Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/08/24 09:53 AM
Books you are looking for to help with your collection.
by Ann Hebistand - 06/08/24 09:49 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/08/24 08:53 AM
The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
by Ann Hebistand - 06/08/24 07:31 AM
Pattern Recognition
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:10 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:09 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 02:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/08/24 01:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Favorite Moments of Legion Camraderie
#8185 04/24/08 06:24 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Hands down the best part about a comic with 25 Legionnaires is when (A) characters personalities develop overtime to create strong friendships and bonds that help heighten the interest in the story and (B) when characters normally not seen together suddenly end up working together over the course of a story and a really cool, almost accidently, dynamic takes place.

Some of my favorites (I'll add more when I recall them):

Talok VIII/Fatal Five - one of my all-time favorite Legion stories, this is the one that inspired this thread. My favorite sense of camraderie among Legionnaires is with Superboy, Brainy, Karate Kid and Cosmic Boy, and then of course, Shadow Lass. We have the Legionnaires ribbing each other a little all the while keeping up a very continual and sometimes subtle sense of trust, respect and faith between them all. Val & Cos complain about their heavy packs and Brainy of course admonishes them and reminds them they'll really be complaining when the packs get light (and they run out of food/water/supplies). To make it even cooler, Shady is introduced and inducted with the full knowledge that the five of them are probably going off to die. The dynamic between the five of them makes this what I consider the greatest Fatal Five story of all time, and one of my favorites.

The Omen & the Prophet - what exactly was going on in this story makes it grounds for debate among Legion fans, but what makes it so enjoyable to me is the constant camraderie seen throughout the story, and in a variety of teams. Though the Garth/Imra/Cos/Dirk/Blok/Dreamy team plays a big part, as do Mon & Jo when they show up, the real stars of the show for the beginning of the story are Shady, Phantom Girl, Timberwolf and Invisible Kid. This story here made me a fan of Jacques Focquart and I remember fondly his talk with Tinya about the deceased Lyle Norg. Tinya comes off as very competent and confident, and her friendship with Shady shines through, as does the effectiveness of the team. I can reread these issues and enjoy every page even if I gave up on trying to figure out the Omen and Prophet parts ages ago.

Mordru the Merciless - of course someone will mention Superboy, Mon, Luornu and Shadow Lass in the first Mordru story, and with good reason too--its another classic example. We've talked about it at length at LW years ago, and I look forward to new insight. Its one of the greatest stories of the Silver Age for sure, and really lets each character shine. Not to mention its what I consider a pivotal moment in the social structure of the Legion that will lead to the changes to the Cockrum era.

Give me some of your favorites. I can go on and on if you don't stop me wink

Re: Favorite Moments of Legion Camraderie
#8186 04/24/08 06:50 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Not exactly the kinds of things you're talking about, but:

- Rokk and Garth after the birth of Pol to Rokk and Lydda
- Jo and Mon-El greeting each other after a long time sometime in the 5YL era, with sparring and playfighting and, "Oh, tough guy, eh?"

#8187 04/24/08 06:52 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Both great moments! Its actually that kind of thing I'm thinking about too (though I didn't quite phrase it right). The Rokk/Garth moment you mention may be my favorite moment between the two in the entire history of the Legion.

#8188 04/24/08 07:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy
[Linked Image]

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#8189 04/24/08 07:33 PM
Candidate
Candidate
Some moments I recall, which may be more representative of certain legionnaires loyalties/friendships, than teamwork dynamics.

***Universo Project--Imra was incredible in this storyline as the first to regain her awareness. Left with the task of figuring out the exacts of her situation and of snapping her brainwashed teammates back to awareness. Levitz used this character to give us his perceptions of her teammates, (Querl, Reep,& Nura.) I Found it odd at the time that Imra seemed to have more compassion for Reep & Querl when they came out of it, than she did for Nura.

***After Lu's second self was seemingly obliterated by the Time Trapper. Querl went to visit her in her quarters. She, of course, was understandably grief-stricken. He projected himself into her quarters, with some new technology he was still working on, and was explaining that she needn't be concerned if she wasn't decent because he wasn't able to see her very well. In her grief-stricken state she was able to manage to see the humor in the situation. Querl was motivated by his sense of guilt, and even moreso, by his feelings of friendship for Lu. His *creation,* (Computo,) destroyed one of her *selves.* Then he masterminded the revenge plot against the Time Trapper which cost her another *self.* To, somehow, atone for this he offered her his force-shield belt in an effort to protect her remaining *self.*

***As Jazmin and Jan descended toward the rift, seemingly to their deaths, (who knew??) I was touched by the *bonding* that took place as they prepared themselves for the inevitable. I felt, once Jazmin came to prominence in the Lost series, that she was harboring deep feelings for her teammate. She seemed awfully devoted to him. A shame that never got explored, since they eventually gave her a new interest in the form of Rokk.

There are other moments, and I'll probably share more later.

Jesus

#8190 04/24/08 07:49 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by jesjos: ***Universo Project--Imra was incredible in this storyline as the first to regain her awareness.
I love the bit on the liner later where they are trying to figure out why the four of them, and Brainy is like, 'Isn't obvious? Someone targetted the four smartest Legionnaires." and Dreamy quips, "So all this time, you've loved me for my brain?"

***After Lu's second self was seemingly obliterated by the Time Trapper. Querl went to visit her in her quarters.
Another of my favorites!

The 'trial' of Brainiac Five, after the death of the Time Trapper, was another one. The hug he gives Imra before leaving the team was definitely an effective moment.

And hey, just to pick a tiny detail, the recent scene of Jo tugging Cham's antennae and the both of them laughing was kinda cool. A throwback to an earlier time.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#8191 04/24/08 09:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
1) Phantom Girl thanking Shadow Lass for not trying to stop the framed Ultra Boy during the big chase scene in S/LSH #239.

2) Cosmic Boy and Colossal Boy discussing the purpose of the Legion against a night sky in the early reboot. Similar feeling to the Superboy/Wildfire pages that Lone Wolf posted above.

3) Images of Wildfire, Dawnstar, and Mon-El, sometimes joined by Ultra Boy or Superboy, flying out in front of a Legion cruiser in deep space always brought a feeling of camraderie. This feeling was recaptured when the reboot Mon-El and E.R.G. first flew together pushing a space ship through space in "Widening Rifts".

4) A small group of Legionnaires trusting Superboy more than their own memories, and following him back the the 20th century to investigate time distortions, during the Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl wedding special.

5) Shrinking Violet and Colossoal Boy trapped in a powerless cruiser in Mike Grell's first Legion story.

6) Star Boy and XS fighting together to save Xanthu from Khunds in Legion Worlds.

7) Vi going back into battle after losing a leg during 5YL. She and Ayla joking that there should be Legion "L's" on her artificial leg.

8) Shvaughn comforting the terrified distraught SW6 Element Lad after he used his powers to kill in the ProFem story.

9) My personal favorite: Vi and Rokk finally discussing Venado Bay during the 5YL.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#8192 04/24/08 09:39 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Jerry:
9) My personal favorite: Vi and Rokk finally discussing Venado Bay during the 5YL.
Ugh--you beat me to it! After thinking about it for awhile, this was the main one that popped into my head. I loved how Vi was so worried about telling Rokk the truth for the longest. But he was completely understanding. It was absolutely beautiful!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#8193 04/24/08 11:58 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
In the 5-Year Gap Legion, I think that the Reunion Annual on Winath was a fantastic display of interpersonal and team comraderie from beginning to end. God, I miss the promise that was inherent in having two legions; an experienced, adult one, and a youthful, exhuberent one. **SIGH!** frown

In the Reboot/Archie Legion, I loved it when Monstress and Sensor were having dinner together in the Legion HQ cafeteria and discovered that they both observed the practice of giving thanks to the spirits of the livestock or prey whose flesh they ate (it was gratifying to see that respect for the circle of life continues on into the 30th century--something that I don't ever recall Dawnstar exemplifying, disappointingly). This was the quiet start of a promising friendship based on mutual respect and genuine liking--and was a fine display of interspecies amity, too. And to me, it also showed that they both generally had real class. smile

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#8194 04/25/08 06:34 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Cobie, jesjos, and Jerry mentioned a ton of great ones I love. Some more I can think of:

- The Legion girls hanging out in their new dorm wing, shortly before their second revolt against the boys.

- The scene with Mysa and Jacques (I believe), where they discuss how at its darkest hour during the Great Darkness Saga, the Legion has ironically never stood stronger.

- Brin calling out Blok's name after the Omen/Prophet/whoever roasts his stony friend.

- Ayla humored by Brin's boyish antics after they had split, with Imra chiding her in Brin's defense. Terrific nod to the relationship results from the Frozen Hell story.

- Venado Bay itself, where even with a stabbed eye, Vi begs for her comrades to not harm Rokk.

- Vi's apology for how she's been treating Yera for the last five years during the reunion (now that Yera sort of counts).

- SW6 & the adult Vi, where SW6 discovers that maybe growing up to be the adult Vi wouldn't be so bad after all.

- Rokk, Celeste, and then Laurel all offer each other a shoulder to sleep on or cry on during Earth's memorial service.

- Cham and Computo, who once at each other's throats now find a mutual enemy in SW6 Tenzil to prank.

- Cham and Lyle in the postboot, especially the earlier days where Lyle acted as translator.

- Brainy carrying Gates on his back, after rescuing him from McCauley/Ra's livestocks.

#8195 04/25/08 07:02 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Future:
- The scene with Mysa and Jacques (I believe), where they discuss how at its darkest hour during the Great Darkness Saga, the Legion has ironically never stood stronger.
My all-time favorite quote in Legion history by the White Witch.

#8196 04/25/08 10:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
- Starman confiding in Wildfire about his relationship with Dream Girl during the Legion elections.

- White Witch joining Blok to review the tape logs (as the lead in to "Tales of the LSH")

- Projectra telling an old tale of her, Karate Kid and Ferro Lad to Invisible Lad II and I think someone else who I can't remember.

- Lightning Lad overhearing Wildfire tell his origin to the trainees then offering to walk with his fellow legionnaire back to the clubhouse.

- In TMK, Jo digging through the rubble to find his LLL shaving kit that Rokk gave him.

#8197 04/25/08 01:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Have to think about it more but one that hasn't mentioned...

Tinya's mission to find Cham who is undercover. He tells her to leave and she does without revealing anything...angering Dawnstar. Espionage Squad camraderie.

Vi talking to Ayla after she hits on Magnetic Kid.

Cham rescuing Gim in the Starfinger story.

#8198 04/25/08 02:10 PM
Active
Active
I like very much,the moment when Sussa tell to Jo : Go!
And he leaves her, to search his beloved Tinya lost in time.

The short storie in Action Comics when Vi dates with Tenzil, and Projectra help her with the make up.

From UK with glamour.
#8199 04/26/08 09:40 AM
S
Active
Active
S
This is a great idea for a thread. The atmosphere of camaraderie and mutual friendship is one of my favorite things about the Legion.

There were actually several moments of camaraderie in the latest issue - Jo pulling on Cham's antennae, Brainy thanking Shady for coming to his aid.

Also:

Tinya giving Blok a hug and calling him an "old stone-faced softy," after discovering that Blok was watching videos about Mysa.

Ayla messing up Lyle's hair.

Lyle and Trip conspiring to ask Brainy why he calls himself Brainiac 5 and not Darkseid 2.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#8200 04/27/08 09:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The Legion finally winning their independence in LSH 80, after beating Chu once and for all.

Karate Kid giving up his freedom to stay with an injured Ferro in Legion Worlds 5.

Saturn Girl telling Monstress that Shikari thought she was brave in Legion Lost 2.

Cos, Vi, Triad, Lyle and Chuck rushing to save - and greeting - the returned Lost Legionnaires.

#8201 04/29/08 08:21 AM
Active
Active
Timber WOlf and Blok's friendship in the griffen-levitz dayz...also the blok, white witch, dawnstar, and invisible kid comeradie in being the new kids on the block (esp when Mysa took down that Khund baddy in LSH 298)

Bring back the super-cousins
#8202 04/29/08 08:35 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I am not a huge fan of the founding three together since it seems to happen a lot, but a great moment was them together during the Great Darkness Saga when they were holding down the Legion HQ fort. Some great camaraderie while analyzing the Servants, and later calling in the Subs, Reserves, etc to fight the Daxamite army. Good stuff.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#8203 05/02/08 08:20 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by jesjos:

***After Lu's second self was seemingly obliterated by the Time Trapper. Querl went to visit her in her quarters. She, of course, was understandably grief-stricken. He projected himself into her quarters, with some new technology he was still working on, and was explaining that she needn't be concerned if she wasn't decent because he wasn't able to see her very well. In her grief-stricken state she was able to manage to see the humor in the situation. Querl was motivated by his sense of guilt, and even moreso, by his feelings of friendship for Lu. His *creation,* (Computo,) destroyed one of her *selves.* Then he masterminded the revenge plot against the Time Trapper which cost her another *self.* To, somehow, atone for this he offered her his force-shield belt in an effort to protect her remaining *self.*
The best part of this scene was when Brainy tells Luornu that she was not one of the weakest, but one of the bravest Legionnaires.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#8204 05/02/08 08:23 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Jerry:

5) Shrinking Violet and Colossoal Boy trapped in a powerless cruiser in Mike Grell's first Legion story.
Actually Dave Cockrum's last Legion story--along with Wrath of the Devil Fish in S/LSH #202. Grell took over in #203: Invisible Kid's death.

#8205 05/02/08 08:28 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
In the 5-Year Gap Legion, I think that the Reunion Annual on Winath was a fantastic display of interpersonal and team comraderie from beginning to end.
I couldn't agree more!

#8206 05/02/08 12:34 PM
Active
Active
The legally depowered "Outlawed Legion" fighting a street gang in ADV#359--highlight-- thug running away from the fearsome threesome of Garth, Dirk, and Rokk only to be felled by Chuck's fist....

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#8207 05/03/08 09:18 AM
Active
Active
Thanks Lone wolf, that sequence between Supes and Wildfire. Is my favorite but i'll admit a handfull stand out as well

1. The Picnic and Volleyball game on R J's Planetoid.

2. Monel and Ultra Boy. " Distracting" Wildfire when Dawny is off on her Soulmate quest

3. When Cham goes to convince Rokk to "Put the band back together" at the start of the 5year gap.

4. The Very end of the Postboot. With Shakri leaving the stranded Legionnaires while they are shouting Long live the Legion.

5. Legion 300, Yes. The entire issue.

6.When Rokk Was about to kill the thugs who fireballed his family, I believe it was Dirk who said. "If we stop him he'll never know if he could have stopped himself."

7. Five yr gap, Lyddia explaing to Loomis what
the Legion meant to all of them.

6. Dunno if this qualifies as camraderie or commitment. When the SW6ers emerged from the catacombes and finds a Legion flag and salutes it not know where or when they are.

I sought truth.. and found friendship and love, which even your lies can never take the memory of from me. (B5 to Time Trapper LSH 50)
#8208 05/06/08 07:27 AM
Leader
Leader
Hey, I posted on this thread the other day, but now my post is gone. What's up with that?

#8209 05/06/08 12:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Hey, I posted on this thread the other day, but now my post is gone. What's up with that?
Please read ...if you notice something missing please post to the linked thread. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,026
Posts1,045,981
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star