find four outta the six differences between the kids' cartoon panels in the Sunday funnies!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.