Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Facebook! Love it or hate it? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Facebook! Love it or hate it?
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
One of my co-workers spent a huge part of last Thursday afternoon having a major argument with her sister (via cellphone) over something that happened on Facebook.

Without going into detail, let's just say that it's really, really embarrassing hearing other people air this kind of super-personal stuff in front of me and leave it at that. And I'm not temping in a cube farm where I can make up some errand and walk away when people do this kind of thing. No, I just had to grit my teeth and keep working, even though I desperately wanted to snatch her phone away and hurl it at a wall.

[No]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm an addict, but I can stop anytime that I want to. really.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Because of moments like what cleome described above, I've started cleaning up my Facebook account. Security glitches make me paranoid!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's one good thing about Facebook... It (and MLLASH) got me back to LW.net! So it can't be all bad!

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome back, Star Boy.

What's interesting about FB to me is watching people from different spheres of my life interact with one another. Right now, I'm engaging in a rock 'n' roll debate with a member of my writer's group, and one of my childhood friends (whom I haven't seen in over 20 years) has chimed in.

In another recent discussion, rickshaw1 and his wife joined a debate over Christianity between me and an atheist artist friend I occasionally hang out with.

FB: the place where people who would otherwise never meet get to argue with one other. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:

FB: the place where people who would otherwise never meet get to argue with one other. [Big Grin]

Where the weak are CAPS Locked into oblivion.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

I think that's the internet generally!

And here's to more posts by Star Boy!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Star Boy:
Here's one good thing about Facebook... It (and MLLASH) got me back to LW.net! So it can't be all bad!

Oh, I just do these things I do. [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:

I think that's the internet generally!

Yes, but on FB, they wouldn't know each other except through me.

Oh, wait . . .

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been on it since 2004 when it began (as I was college age when it was a college kids only thing), and it's just become a regular part of my life. I exclusively do it from my phone these days--when I'm on the train, in the elevator, in line at the store, etc. Its especially great when I'm traveling for work. I love it for what it is: a way to stay in contact with acquaintances in addition to good friends I'd be in contact with anyway. I can see what's up in their lives, them in mine, and without going through the 'how have you been' intro conversation.

Because I use it from my phone I don't post as much anymore but I read it regularly. The 'like' function is a nice way to acknowledge you've read something without having to force your way into a conversation.

In terms of annoying things, it is what it is. The great misunderstood philosophers are the most amusing though nothing is more annoying to me than 200 Giants fans on Sunday in my neck of the woods. The avid complainers and depressos are so repetitive that I cant help but grin at their over the top complaining. The super-politicos are perhaps the worst of all but I can block them out; sometimes some interesting links come out of that (usually not FB discussions though). But all that is worth it if I can read about a few nice things going on in some peoples lives, send some good thoughts to people genuinely suffering or laugh at the diverse and hilarious humor I see every day.

As for privacy, I'm of the opinion that whatever you post is the property of Zuckerberg and if he wants to sell it to GE or the CIA or North Korea or whatever than I guess we're all fucked but hey, that one is on us. FB owes us nothing on privacy so we can only be masters of our own settings and stay abreast of the changes being made to the site.

And I agree about planning parties--I planned the three best parties I ever heard about let along been too with a huge assist from Facebook.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Also: WELCOME BACK STAR BOY!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, its' strange. I've only been on it for a short while yet I've noticed that it's both much freer and much more constrictive than here. You can post 'bout anything you like, but a much more diverse range of people, some that don't have the Legion connection, can see it, so they might not have a frekin' clue what yer talking about. Plus, ya can't really get into the silliness there that ya can here, but you can have a more open political/religious debate... if you want it.

However, it does have one clear advantage over LW. Pokerist clue, lol.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I use it almost exclusively for planning parties now.

It's also useful for getting dates [Wink]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I don't need the dates, I'm married. Don't wanna'em either. [Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Funny Facebook message from an army buddy of mine today:

"Hey... who is Novelty Nostalgia... and why is he calling you his ex?"

Heh... when worlds collide.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.