Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Things you liked at first, but then hated (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Things you liked at first, but then hated
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
"Bones."

At first, I enjoyed the interplay between Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz and their investigations into gruesome crimes, as well as the the supporting cast, but it all wore thin very quickly.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
This could just as easily go in Quislet's thread about dropping religion,

I cannot find said thread, where is it located?
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's called "Coming Out," Dave. I just posted/bumped it.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Ah thanks. I erroneously assumed it was about "Coming Out" [Wink] . (It's also in MMB, where I rarely go).
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Tina Fey's humor.

While I still like Tina the person & even as an actress, I have to say that she just isn't really funny at all. She has moments of brilliance--the Sarah Palin parody comes to mind--but overall, she's really only just okay. It doesn't help that she's so predictable in her political leanings and tendency to promote all things 'PC'.

I still like her though; there's no getting around that. But she rarely makes me laugh.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]

And I'd much rather watch Fey as the repressed, overthinking nerd on 30 Rock than watch yet another parody on SNL. The latter is definitely one of those things that I used to love and now can't get into at all. Even if I don't actively hate it, for the most part I find it overhyped, padded, and stale.

Maybe I just outgrew parody-related humor as a whole, and I'd rather watch comedy that's a study of how weird and bereft of sense an individual comes across to just about anyone other than herself.

[Hmmm?]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I can't watch more than five minutes of "30 Rock" at a time. Fey, Baldwin and the rest are so over the top as caricatures I find it hard to believe they represent real people.

For that matter, series television in general is something I used to love (read: was addicted to) but now have virtually zero patience for. Every show seems like every other show of its type (crime show, sitcom, etc.) with sophomoric humor, one-dimensional characters, and story lines that passed their expiration date 30 years ago. Worse, the remote makes it unlikely that I will sit through commercials and remember what I was watching when it's time to flip back.

Dang, it's hard being crotchety and old . . . or great, I'm not sure which.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Giffen's BWA-HA-HA Justice League. I initially enjoyed the little silly bits that were thrown in. But then the silly bits became the focal point. I got so tired of it that I didn't like it when it was brought back years later as specials. Between this, his later Legion art, and "killing" Karate Kid just because he didn't like the character has really turned me off of everything he does now.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
[LOL]

And I'd much rather watch Fey as the repressed, overthinking nerd on 30 Rock than watch yet another parody on SNL. The latter is definitely one of those things that I used to love and now can't get into at all. Even if I don't actively hate it, for the most part I find it overhyped, padded, and stale.

Maybe I just outgrew parody-related humor as a whole, and I'd rather watch comedy that's a study of how weird and bereft of sense an individual comes across to just about anyone other than herself.

[Hmmm?]

Well, I actually like Liz Lemon, the character, when she's being played as the strait-woman.

When Tina hosts SNL...ugh. The funny is sucked right out of the room.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Adding to HWW's comments about TV: I used to love cop shows, but I turned cold to them in the last ten years or so. The overexposure of things like the L&O franchise, combined with too much RL exposure to really terrible cops in my own city... well, that kind of killed it for me. As a whole I neither like nor trust the police in day to day life, and I'm pretty fed up with them being held up as heroes constantly in pop entertainment.

If anything, it feels like pop culture marketers are pushing cops as heroes harder and harder, in response to the phenomenon of more "average citizens" becoming distrustful and disenchanted with police conduct. I know that the recent issue of Daredevil had a heartfelt rah-rah from the title character about the glory of protecting and serving the public while in uniform. But having seen the way police behave as a rule in this town, (if they are not supposed "bad apples" they seem unable and disinterested in doing anything but protecting those "bad apples" from taking any responsibility for their actions) it just made me roll my eyes.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
One I've noticed is that the preponderance of cop shows seems to have come at the expense of private detective shows, which seem almost completely absent from the air these days.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The only great cop show I've seen on TV in years and years was the Shield. And it addresses exactly what Cleome is talking about, and pulls absolutely no punches.

My favorite private detective show was Veronica Mars which unfortunately got cancelled. Incredibly clever and with one of the best leads ever!

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
One I've noticed is that the preponderance of cop shows seems to have come at the expense of private detective shows, which seem almost completely absent from the air these days.

what about Cheaters?!?! [Big Grin]

seriously though, I was just going to suggest Veronica Mars.

Click Here For A SpoilerI love it in the later episodes where she would tazer people and/or have her adorable pitbull attack people haha!

I was really starting to get into Prime Suspect ... which was a horrible imitation of the british show at first ... then they changed it up and it was more funny and about camaraderie ... and now it's gone. [shrug]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
by the way:

the British Prime Suspect ... is so amazing there needs to be a new less used word that means amazing to describe it.

It has a lot of grizzly killings but ... what the show is really about ... is how messed up the cops are ... but not in a sensationalist way ... they're not corrupt, they're just a bit broken by their lives and work.

It is must watching. and Helen Mirren ! yes!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Yeah, PS was a good show, for that and other reasons. [Yes]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.