Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Things you liked at first, but then hated (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Things you liked at first, but then hated
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Bloom County. The middle years were awesome, but the final two or three years were vile. Sloppy art, lame jokes, characters not acting like themselves...yuck.

Lost. Loved Season One, but I thought Season Two was toxically bad, especially *n* L*c**, and the show never recovered.

Strawberries. Loved them until fairly recently, now they make me sick.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
The Democratic Party. [No]

Tori Amos. Liked her first CD, but then I made the mistake of reading one of her interviews. [I Dunno] That ruined everything for me that came afterward. (These days, I try like mad never to read the opinions of artists whose work I admire. It's so much better being ignorant.) Also, I met so many of her fans on the 'net (and a couple IRL) that turned out to be mega-pretentious, astoundingly self-important wankers.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, as a rule, I avoid fansites for pop stars. I got burned really badly by a few. The saddest part is that the few nice fans get drowned out by all the incessant brouhaha.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Guns and Roses. Their first album was a refreshing slap in the face from all the hair metal that had been happening in the 80's (not that all of that was terrible mind you.)

Then...they turned into a parody of themselves, and then it got worse from there.

CAnnot really listen to anything outside that first album, and even that makes me cringe.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Yeah, as a rule, I avoid fansites for pop stars. I got burned really badly by a few. The saddest part is that the few nice fans get drowned out by all the incessant brouhaha.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I love jazz but in general I don't love jazz fansites. Too much egotistical wankery, and too many hopeless snobs who want to save their precious toys from the unwashed masses and their grubby plebian paws. (Sort of like some comics sites, sad to say.)

Carrying that further, sometimes in the internet age, I've found out things I would have rather not known about the politics of jazz critics, some of whom were my indispensable guides when I was discovering the music in a big way. There are some who have amazingly Neanderthal views on things other than music. Now I wince when I see their names on the liner notes in my collection. [sigh]

[ April 30, 2012, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Guns and Roses. Their first album was a refreshing slap in the face from all the hair metal that had been happening in the 80's (not that all of that was terrible mind you.)

Then...they turned into a parody of themselves, and then it got worse from there.

CAnnot really listen to anything outside that first album, and even that makes me cringe.

Yeah, I loved (most) hair metal, but I loved GnR, too...at first.

I do think the good bits of their all-covers album "The Spaghetti Incident" are almost as great as the first album, though. For that matter, I'd also rate their Wings and Dylan covers from the "Illusion" albums. But their original material...yeesh.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
quote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I love jazz but in general I don't love jazz fansites. Too much egotistical wankery, and too many hopeless snobs who want to save their precious toys from the unwashed masses and their grubby plebian paws. (Sort of like some comics sites, sad to say.)

Carrying that further, sometimes in the internet age, I've found out things I would have rather not known about the politics of jazz critics, some of whom were my indispensable guides when I was discovering the music in a big way. There are some who have amazingly Neanderthal views on things other than music. Now I wince when I see their names on the liner notes in my collection. [sigh]

Oh, entertainment journalism is definitely something I went from loving to hating. Most critics are just in it for the perks, IMO. And even some of the ones who genuinely love what they write about have an apalling sense of self-importance. About the only living one I can still tolerate is Nick Kent, whose recent "Apathy for the Devil" memoirs showed a refreshingly mature view of his youthful bad behavior.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:

Yeah, I loved (most) hair metal, but I loved GnR, too...at first.

I do think the good bits of their all-covers album "The Spaghetti Incident" are almost as great as the first album, though. For that matter, I'd also rate their Wings and Dylan covers from the "Illusion" albums. But their original material...yeesh.

I will admit to still liking Live and Let Die.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Dev-Em:
I will admit to still liking Live and Let Die.

Oh, yeah. [Yes]

"YA GOTTA GIVE THE OTHER FELLA HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL!!!!!!"

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9vAItORgE
Dev - Em
KIA

Stand Up Comedians. Almost all of them.

They're funny the first time you see them, and then it gets boring. Chappelle, Seinfeld, Mencia, and many many more.

The one MAJOR exception for me is Steven Wright. He get's funnier all the time, and he can do the same set (or I can watch the old HBO special) over and over and it never gets old to me.

Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
^ Yep, still like Steven Wright.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Geoff Johns. His original JSA and the first part of his Flash runs were great, but then he went off the rails. I honestly think he got too big and at some point his editors failed to hold him in check, and suddenly half-baked ideas and ultra-violence proliferated. I also think he took on too many titles and the quality substantially dropped (compare an early book to his current output in regards to splash pages/ word count, etc).
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Geoff Johns. His original JSA and the first part of his Flash runs were great, but then he went off the rails. I honestly think he got too big and at some point his editors failed to hold him in check, and suddenly half-baked ideas and ultra-violence proliferated. I also think he took on too many titles and the quality substantially dropped (compare an early book to his current output in regards to splash pages/ word count, etc).

100% agree.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

This could just as easily go in Quislet's thread about dropping religion, but... quite a few aspects of the faith I was born to. In particular that whole "The Chosen People of God" thing has some seriously problematic applications in the real world.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.