Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
2.5 Karate Kid - Spoilers & Images
#610420 10/23/07 03:40 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
What follows are some preview images and synopsis for this coming Saturday's (10/27) new episode of the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon, entitled "Karate Kid". Images and synopsis provided by the WB.

If you don't want to be spoiled then you shouldn't be here. laugh

The "Legion of Super Heroes" expands its ranks again this Saturday, October 27 in an all-new episode entitled "The Karate Kid."

When the dreaded Legion Auditions produce just one potential new member ­ Nemesis Kid ­ Superman goes out recruiting, and finds an unlikely candidate to join the Legion. A perpetual underdog, Karate Kid has no super powers ­ which goes against Legion membership rules ­ but Superman believes he has the heart to join the Legion. As the Legion hunts down Grimbor the Chainsman, Karate Kid believes he can be an asset, while the others worry he is only putting himself in harm¹s way. Keith Ferguson ("Foster¹s Home For Imaginary Friends") voices both Karate Kid and Nemesis Kid. Eddie Guzelian wrote the episode, which was directed by Brandon Vietti and Scott Jeralds. "The Karate Kid" episode of "Legion of Super Heroes" airs Saturday, October 27 at 11:00 a.m. ET/PT as part of the Kids' WB! Lineup on The CW Network.

click to enlarge

Grimbor the Chainsman is the key villain in the October 27 "Legion of Super Heroes" episode, "The Karate Kid."

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

The title character of the October 27 "Legion of Super Heroes" episode, "The Karate Kid."

click to enlarge

Nemesis Kid is the lone survivor of auditions for the Legion of Super Heroes in the October 27 episode entitled "The Karate Kid."

Re: 2.5 Karate Kid - Spoilers & Images
#610421 10/23/07 08:55 PM
Substitute
Substitute
On Nemesis Kid being "the lone survivor" - the wording there is chilling, but I'm hoping they mean figuratively. (If not, well, then I guess there's your reason for hunting down Grimbor. Ghurr.)

Val's sandals are very cute and I want to own them please. He looks Asian! laugh

#610422 10/23/07 09:16 PM
Deputy
Deputy
How the heck did I miss this thread? I just put links to this same stuff on the "KK & Who else" thread.

I swear, when I look at Nemesis Kid's face, it screams of "Jimmy Olsen if he was a redneck".

And where the heck is Val's collar???? KarateKid

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#610423 10/24/07 09:14 AM
Honorary
Honorary
the scans are sweet! Karate Kid looks Asian! Nemesis Kid has shaggy hair! the third scan is perfect! nothing like a kick in the face to get you pumped for Saturday! (and Val's shoes are pretty cool, where can i get a pair??)

i have always. ALWAYS been interested in Nemesis Kid. not just for his powers. but for his character too. i always thought it might be cool to have him join with good intentions but eventually go bad due to a difference of opinion (like, he thinks it's ok to use lethal force) or he loses control of his powers and kills a fellow legionnaire...

i am really looking forward to this episode. KK is going to be great (possibly even the best around! nothing's gonna ever keep him down!) and they have not done wrong with characters so far *knocks on wood*.

and i don't think what we see so far is his final costume, doesn't he have a collar in the opening credits?

everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.
#610424 10/24/07 12:03 PM
Deputy
Deputy
To quote Lightning Lad: "Sweet!"

Funny they made KK so small in stature but I guess it's part of the "underdog" thing.

No snake sightings yet, huh?

#610425 10/24/07 01:42 PM
Deputy
Deputy
that pic of Grimbor kinda looks like the current incarnation of Bane from "The Batman"

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#610426 10/25/07 11:37 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Four more new images:

click to enlarge
Lightning Lad gets more than he bargaiined for in a battle with Grimbor the Chainsman during the October 27 episode of "Legion of Super Heroes" entitled "The Karate Kid."

click to enlarge
Lightning Lad, Superman, Timber Wolf and Cosmic Boy are caught by Grimbor the Chainsman in the October 27 "Legion of Super Heroes" episode, "The
Karate Kid."

click to enlarge
The title character of the October 27 "Legion of Super Heroes" episode, "The Karate Kid."

click to enlarge
New Legion recruit Nemesis Kid reveals his power during the October 27 episode of "Legion of Super Heroes" entitled "The Karate Kid."

#610427 10/26/07 09:39 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Karate Kid AND Nemesis Kid? Neat!

#610428 10/26/07 08:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
*sigh*

I know I should be... and AM... greatful that a LSH 'toon even exists at ALL, but... No lasses in the releases?

Ah, well... it's still awesome to see Grimbor, K-Kid and Nemesis Kid... it's amazing, really.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#610429 10/27/07 12:32 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
I liked it this morning, but yeah, no lasses in this episode? Those kids in the focus groups should be reminded of an arcade game called Gauntlet. I used to play with three friends of mine and one of us had to play as the Valkyrie (sp?). Didn't mind doing it, because the game was so cool. Same thing with the Storm and Dazzler characters in the original X-Men arcade game.

I really hope they're not basing the casting on a single focus group that thought girls are "icky."

Watching television is not an activity.
#610430 10/27/07 12:47 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Good episode, its just that I think they got KK's personality wrong. If I remember correctly the Pre-boot KK was a knuckle-head. This iteration of him was humble. Oh well it worked. I really like Cham now. He may be a Beast-boy rip off, but he is more mature, relatively speaking of course. I don't mnd his quips and one liners, and his personality stands out. Last gripe. Cosmic jerk. I believe in adherence to protocol, but hes being a jerk. Let's count the evidence:

1. Crappy apology to Timberwolf.

2. Speech about KK not being able to take care
of himself

3. Being harsh to Cham.

4. Giving KK laundry duty.

There are probably others, but I can't remember any more for the time being. I'm sure Cos won't fail to meet my expectations though. I'm beginning to lose more respect for him with each passing episode.

Jin Rai!!!
#610431 10/27/07 12:58 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Wow, the most suprising thing here was Nemisis Kid *not* being a traitor -- though I wouldn't rule it out for later. I was waiting for the revelation that NK and Grimbor were in cahoots, and was actually a little disappointed the only connection was Grimbor copycating NK's neutralizing powers. I guess it worked ok for the story but I was so looking forward to Karate Kid smacking NK, it came as a bit of a letdown to see him battling Grimbor instead.

I enjoyed the back-and-forth between Cham and Val, and Cham's cynicism made it easier to digest KK's over-the-counter philosophical ramblings. KK himself leaned too much towards the Zen postboot Kid than the original scrapper for my taste, but as long as he's teamed with a foil like Cham, I'm can live with it. His fight with Superman was nice homage to the old Shooter story and the outcome was more believable ("disqualified for leaving the ring"). His accent sounded more like Asian Indian to me than Japanese, though, and the laundry thing hit a sour note. I don't think the Legion would ever insult Superman by treating his hand-picked choice like a servant.

Rule-breaking Cham was also a good foil for Cosmic Boy, who as Dairaioh pointed out continues to be typecast as the inflexible and mostly unpleasant authority figure. (Eh, it serves him right for three years of gross over-exposure in the comic book). LL got the best line with "Talk to the hand" and had an all too brief but funny turn with *Calamity King* -- who shockingly was not blonde (someone should be fired for that!). Hopefully, Element Lad's three-second cameo portends a bigger role in the future. It was good to see Dream Girl again, but iirc not one speaking role in this episode for a girl. Why don't they just get it over with and put *all* the girls in a coma?

It's probably my least favorite episode of the stellar second season but it was still quite good.

#610432 10/27/07 12:59 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Sorry, double post.

#610433 10/27/07 01:03 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Re:
<span style="font-size: 12px;"> SPOILER WARNING </span>

The spoilers are about to get started.

Lash! We get a glimpse of Comet Queen in the early moments of the show!
How's that?

Calamity King sounds like Elvis.

Karate Kid's a midget! Either that or Kryptonians are freakishly tall..hhmmm...

Lightning Lad, "Talk to the hand" -snort-

Nemesis Kid's a jerk (big surprise, eh?) but he's cool to KK at the end.

Lurker Lass 'called it'..twice.

Grimbor works. I always thought he was a pretty lame villain in the comics but he's dangerous in the cartoon.
Cool.

Nemesis Kid "Neutralizes Super Powers" and he's a cop. It looks like he and Cos get along nicely. Oh yeah, Cos is being a pompous jerk, "This isn't the Legion of Guys Who Try Really Hard."

We get a good look at Element Lad though he doesn't get any dialogue, same with Dream Girl and Tyroc.

I was really prepared to hate Nemesis Kid and he's written just so I got what I wanted right up to the last of the show. Cham almost dies from jealousy when NK is the golden boy of the moment but in turn he helps save the day later by following Val's advice and then NK sort of apologizes to KK for being such a seventh planet. I grew up reading these comics and him being an evil, treasonous, back biting snake and wasn't expecting a gesture of comeraderie toward Val. Very nice touch.

I hope the kids like this 'cause I love it.

I didn't get everything I wanted out of this episode but I still got a heck of a lot more than I expected.

This was fun.

#610434 10/27/07 01:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah- I like the fact that we're left not knowing quite to think about Nemesis Kid. Notice that we didn't hear his whole oath, unlike Karate Kid? That makes me think that a traitor storyline (he's probably in cahoots with Imperiax) is coming. But, who knows? That's why we watch.

I liked KKid's into. To me, it actually makes more sense than his initial tryout in the comics. I appreciated his will and spirit, like Superman. I'm not crazy about *one* Legionnaire inducting a member, however. (Shades of Monstress...)

Sigh. More Cosmic Jerk. Producers, writers, *please* inject a bit of reboot Cos-- or 'classic' Cos and *don't* characterize him solely from the current iteration.

At this rate, kids'll think of him as a villain soon.

Best shot of Element Lad we've seen yet, I think. Here's hoping that he, Dream Girl, Blok, Tyroc and Sun Boy will get their chance to emerge from the Silent Brigade before long.

I enjoyed Cham, but he's beginning to hog the spotlight, when tons of other characters need some screen-time (see the Silent Brigade).

The inferred sexism (I'm lumping the Happy Meal toys in here) is counter to everything the LSH stands for. I hope this episode is an isolated instance (Girl's Night Out- for balance?). If not, the producers, writers and DC should be ashamed.

I hope focus groups haven't dictated this as a new direction. Saturn Girl's coma suddenly looms as way more important than I initially thought. Just consider her role in the first decade of the team's adventures. Compare and contrast with her animated characterization. Sad.

I hate focus groups and the way money-men use them to quash creativity.

#610435 10/27/07 01:26 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yay! Calamity King was so awesome!

Er... and I think some other stuff happened in the episode, too...

#610436 10/27/07 02:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
hey did anyone else notice Wildfire's insignia during KK's induction oath?

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#610437 10/27/07 02:47 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
"Lacking-A-Grip-On-Reality Lad"!!!!!

rotflmao

That's a keeper! laugh

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#610438 10/27/07 02:57 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Still waitin' on a revolt of the girl legionnaires. Calamatiy kind was a treat, though. Awesome.

Considering that the post-boot Karate Kids were much more zen than the pre-boot, I don't mind the characterization so much. (Actually, might make more sense, even if it is coupled a dime-bag of philosophical liners.) Playing him off Cham kept it from being too annoying.

Speaking of, I'm actually liking this younger, slightly inept Cham. I mean, it's not like the version we're used to in the comics, but he seems much less one-dimensional than Beast Boy was. Shape-shifters do have the ability to be a ridiculously versatile. (I guess that's why most DC shifters have some sort of limitation? Like BB is only animals, Plastic Man is plastic, colours don't usually change...)

I kinda wish Nemesis Kid had his 'develop powers to combat any opponent' instead of just neutralizing, even if it is potentially overkill. (Me? Hypocrisy? Perish the thought...) Like this, he'd be useless against people without powers as well, wouldn't he? And he doesn't even have a bondage fetish to help in combat. I do like the potential set-up for a future 'traitor in the Legion' storyline.

Superman's decision to recruit at a down-and-dirty tournament brawl is a bit questionable - I mean, I'm sure these guys are tough as nails, but I doubt that half the fighters there were Legion material.

By the way, did Grimbor... like, die at the end or something? There were explosions and I didn't see anyone take him into custody...

#610439 10/27/07 03:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN:
hey did anyone else notice Wildfire's insignia during KK's induction oath?
*I DID!!* (though I think it was when they were talking about the team beimg stretched thin fighting Imperiex) It's so mean to tease ... I guess that means we won't get a big origin/induction episode though frown

Nice touch with the whole "let's task the useless asian kid to laundry duty" thing :rolleyes:

And if Karate Kid appears again still sounding like a fortune cookie, I'm gonna have to hate him (It was almost as bad as DnA's "Think fast" motto with Brin)

#610440 10/27/07 04:14 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
When I saw Calamity King, I thought "Eryk is going to be soooo happy."

I was able to make excuses for Cosmic Boy before this episode. I really don't like him being that big of a jerk. It is one thing to reject a candidate for not having powers. It is another to rub it in their face.

When they announced Nemesis Kid's power as negating super-powers, I thought "Good thing they'll have non-powered Karate Kid on hand." I was expecting him to turn traitor this episode and it was a pleasant surprize when he didn't. We all know that he will eventually. I hope they use NK in several episodes as a good guy before he reveals his true colors.

I wish Cham had escaped from Grimbor's chains by turning into something small. Maybe even a throw away line referencing Shrinking Violet. The double jointed bit seem stupid.

And they have a big recruitment drive and only get one new member? (KK wasn't part of the recruitment drive) You think they would have picked 3-4 new members seeing as they were stretched thin.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#610441 10/27/07 04:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I recorded it... just watched... must respond before reading other comments...

Hipster Calamity King-- complete with nelly green cap-- TOTALLY RULED! The LSH31C comic listed him as a member, so I'll wager he pops up again. An unexpected highlight of this episode!

Nemesis Kid-- totally cute! Anyone else think after he said, "Nice toy" to Grimbor that he was going to be revealed as a traitor, in cahoots with big G? Didn't happen though... YET.

Cosmic Boy-- continues his trend of being an insufferable ass. The writers are definitely drawing upon his Grell and WaK-era appearances.

Karate Kid-- He's way kewl. I'm digging him.

The lack of lasses-- So, the bratlings have finally done away with speaking roles for the girls alltogether. Nice way to get them reduced to cameos only, brats. Stupid pre-tweens. Makes me giddy to think that in, like, 8 years they'll be BEGGING girls to go out with them... the ones that aren't homos, anyway. BAH!!!

I'm making it my personal cause to get the femme roles in the Tooniverse upped big-time. First order of business: We need a heavy-hitting femme on the team, STAT. I'm calling for Andromeda ("Valor-Girl" costume only!) or Dawnstar. Still, these 2 attractive powerful ladies might threaten the bratlings. How about Monstress? She might be perfect. I dunno yet. But this MUST change! Perhaps a "girls night out" episode is in order?

Now must read other comments!!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#610442 10/27/07 04:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I HATE that Cos keeps being portrayed as a jerk. Nice episode otherwise. And yes, I miss the girls, too.

#610443 10/27/07 04:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oops! I read all the comments before I made mine! Oh well. A lot of my thoughts have been mentioned already by others.

I don't mind when they repeat little personality traits like Vi's snort or KK's "obstacles bring solutions" thing. I didn't mind "think fast" in the books, either. I was impressed by how each of the characters have such distinct personalities. At firt I thought "Cosmic Jerk" but I have to admit that I like it. I like that he's maintaining standards and keeping ideals. Yeah, kinda curt about it, but effective. I mean, the early Legion was fond of the word "REJECTED!"

I'm bothered by the lack of girls, too. Dream Girl has never been more than background decoration and I'm way past ready for her spotlight story. I hate that Imra's in a coma all this time! :teardrop:

Still, the 10 year old fanboy inside of me was thrilled by this episode. Great action, great characterization. The 41 year old me approves!

#610444 10/27/07 04:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Malvolio:

I really hope they're not basing the casting on a single focus group that thought girls are "icky."
I'm afraid this IS what is happening, which totally enrages me! How can we let them know that adults are watching, too?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,253
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania