Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Sci-Fi Rant from Resident Cranky Poster! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Rant from Resident Cranky Poster!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Rick, if you really are truly looking for some excellent sci-fi with a macho lead, you must read this post by Jerry and then go start collecting Magnus Robot Fighter!

It's everything you're talking about that you want. In fact, all sci-fi fans should already be reading this.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, something horrible has happened.

In Flotown, there were two book stores, Books a Million, and Barnes and igNobles. BAM had a decent selection of Scifi. Not great, but decent. Nice mix for the most part. In other words, not ever series selection was either female romance horror or some serialized video game made into books by many authors.

the other.. is barnes and Ignobles. This ain't a bookstore, its yuppie hell, with a distressingly horrible selection of scifi. Or rather, NO real selection of scifi.

Now, guess which one is closing this saturday?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe it's time for some cranky dude to de-yuppify B&IgN.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah'm brangin' Rednek Back!

"'mon boyah's, grad them thar gunny saks en' lez' go geddus summ'er dem der boucks."

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

I really can't say how bad B&N is. They don't know when books are coming out (this is the website in the store, the help desk cant actually find out about best selling authors), they don't have the books in store or cant find then when they say they do... but they can sell the hell outta coffee. Marvelous.

--------------------

Something pithy!

rickshaw1
Leader

Frell Frak and Sprock It! B and N still doesn't have a damn thing other than the same old same old. And there's no other fuckin' book store in florence. Yeah, I can find stuff on line, but it's not the same as perusing the stacks, finding something that excites the imagination, and then building personal library.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've given up perusing for Sci-Fi. Everything is a five parter. I take a book home and find I've got the third part. We have a multi-library system so the first part invariably is in some other neighborhood. Nearly everything I get, I first request on-line, local library has it sent over, they send me an email and I go get my books/dvds. Terrific system.

One series, they didn't have the second book, hardcopy but they had it digital. I read about 10 pages on my laptop and gave up. Couldn't get used to the smell.

Actually, I'd have been fine with it if I had a remote mouse I could use to turn pages. I didn't enjoy having to reach every time I wanted to turn the page. I want to sit in my lazyboy and read. Not at a desk and not with the weight of a laptop on my lap.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Charlemagne
Frisky Perchlorate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Charlemagne   Email Kid Charlemagne         Edit/Delete Post     
While this isn't about printed F&SF, it is sci-fi.

It's been 13 years now, but I still miss the Moon. [Wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZW4groJro

--------------------
If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.

From: Arkansas Province, Baaldur | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

kid, i vaguely remember hearing about his show, but it came on a netowrK i couldn't get then.

--------------------

Something pithy!

rickshaw1
Leader

So has anyone heard of any good new sci-fi shows that might be coming up that aren't horror stories in disguise, or apocolypse stories, or fantasy shows?

--------------------

Something pithy!

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
There's a list here.

None of them exactly fit what you are looking for. There's not anything 'Earth: Above & Beyond' ish in the lot.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Only thing that really looked interesting was the Firefly reunion. Dadblast it, even Sci-Fi wasn't thta good.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Firefly has Summer Glau in it, thats reason enough to watch [Big Grin]
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

I gotta say there weren't a bad on in the bunch since it included Morena Baccarin, Jewel State, Summer Glau, Gina Torrez, Christina Hendricks... I think the writing is sometimes a bit overwrought in Whedon's stuff, but you damn sure can't fault his taste in spacegals.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd watch a show with her in it if it consisted of nothing more than Summer pealing potatoes overdubbed with polka music.
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.