Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 32 Murran Spies, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:15 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:14 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:11 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/31/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/31/24 07:58 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/31/24 03:48 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/31/24 11:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Re: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
#105434 08/01/11 11:34 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks for the nice words, everybody!

Today we've got three LMBers who will have you seeing red: Crymsun Kid, Dave Hackett (also known as Rouge), and - because it wouldn't be a Legion without a traitor - our old turncoat, the Red Bee:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For Crymsun, I tossed around a couple idea (Crimson Tide, King Crimson) before finding something on the web claiming that the name, "Crymsun" signifies "bloodshed". Personally, I think that might be a bit dubious but, eh, any port in a storm. I used a swipe from the chest logo of the most recent incarnation of the Crimson Avenger from JSA.

For Dave, I thought of tying his Rouge name to the "Moulin Rouge" and maybe using a windmill... it's French... he's a big music fan... but decided that was too much of a stretch. Instead, I just kept it simple and went with the chest logo of the character he uses as an avatar, the "Legends of Dead Earth" Wildfire.

And for the Bee, uber-simple... but I think uber-effective, too. There is something about the combination of the size and repitition of the honeycomb pattern that just says "menance" to me. It suggests both a single minded efficiency and looming threat. How could the LMB not know he would betray them?

Up next:

"Hey! You totally forget one of the "red" ones!"

"I didn't forget her, I just thought she would be better grouped in a whole "Next Generation" LMB thing. It's the next one up, and you're in it, too."

"Right... I'm so sure."

#105435 08/01/11 11:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm like, so totally sure.

Totally.

#105436 08/01/11 03:27 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Exnihil:
[Linked Image]

Seymour, on the other hand, is, of course, the Audrey Two from "Little Shop of Horrors" and, I don't at all mind saying, is pretty badass.
Squee! That's awesome. And, yes, pretty badass.

#105437 08/01/11 08:27 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Don't get me wrong now. I like my symbol very much, but...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I'm kinda' jealous of Seymour's gorgeous mouth...</span></span>

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#105438 08/01/11 09:54 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
So... what's the over/under on how long it takes that phrase to earn its own "101 Things" thread over on the MMB? This can't end well...

Really glad you guys like your symbols... if I can make just one LMBer "squee," I feel I've done my job. smile

So, next, we've got the LMB: The Next Generation. These are the younger posters on Legion World who are the last, best hope for a shiny tomorrow... no... sorry... couldn't keep a straight face on that one. wink

Among our youth brigade in the LMB we've got: Karie, Kid Flash 2 Fan, Red Arrow (aka Emily Sivana) and, of course, Sarcasm Kid:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Although Karie's been around for longer than I, I actually know very little about her. I do know she's from New Zealand... and once sported a fez at a Morrocan-themed birthday but, unfortunately, fezzes don't hold up well to Photoshop embossing (trust me, I tried). So, instead Karie gets a Southern Cross to represent her flip-side-of-the-globedness.

KF2F is a fantastic artist who really needs to start posting more of her gorgeous work. For her name choice, she gets a Bart Allen emblem all her own.

For Emily, I wanted to represent a couple aspects of her character - the fact that she's an archer, and the familial link to the Power of Shazam. I'm not sure if this comes across (I can see it, but I drew it so I'm biased) but her arrowhead in this design is the Shazam lightning bolt. I think that detail might get lost when I reduce it for the group shots.

And for Sarky, I sort of went back and forth on what I wanted to do (I was thinking maybe like a curse substitute that you see in comics, like "#$!*%" or something, but that seemed too crass). Then I happened to stumble across a T-shirt design explicitly for "Sarcasm" and that was all she wrote. It's totally stolen, but I don't think I could have come up with a better one than that. I did change the light source from the upper left that I usually use on these to directly above to try to give the illusion of a forward head tilt (sort of a Giffen-shadow thing).

Up next: So we met the New Kids... now it's time for the Almost But Not Quite New Kids (or the ABN-QNKs, if you're into that whole brevity thing.)

#105439 08/02/11 04:33 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
I echo how great Seymour's symbol is and I love that you're still rolling this project along, Ex. Keep at it! It's pretty inspiring.

#105440 08/02/11 12:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It's really pretty and gets the points across. I really put alot of heart and effort into designing the character, even if most of the information just sits in my notes. Thank you for the symbol.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#105441 08/02/11 09:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yay! Thank you! I love it.

#105442 08/03/11 04:06 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Never commented when you posted it, but mine looks good.

Great work on all the new ones since then too

#105443 08/03/11 04:38 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, deddy! (BTW how much longer until it's really "daddy"?)

Yours is actually one I am going to slightly redo, though. I used the clone tool too much on the bottom, and it wound up looking a little too thin and ripple-y.

Thanks also to Future, Emily, And Sarky. I'm really glad you guys are enjoying this project. I started out to do just the top 100 and a few others... but it looks like the final count will come in around 140.

#105444 08/03/11 06:10 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
bit less than 3 months (she's due oct 24th)

#105445 08/03/11 10:03 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
It's wonderful seeing all these icons together, exnihil. Great work!

#105446 08/03/11 10:18 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, IB (and huge congrats, again, deddy)!

So I was going to do full set of the Quank clan all at once, but after realizing how many characters that entails, I think I'll pepper them throughout the remainder.

First up are a matched set of tiny killers, the "Hit Girl" and "Deadly Little Miho" of the LMB - Everyday Girl and My Whee Fem:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Each of their logos use their weapons of choice - the 9mm Berettas for EG and the butterfly knives for My (opened to suggest an "M").

I tried to angle the two in a similar fashion, so they would act as a nice matched pair.

Up next - It's time to turn your head... and cough.

#105447 08/04/11 11:13 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Two more, as we get our checkup with the medical personnel of the LMB: Doctor One and Sam Pureheart:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sort of straightforward for each, as each uses slightly modified existing medical symbols.

Dr. One is the caduceus with the truck removed to form an Interlac "1" on top (even though any reasonable person would say that an Interac "1" should be [i]two[/i] circles. smile )

And Everyday Girl's EMT boyfriend, Sam, just uses the existing EMT symbol, with the serpent replaced by an Interlac "S".

Up next - OK, I've got 91 down, so that will make a nice 7 x 13 group shot. I'm going to take a couple of days and do some fixes on the ones I've done so far (as well as a requested revision), then the group shot... then, full speed ahead to the finish line!

#105448 08/06/11 09:30 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Note to Candlelight - when you get a moment, could you delete some of your PM messages? I have a couple new versions of yours for you to pick from, but your mailbox is full.

#105449 08/07/11 01:33 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sorry, Ex.
frown
Done.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#105450 08/07/11 02:03 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Wait, what? I'm still in the Top 100?!

{checks Mission Monitor Board}

Wow ... I am ... *and* ... there are still people in the Top 100 with fewer than 1,000 posts ...

... slackers ...

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#105451 08/07/11 03:54 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Hiya, BRM... long time, no see!

Before we get to the group shot, although I did do a bunch of little fixes (annotated at the bottom) I completely redid two of them, so I figured they should get the full size treatment: Future King And Nightcrawler:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I wasn't happy with the original FK one - I was going for the "Checkers' promotion, when a piece will one day be a "king', but I think it was to small to be effective (I actually had to use just a quarter of the checker board for it even to show up). So in the revision, I kept that idea - but abstracted it, removing the board and blowing up the regular and king pieces.

The original Nightcrawler was actually the 2nd one of these I ever did and I was still learning some tricks. As a result, it was somewhat simplistic (a blended question mark/arrow combo). Now that I have gotten a little more adept in this program, if anyone deserves the "deluxe" treatment, it's Nighty. Thanks to Set and Superboymmdjr for encouraging me to redo it... I think this one is like 100 times better.

So now... group shot time:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Apart from the new logos for Future King and Nightcrawler, I also made the following fixes:

- Standardized the light source on Beagz and Lightning Lad
- Redid the Dedman logo to make it a bit more crisp and consistent
- Fixed the too-dark shadows on DrakeB3004
- Finally fixed the center of Lash's whip to make it more circular and distinct
- Reduced the scale of Mystery Lad to be more consistent
- Increased the scale of Novelty and straightened it out

The ones I might revise after seeing them here:

- I think I might knock out the backing part of Kid Flash 2 Fan
- Jim Gallagher - I think it's a little too simplistic and I could do it more effectively
- I think the borders on Matthew E might be too dark
- I do have a new one for Candle in the hopper as well, but I want to give her the first look before posting it.

So... whew!

Up next - Back tomorrow as we start with again with the new ones (haven't picked a theme yet so it'll be a surprise to both of us.) smile

#105452 08/07/11 09:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
admittedly, our MB is far more superior to the Legion's MB! for a shameless plug, yeah! smile you did a great job on Nightcrawler's and Future King's! much better than the original ones. hug

#105453 08/08/11 01:32 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
OK, because I hadn't picked a theme for today, I decided to ask myself, WWMWD? (What Would Mort Weisinger Do?)

Since "Exploit Jim Shooter" wasn't really an option, I went with the next best thing, "Make up an L L". Today we've got a pair of 12th letter LMBers, with The Labradorian and Lone Wolf Legionnaire:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've only ever run across the Labradorian in TV show threads, but looking at his posts, it's clear he's a Canadian with a capital "CAN" (wait... what?) His logo here is the flag design for Newfoundland and Labrador, but rotated for a better symmetry (I apologize in advance if this does anything to threaten the uneasy truce between Legion World and Canada).

Lone Wolf Legionnaire is an old DCMB buddy of mine who also posts on LW. His logo here is simply the chest logo of Brin Londo from his first appearance as "Lone Wolf". We have another one coming down the line later that uses the Timber Wolf version.

Up next: Domo Arigato, Mr... Miss... and Ms. Roboto

#105454 08/09/11 08:32 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
It's time now to pay tribute to those LMB members who dream of electric sheep (as opposed to just regular sheep, like Cobalt Kid), the A.I.s amongst us - Giant Robotic Lesbian, Gigglebot Girl, and Professor H-0011 (profh0011).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GRL was easy, needing to capture the fact that she's... well... giant, robotic, and lesbian. I scaled the lesbian logo to the border to make it larger when compared to all the others, and made it riveted...for her pleasure. (OK...that was bad... just pretend I never said that.)

Gigglebot Girl, Faraway Lad's main squeeze, is not actually a robot, but a girl to whom a group of nanobots have permanently bonded, but close enough for me. The headshot here is actually the design of artist Scott Reed, from whom Faraway commisioned an LMB comic years ago. (Seriously cool ... Check it out )

And for Prof I made a forward facing version of the robot he uses for an avatar (the source for which, I'm afraid I don't know... it kind of reminds me of "Conky" from Pee Wee's Playhouse in that sort of boxy robot way, but that's not it.)

After I started writing this, I realized I totally forgot to do LMB member, Mechana. I'll pick her up in a later wave.

Next up: The LMB gets a touch of class (No... it's not a hoax... why would you ask such a thing? wink )

#105455 08/10/11 08:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I espedially love the look of the Labradorian flag can and the marionette feel of Gigglebot Girl!
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#105456 08/10/11 06:34 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks, Shady. BTW - I have your new one finished and I'll post it as bonus one during the next round.

But now it's time to class it up a bit, as we hit the town with two LMBers always dressed to the nines: Thriftshop Debutante and Zardi, the Eternal Man:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It is one of my bigger Legion World regrets that my posting paths don't cross those of Thriftshop Debutante more often... but we apparently post in different circles. That being said, I've always thought Teeds had the absolute best name on this board. Everytime I see it, it makes me think of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's - the mix of elegant and down to earth at the same time. I was going to go the whole route of including Holly Golightly's tiara, sunglasses, cigarette holder, and necklace in this one, but once I did the necklace I was like... nope... I got it.

For Zardi - straightforward - I used his hat and walking stick from his golden-age comics appearances. Simple, but quite nice, in a sort of Mandrake the Magician way.

Up next - We're now up to 98 of these, so that means the next round will cross the century mark. For quite a few waves now, I've been dipping below the Hot 100 mark, but to celebrate the milestone, next round will have no fewer than 5 posters - all from the top 100.

Who gets the coveted 100th symbol? We will find out by Friday... barring, of course, any major calamities. wink

#105457 08/11/11 01:47 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
oh absolutely LOVE that Teeds' symbol!

100th symbol? EDE's? hee hee...hope his power wont cause your Mission Monitor Board collapse! wink

#105458 08/11/11 02:49 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
As a teleporter, I am, of course, Traveling.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,025
Posts1,045,828
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
History-Lad, mwf6171, WolverineX
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Brainiac 5
Brainiac 5
the Detroit multi-lab
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star