Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Intersting summer in movies coming up for Fantasy/Comics fans! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Intersting summer in movies coming up for Fantasy/Comics fans!
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
So, last week, we bought Immortals. Lean on story, lot's of slowmo action intersparced with speeded up quick cuts. Frankly, it was "ehhh". Not bad, not great. A nice, pleasant way to spend a few hours but nothing to write home about.

Last night went to see John Carter. Now, I'm an ERB fan from waaaaaaaay back. Loves me some Barsoom.

Pros- Much better story than I thought we might get. They avoided some of the more risque elements. I might not have minded seeing Lynn Collins runnin' around nearly naked, but that would have brought up the cheese factor greatly.

Great visuals. Lots of money spent on tharks and skysleds. But worth it. Good, crisp and clean.

Woolla- a humorous element that was sprinkled throughout the movie, along with a few others. It wasn't "guffaw" type humor, but light humor that added rather than detracted from the movie.

Cons- of six previews before the movie, Liam Neeson was in three, and Mark Strong in another, as well as John Carter. Nothing to do with the movie, but damn, these guys are in everything.

John Carter himself. Okay, I knew they were gonna prettyboy it up, but the "wig" look for him on earth was a little off, like something out of Dark Shadows from the sixties. As well, to give the Barsoomians a subtle red shading, they apparantly drained the boy of blood to make him look pale and whiter than white. Whitey McWhiterson, paging Mr. McWhiterson. He looked like a vampire in several scenes. And considering how much I hate that fuckin craze right now, that's not a good thing.

Obligatory mini trek to somewhere else- for some reason, lots of these action movies have mini-treks to somewhere else for not much reason I can tell other than to fill the story. And by that I mean filler, not actual "moving the story along". See Hal Jordans trip to OA to ask for help in GL... featuring Mark Strong.

Things that seemed odd but actually work- The earth scenes dialog and the "earnest" discussions with Dejah on Barsoom. Only one spot seemed a little cheesy, the bit at the end with Dejah.

There is one scene were Carter is leaving with Sola and Woolla and she is "following". I wont say any more than that, but there is the only truly groan worthy scene in the movie I saw, and chicks will dig it anyway.

I don't know how much it cost, but it was a lot of fun for an ERB fan. And... Mark Strong was in it.

[Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
What I'm taking from all that is you have the hots for Mark Strong...? [Hmmm?] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Then youse' got it wrong. Carol and I were laughing at the fact that they seem to be in everything now. Battleship, GL, Ateam, John Carter. If the two of them have a love child, they will rule hollywood with an iron fist. An Iron Fist I tell's ya.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

[Wink]

--------------------

Something pithy!

rickshaw1
Leader

So, this was the summer for me so far.

Dark Knight- Solid B. Very heavy, a few spots seemed to drag, the big reveal wasn't that big, but still pretty good.

John Carter- Lost of fun, and Lynn Collins was freakin gorgeous. Definitely didn't deserve the bad rap it got.

Avengers- Lots of fast food fun, pretty much the opposite of TDKR in that it was fun and forgettable.

Wrath of the Titans- Bout' the same as the first, really. I enjoyed both, but was only blown away by the CGI.

Haven't seen Prometheus.

--------------------

Something pithy!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.