Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Most interesting character or storyline from Doctor Who (1963-1989) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most interesting character or storyline from Doctor Who (1963-1989)
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Attention all Doctor Who fans!

Give me your opinions and bits of nostalgia concerning Dr. Who and his bevy of villains, characters and Companions...who was good, who was bad? Who was bumped off that should have stayed dead, and so forth...

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
While he seems to have been a nice guy, and he did a lot of charitable work duirng and after his run, on the whole the Colin Baker years were a mistake.

Everytime I see "Earthshock" at a con (which is more often than you might think), the death of Adric never fails to elicit a roar of approval from the assembled throng.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Is Adric's passing the only death in the series? What about in the early years, say in the Hartnell run? Wasn't there a character who died then, I think her name was Sara Kingdom or something.
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

There were two characters - Sara and (I believe) Katrina - who were knocked off during a particularly lengthy Dalek series. Both are often considered Companions even though neither was really around for very long.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Yes - the 12-part Dalek Master Plan
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
My fav companions were Sarah Jane and Romana (the first one - I found the blonde one annoying)

It's hard for me to remember specific storylines, but to be unoriginal, stuff with the Daleks and the Master was always great fun.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
When I was a very wee bairn I used to watch Doctor Who on an old black and white TV set from behind the sofa. One of my earliest memories is of me and my best friend watching a Dalek episode and “shooting” the TV with our toy guns. Other very early memories are of an episode featuring large Ant like creatures called the Zarbi (?) But the all time scary one from those days were the Yeti. After watching those episodes, for years afterwards I was scared that if I went to London I was going to have to travel on the London Underground.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"Everytime I see "Earthshock" at a con (which is more often than you might think), the death of Adric never fails to elicit a roar of approval from the assembled throng."

If ever there was a "mistake"... Adric had ONE story in which he WASN'T annoying... "The Keeper Of Traken". He actually looked like after his 3 previous stories he was finally settling in and showing some growth as a character. he got to show off the intellectual side of his character, and he got along quite well with both The Doctor and Nyssa-- one could have imagined a budding young romance there. But he was pretty much brushed aside in the next story, and after that, he just got MORE annoying than he was when he debuted. NO WONDER no one (apart from Nyssa & Tegan) seemed upset when he got bumped. (And if you think about he, he had EVERY CHANCE to get out of that situation... STUPID GIT!)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
Poor old Adric I don't think he was any worse then a lot of assistants he's just the cool one to hate. the ones I rember watching every afternoon were the Sylvester McCoy ones and I thought Ace was pretty cool mostly because she used to blow stuff up I rember thinking Melanie was a bit of a twat. Of course Rose is a bloody good assistant as well however one thing that troubles me about Rose is that she has a family and a life outside the doctor. It was definently an interesting idea to explore but maybe after she returned from being missing a year it would have made more sence if she gave up this companion bit. It would have been bad if she didnt mention her mum and stuff but having her and even Adam with families and mobile phones to call families etc added a distraction where as prehaphs if the girl from the war had of been introduced as an assistant if the brother had been killed off it would have worked better.

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it tragic-- or just plain STUPID-- that they finally revived DOCTOR WHO, but couldn't be bothered GETTING THE EPISODES OVER HERE TO AMERICA?????

(Yeah, I know, very soon... but still...!)

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by profh0011:
"Everytime I see "Earthshock" at a con (which is more often than you might think), the death of Adric never fails to elicit a roar of approval from the assembled throng."

If ever there was a "mistake"... Adric had ONE story in which he WASN'T annoying... "The Keeper Of Traken". He actually looked like after his 3 previous stories he was finally settling in and showing some growth as a character. he got to show off the intellectual side of his character, and he got along quite well with both The Doctor and Nyssa-- one could have imagined a budding young romance there. But he was pretty much brushed aside in the next story, and after that, he just got MORE annoying than he was when he debuted. NO WONDER no one (apart from Nyssa & Tegan) seemed upset when he got bumped. (And if you think about he, he had EVERY CHANCE to get out of that situation... STUPID GIT!)

He was the archetypical role model for every kid who had zit problems [sigh] [Roll Eyes]
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
my favourite period of DR WHO was the Tom Baker years and especially from the period that LEELA and K-9 came on the show !!

i hadn't seen any of the Sarah Jane Smith episodes, and i really liked the first Romana also, in the 'Key To Time' and 'Stones of Blood' episodes, and i too, didn't like the second Romana, that much !!

looking forward to seeing K-9 return in the new series !!

i had the DR WHO toys at this time also ! [ the DR, the TARDIS, K-9 and a CYBERMAN ]

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

The Baker years are my favorite too, partially because he was the first Doctor I encountered. I liked Sylvester McCoy too, though only about half of his eps were any good.

I read recently that Baker seems to have thought companions were unnecessary to the show, and he lobbied to get them removed. That's ego for you.

--------------------

profh0011
Applicant

My top 5 favorite girls (in chronological order) are Zoe, Liz, Sarah, Romana 2 & Mel. (Sarah's my #1)

I also like Jo, Leela, Romana 1 & Ace in certain stories.

But my FAVORITE supporting character on the show is The Brigadier! (Especially when he's written well-- like in "SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE" and "BATTLEFIELD".)

And, while not from the show, I adore Susan from the movies (much better than the original on TV)-- and Louise (the 2nd movie) was pretty cool too!

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

I'm thinking those Peter Cushing DR WHO movies must be set before the events of "An Unearthly Child" coz Susan looks much younger than when she was first seen...and Louise - did she count as a Companion?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.