Roll Call
0 members (), 32 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 41 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 40 41
Re: Critic's Corner (post here about any fanart or fanfic)
#101424 07/12/12 09:38 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
A question/query for Abin: Wasn't My Whee Fem still cack-sized last time we saw her, or was that finally undone off- or on-camera?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#101425 07/13/12 05:28 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
She was but Since Cobie wrote her back to normal in Oval we decided she recovered off camera. It's another of those "untold tales of the LMBP" that need to be told.

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#101426 07/13/12 08:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm trying to decide what to do for my next project, and would like some data. It might involve parodying or traveling to places in British literature.

What Hogwarts House do you think your characters would be sorted in?

Emily Sivana- Ravenclaw for the same reason Ron was in Gryffindor and Draco was in Slytherin; family tradition overrides individual interest.
Sebastian Sage- Slytherin because he simply has too much ambition to be a Hufflepuff. I guess he would be a good Slytherin because after he becomes rich he's still unhappy and restless and doesn't understand why, which is ultimately why he joined the LMB.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#101427 07/14/12 07:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Ex, I just LOVE how all of this is tying in to Yellow Kid's PCG mythos. I always found what history I knew of the PCG facinating, and no one else living seems to understand it as well as you do. I think Art would be proud to see you were exploring...and expanding...his rich universe! I tried to pay some small homage to Art's characters in "The Covenant" and "The Lord of the Oval", but I believe there's no one who can honor that part of his legacy like you can.

In some ways this feels like the sort of coda story to the PCG you had discussed with some of us a while ago. But if you ever feel like doing more with those characters in the future, "color" me in support of it!

Bravo, Ex! hug

#101428 07/15/12 06:40 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks so much, Lardy. Art was really blessed with not only amazing imagination, but also a very evident love for his characters. If I was able to convey just a little bit of that in that last chapter, it was only by standing on the shoulders of a giant, albeit a Gay Green Giant.

On a more general note, I do want to say what an amazing time it is right now to be a part of the Legion World creative community!

Every day I hop on, there are just so many great things happening in Bits. I really feel like this may be one of the most exciting and prolific periods for fiction on Legion World... ever!

From Omni's Post Zero work, to Emily's Charltonburg stories, to the 21st Century Legion Saga (which, if I'm not mistaken has been going on for nine years!) to the works of razsolo (which - to be totally frank - is probably the best Legion fan fiction I've ever read. Seriously, Raz... you are an amazing writer!)

And then there's the Lord of the Oval. What you guys have accomplished with this collaboration is nothing short of mind-blowing. I really kick myself for not having gotten in on the ground floor on that one.

I always get a kick out of how it's labeled as a "Novella", though. A general guide for a novella - at least the standard used by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America - is 17,500 to 40,000 words. Just for S&G I ran a word count on LotO... over 332,000 words! Novella? You guys are writing an Encyclopedia Set! smile

But seriously, I am so glad I'm a part of such a wonderfully talented group of people. I can't wait to see what's up next!

#101429 07/15/12 09:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Only 332,000?!?!?!

Guys, we better step it up a notch!

Ex, I totally agree that this is one hell of a good time for Bits. So much fun to come on in and see who posted what on any given day.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#101430 07/15/12 06:19 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, ditto about this being a great time for Bits. I was thinking that myself, lately. Now, I'm on record as being way more interested in reading stories set in the shared LMBverse than I am for reading fanfic based on DC, Marvel, Legion, etc. I'm just so invested in the LMB characters that I love to see it deepened and enriched. Plus, it feels like those stories "matter", if you understand what I mean.

HOWEVER...hearing all this enthusiasm for the fanfic is infectious, and I may just break with policy on the matter when I have some time. Everyone should write what they're passionate about, and if the love is there, I'm sure it will be worth reading.

As for the "Novella", well, when Cobie, Dev and I envisioned it, perhaps we were thinking it might be shorter? Honestly, we never anticipated the level of participation, commitment and passion all the various posters contributing to this story would bring! The last time we did something like this (with "Omnia"), we started with lots of participants but really only ended up with just myself, Cobie and Rocky about halfway through (though we still ended up with, IIRC, 18 or 19 pages there). In the home stretch of "Oval", we have 5 super-active contributors and several others who still pop in when they have time. It's been the greatest collaborative effort I've ever been a part of and just leaves me hungry to do more and more of it in the future!

So...should we rename it "LMB Novel...", guys? How many pages in, say, a paperback would 332,000 words make? hmmm

Aso, Ex....it's STILL not too late to contribute something to "Oval", damnit! I'd love to see you write some scenes with your character to fit in somehow in Weber's World or something. We'd love to have ya!!!

#101431 07/15/12 06:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A quick check of the web led me to these word counts of some well known books:

Fahrenheit 451 46,118
Crime and Punishment 211,591
Lonesome Dove 365,712
The Stand 464,218
War and Peace 587,287

#101432 07/15/12 06:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
^That word count has GOT to be wrong on C&P!

#101433 07/15/12 07:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's around that on several sites. That exact count or really close. shrug

#101434 07/15/12 08:08 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Aso, Ex....it's STILL not too late to contribute something to "Oval", damnit! I'd love to see you write some scenes with your character to fit in somehow in Weber's World or something. We'd love to have ya!!!
I have a line in my "1 hour before" post establishing Ex on Weber's World, and I have a short scene in mind mentioning him later after the battle wink So yeah, we'd love to have ya jump right in!

This SO is a novel, and as Ex says it's a really great time to be on Bits laugh

Originally posted by Emily Sivana:

What Hogwarts House do you think your characters would be sorted in?

I wonder if IB's different selves could be sorted into different Houses. He has a lot of facets.

Overall though, I'd still say Gryffindor.

#101435 07/15/12 08:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Man! I thought C&P was one of the longer classics out there--guess I was wrong! Well, fuck! We're longer than "Crime and Punishment"! ElasticLad

#101436 07/15/12 08:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
...but are we going to rival Lord of the Rings for epilogs?

#101437 07/15/12 08:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Well, Rocky, Des and I wrote, I think, EIGHTEEN EPIS(!) for "Omnia", so I've a feeling we'll shatter that record and make RotK's look concise by comparison! lol

#101438 07/16/12 02:49 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally posted by Exnihil:
From Omni's Post Zero work, to Emily's Charltonburg stories, to the 21st Century Legion Saga (which, if I'm not mistaken has been going on for nine years!) to the works of razsolo (which - to be totally frank - is probably the best Legion fan fiction I've ever read. Seriously, Raz... you are an amazing writer!)
Wow, thanks Ex! I am well chuffed! laugh

It is awesome to see so much stuff being posted in here...I am kind of the opposite of what Lard Lad said in that I am really more interested in fanfic based on existing Marvel/DC characters because I already know the characters, but it's really cool to see that there is stuff being updated all the time whenever I am in here regardless smile

#101439 07/16/12 04:52 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Hey Em, I've got a long term story for the Khanate on (my creation) so I'd just ask you don't get too detailed with it. I've established an immense amount of detail on it over several stories and need to have it where I need it for my plan. 

Really curious about your Harry Potter story! 

Ex, I echo Lardy's comment on your wonderful (continued) tribute to the PCG. Like everyone else I'm LOVING The Long Klorndy.

I agree with two statements too: first, this is one of the most creative times ever in LW / Bits history! And second, LotO is the most exciting, rewarding and best thing we've ever done in LMB history! Lardy and I message each other like every two weeks (for the last year) saying that. The LMB feels more exciting right now to me than it ever has.

Post LotO, I can't wait for what's next. We all have big plans, some individual and some we're all brainstorming (incl two that Ex has!). I also want us to do another role play.

Ps - over on 21CL, we're wrapping up a MAJOR story too! And it's where you can find Reboot's writing which is fantastic--he writes the best Spark and the best Luornu EVER. 

Pps - there are a bunch of stories I haven't read (as I lean more towards Lardy's tastes ) but eventually I hope to check them out.

#101440 07/16/12 04:59 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Ps - over on 21CL, we're wrapping up a MAJOR story too! And it's where you can find Reboot's writing which is fantastic--he writes the best Spark and the best Luornu EVER. 
And the best Gear, Surge and Dani Moonstar (both from X-Men), Shikari and Gates!

I also want us to do another role play.

Maybe the LW Establishments Directory I made will help with that. I've been trying to compile all the threads which represent a shop or establishment or someone's room/home.

#101441 07/16/12 05:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
[QB] Hey Em, I've got a long term story for the Khanate on (my creation) so I'd just ask you don't get too detailed with it. I've established an immense amount of detail on it over several stories and need to have it where I need it for my plan.
I have no plans to write about them. I meant that if others wanted to write about them, I am currently researching the real Mongols for college. I'm reading books that have information about their laws, religion, and such that could help someone writing about a planetary empire based on them (if it actually is based on them). I'm not a very creative person, so most of the places I create are based on real countries/cultures.

Really curious about your Harry Potter story!
Yes, keep your eyes open because it may pop-up in the 'Raltvee' thread. By the way, Invisible Brainiac, the thread is in this section and feel free to post.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#101442 07/16/12 09:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ex,

Art would love what you are doing for the PCG.

Just as we all do.

#101443 07/16/12 10:00 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks for the headsup Emily, posted!

And I believe creativity isn't all about creating something new - it can be taking something existing and putting a different spin on it.

#101444 07/17/12 08:03 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Regarding the epilogues for LotO. I'm thinking we should do it just like LotR: no epilogues, per se, until the very end.

Instead, several chapters that showcase the entire journey home, from the Dark Realm, through the Oval, to Weber's World and eventually Legion World. There won't be any Scouring of the Shire piece, but each step of the way can show more and more members of the large group splitting off to go home.

We can talk more about it in our secret editorial discussions!

#101445 07/17/12 10:21 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
^ I'm all for that. It'd be great to show the whole ENORMOUS group all together for a bit, and allow them to bask in the victory for a while.

#101446 07/17/12 06:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah. That will be interesting.

#101447 07/18/12 12:26 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
YEP!

#101448 07/23/12 12:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The Harry Potter parody is currently in the brain-storming phase. I appreciate everyone's help and cooperation so far. However, there is three issues that I would like opinions on before I start writing:

1. Age
The characters in Harry Potter are usually sorted at age 11 and mostly interact with kids a little younger or a little older than them. I was thinking of having the characters be different years, but if you think it would be easier for us to all be the same year that would be fine.

2. Culture and Nationality
The Harry Potter series takes place in Great Britain. I believe I have a good knowledge of Great Britain's geography and history, but won't pretend to be an expert in culture. I won't attempt to write their accents. However, if a person from Great Britain would like to help please let me know. If anyone here does not want their character to be from the British Isles, please let me know.

3. Magical Racism
Should I include the blood statuses and the way people feel about them in this parody? I know it is a delicate subject, but it is very important in the books.

Page 34 of 41 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Neemers
Neemers
Oregon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star