Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Most interesting character or storyline from Doctor Who (1963-1989) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most interesting character or storyline from Doctor Who (1963-1989)
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
The 2 Peter Cushing-Roberta Tovey films take place in an ALTERNATE universe-- something comic-book fans are very familiar with!

I used to think it would be a great idea if the TV "Doctor" (any one of them, take your pick) got sucked into a parallel universe (hey, it has happened at least twice!) and met "Dr. Who" -- Peter Cushing. They could have done a story featuring the alternate universe version of The Master -- Christopher Lee!!

If memory serves, Susan & Barbara in the 1st movie were both his grand-daughters-- while Louise in the 2nd film was his niece. Ian (1st film) and Tom Campbell (Bernard Cribbins in the 2nd film) just travelled along with them. But I guess that makes them "companions", even if it was only for one story apiece.

The REAL Ian Chesterton, by the way (William Russell, alias Russell Enoch), who was the REAL "hero" of the first 2 seasons (the Guy Williams to William Hartnell's Jonathan Harris-- heh heh heh) recently turned up as a butler in a POIROT 2-hour mystery.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calybos
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calybos   Email Calybos         Edit/Delete Post     
First Doctor (William Hartnell): Focused mostly on "historical" stories. "The Aztecs" and "The Dalek's Master Plan" were particularly good. Companions Sara Kingdom and Katerina both died.

Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton): My personal favorite and favorite male companion (Jamie), though frankly a lot of the stories were weak. "Tomb of the Cybermen" is a standout, as are "The Ice Warriors" and "The War Games." The Second Doctor stories also introduced UNIT and the Brigadier.

Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee): The super-spy-on-Earth period, working closely with UNIT. "The Sea Devils" and "The Three Doctors" were memorable episodes, and "Terror of the Autons" introduced the Doctor's nemesis: The Master.

Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker): Longest-running single actor playing the Doctor, and the one most Americans saw first. Several excellent stories including "Genesis of the Daleks" and the six-part "Key to Time" story. Introduced a number of distinctive companions, including Leela, Adric, Nyssa, fellow Time Lord Romana, and K-9. (Also visited Gallifrey for the first time, in "The Deadly Assassin.")

Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison): My second-favorite Doctor, with more science-fictiony storylines. Standouts include "Castrovalva," "Terminus," "Earthshock," and "The Caves of Androzani." A traitorous companion (Turlough) appears, and the mega-crossover "The Five Doctors" occurs.

Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker): Unstable and smug, probably my least favorite Doctor. Less memorable stories, apart from "Mark of the Rani" (introducing another renegade Time Lord) and "Trial of a Time Lord," which ended Baker's run.

Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy): Probably would've been good if not for unreasonable timing demands; all stories were rushed and compressed. New companion, Ace, did nothing for me. "Remembrance of the Daleks" wasn't bad as a nostalgia episode.

Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann): Lasted for only a single TV movie, best forgotten--though it wasn't McGann's fault.

Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston): Starting over, with some fantastic new hour-long stories. Almost all have been memorable, particularly "End of the World," "Dalek," and "Father's Day."

Tenth Doctor (David Tennant): In the works....

From: Norcross, GA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
I read recently that Baker seems to have thought companions were unnecessary to the show, and he lobbied to get them removed. That's ego for you.

Well, considering that he was bonking one of his companions (Romana 2) for real...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
I read recently that Baker seems to have thought companions were unnecessary to the show, and he lobbied to get them removed. That's ego for you.

Well, considering that he was bonking one of his companions (Romana 2) for real...
Re: Baker and the bonking: Who was the woman he was with, when both were caught in a time warp which prevented him from participating in the events of the "Five Doctors"? Was this Leela or Romana 2?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Romana 2. I believe they used a bit of footage from an unfinished ep called "Shada" in their case.

I'll take "Continuity Gaffes" for $400, Alex.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Are you going for Double Jeopardy, OM? [LOL]
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot turlogh he was an annoying ginger shit.

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Aside from Jamie, which other Dr. Who companion has shown up more than once in the entire series?
Calybos
Applicant

I assume you mean more than one continuous string of "being-a-companion" stories, right?

Well, the Brigadier has been around since the early adventures of the second Doctor. He's met just about all of the Doctors at various times.

In The Five Doctors, several companions were seen for an additional time: Susan, Sarah Jane, and the Brigadier most prominently, but also illusionary appearances by Jamie and Zoe, Capt. Yates and Liz Shaw (and a clip from "Shada" with the second Romana).

From: Norcross, GA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amentep

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amentep   Email Amentep         Edit/Delete Post     
There are a number of "two Doctors" companions.

Ben and Polly (1st and second)
Sarah Jane (3rd and 4th)
Adric, Nyssa, Tegan (4th and 5th)
Peri (5th and 6th)
Mel (6th and 7th)
and now Rose (9th and 10th)

I'm pretty fond of all the Doctors and their periods. They all had something interesting to offer. Its just a pity that the 6th and 7th Doctors were relatively undermined by the BBC and production issues...

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by Calybos:
I assume you mean more than one continuous string of "being-a-companion" stories, right?

Correct! [Smile] [Yes] [qb]

[qb] In The Five Doctors, several companions were seen for an additional time: Susan, Sarah Jane, and the Brigadier most prominently, but also illusionary appearances by Jamie and Zoe, Capt. Yates and Liz Shaw (and a clip from "Shada" with the second Romana).

That was an excellent episode, Calybos [Yes] seeing Susan again (all grown up, as it were) - a pity they didn't have the technology to have William Hartnell appear instead of Michael Hordern, even if his appearances were culled from bits and pieces of his tenure. [Frown]

[ February 23, 2006, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: legionadventureman ]

Calybos
Applicant

The Five Doctors was a heck of an episode all around. Too bad Tom Baker backed out of it (he later said he regretted the decision).
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I do remember seeing one episode of Pertwee first and not liking it (I have since learned to appreciate those stories)

I did get hooked with Tom Baker.

As far as Companions go, I would say Sarah Jane & Leela are my favorites. Peri is my least favorite (very whiney and the way Colin Baker's Doctor treated her, I'm surprized she didn't leave no matter what planet or time they were in)

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Tom "Jelly-Beans" Baker was always my fave, closely followed by Peter "Cricket Jacket" Davidson... probably because they were the ones on when I was a kid and totally into that sort of thing. I loved every episode with the Daleks, didn't think too much of K-9, and was terrified by these bio-tech using red-pustule lined aliens that turned up in an arc with the Brigadier (loved the Brigadier).

Does anyone know who those aliens were? Creepy sorts with sucky-breathing sounding bio-machines. I think their ship/base was at the bottom of a lake? They scared the hell out of me as a kid...

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calybos
Applicant

Could've been the Sea Devils or the Zygons.

Or, if they were reptilian and heavy-breathing, you could be talking about Silurians. If they mostly whispered and had helmets, it was the Ice Warriors.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.