Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
Re: Any recommendations
#481123 12/21/08 11:17 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
FC, I think 'raw' is the perfect way to describe Armed Forces. I'll admit that if I hadn't have been in the mood for something weird and controversial I might have ended up hating it. Right now, since I've been in that mood, I definitely found it interesting, and ended up going back and picking up the first issue.

And jeez, now not only will I have to owe you and Blockade Boy more than the cover price for Four Eyes, I might get beat up too! laugh

#481124 12/29/08 08:44 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Cobester, have you tried Invincible yet? I was thinking about you as I read the latest batch of Invincible trades my wife got me for Christmas (YAY, wife!). Why? Because I know how much of a Spidey fan you are! Invincible has everything that you loved so much from the classic Stan Lee/Ditko/Romita years--subplots, romance, great villains, epic stories--without ever seem derivative or plagiaristic of it. It's the kind of title Spidey might have been if it were created this decade instead of in the sixties. Even Ultimate Spider-man seems a tired, slow also-ran next to what our boy Kirkman is doing with this series! It's as fresh as Spidey used to be!

Try it...alla ya!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#481125 12/30/08 12:22 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
CJ did me a big favor when I was leaving San Diego that day and gave me the first trade of Invincible to take home. I thought: not bad! But it wasn't enough to 'wow' me yet...however, that still being said, I've heard from a few sources (like Vee), that the series definitely gets much better as it goes on. Is that a fair assessment, Lardy?

I was considering picking up the latest issue because it crosses over with Astounding Wolfman--which is a series I gave one issue a chance but didn't follow up on. I was considering getting these two Kirkman books for this mini-crossover, and seeing if I stick with Invincible. I also see there's this major issue to come with like every Image hero ever in Invincible, which seems like a lot of fun. Invincible is actually the type of comic where I wouldn't mind coming in in the 40's or 50's, so long as I catch a decent jumping on point.

I know you're a big fan of Spidey too so the endorsement helps. And I generally like the 'spirit' of what Kirman is trying to do at Image.

Maybe its time I really gave Invincible a go?

PS - cool gift from the wife!

#481126 12/30/08 12:32 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
PPS - I assume you saw the thread about 'Four Eyes' and immediately made plans to read it, become hooked and thank me!

(I accept thanks in the form of such posts of yours as the one about Scalped laugh )

#481127 12/30/08 12:43 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I've been getting Invincible since checking out the fifty cent #0 issue they did back around #23... I snapped up whatever back issues I could and have been ordering it regularly ever since. I know Vee's a big fan as well. Every time the series seems to hit a lull, Kirkman manages to pull it around before too long. Lotsa cool bits lately-- I's trip to the future, Oliver's alien attitude, Mark and Eve's blossoming relationship, Omniman's big reveal about the secret of the Viltrumites... and yes, I'm looking forward to the upcoming pan-Imageverse issue. nod

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#481128 12/30/08 12:46 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
That's more than a fair assessment, Des! Earlier this year, I bought the Vol. 1 Ultimate Collection Hardcover which collected issues 1-13 (combining the first three trades). The issues that comprised what you've read were pretty ordinary. In fact as I read those early chapters, I was wondering what the big deal was.

Then, I got to issue #7. OMG! That issue changes everything and turns everything on its ear!

Des, do NOT read Invincible out of order! It would be a sin! Not only would it probably spoil all the great twists this series offers, but you would be missing out on the juicy slow-build subplots that are touched upon from issue to issue. I remember loving those subplots in Spidey, and Kirkman really has mastered the art form.

Obviously, Invincible's a much different character from Spidey in many ways, but it's definitely kin to the same vibe. One huge difference, though, is that Invincible does have its moments of ultra-violence. But be assured that those moments are well-chosen and always have huge impact.

#481129 12/30/08 12:49 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, jeepers! You just might have saved me some serious spoilers Lardy! Because I was about to forego all trades and just get the latest issue. So I take it the second trade is a MUST READ? That's good news! Like I said, the first trade didn't 'wow' me, so maybe that's what I need.

#481130 12/30/08 12:59 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Actually, if you decide to get the second trade, you should buy the third with it--REALLY! The big twist happens in the second trade but PAYS OFF in the third trade! Seriously, you'll HATE yourself (again, if it's not already too late laugh ) if you don't immediately have the third there waiting next to it to plow right into!

Seriously, the major events of those two trades are some of the best moments ever to appear in comics! nod

#481131 12/30/08 01:02 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Yeah, the second trade is THE volume to get, Des. The first six issues are supposed to be almost mundane, as a set-up for the HUGE shocks to come. Consider Vol.1 all build-up, with the payoff in the second TPB.

I wish I'd been reading it as it came out, as the #0 issue DID spoil the surprise for me. sigh But it also got me into the series in the first place, so I really shouldn't complain I guess. smile

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#481132 12/30/08 01:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
PPS - I assume you saw the thread about 'Four Eyes' and immediately made plans to read it, become hooked and thank me!

(I accept thanks in the form of such posts of yours as the one about Scalped laugh )
Link to said endorsement?

#481133 12/30/08 01:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

#481134 12/30/08 01:09 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hmmm...guess that depends on what you think of Scalped, huh? Read it, yet?

#481135 01/05/09 11:02 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Incognito - Just picked up #1 by Brubaker and Phillips while they take a mini-break from Criminal. As you'd expect, it's "Melt your face right off" awesome thus far, and I expect it to be only more so. Highest reccomendation possible.

The two-page article on the Shadow in the back was great. No less than two months ago I spent a day researching the history of the Shadow and this was a surprise pleasure to read, complete with some great insight on one of comic book's most important influences.

#481136 01/18/09 04:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Marvel Noir series: so far, I've read X-Men Noir 1 & 2 and Spiderman Noir 1. They're good, I like that genre; not too tied to the original, just taking the concept of mutants against society and a guy who can shoot spider-webs into a noir detective setting. All very gritty.

X-Men: mutant criminal youths (surely misunderstood) trained/helped by headshrinker Xavier (now in prison) fight corrupt police led by Detective Magnus.

Spiderman: Aunt May is a political activist in the Great Depression, Peter her nephew and helper. Uncle Ben has been visciously tortured and murdered by the local crime lord. Terrific cliffhanger at the end of #1. It's not yet revealed how Peter becomes Spiderman.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#481137 06/02/09 03:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Unknown by Mark Waid/Boom Studios. I really enjoyed this first of four issues! Cat Allingham is an exceptional detective who has a brain tumor and six months to live. She continues to work and starts investigating the theft of a machine which <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> is designed to measure the soul</span></span>. That's a spoiler because it's the last page's reveal. She has naturally become very interested in life after death.

The subject matter is captivating, Cat is likeable (even if her boobs are hanging out of tight shirts) and already I'm wondering if the final issue will have her dying and finding out the answer, somehow surviving, or just dying and leaving us guessing.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#481138 06/02/09 03:45 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
You had me at "boobs are hanging out of tight shirts" ... drool

wink

Seriously, though... I'll have to check Boom!'s website. Sounds interesting.

#481139 06/18/09 05:44 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
You don't have to be a Marvel fan to enjoy the Young Allies 70th Anniversary Special. The great Roger Stern has done it again, writing a thrilling, funny, and lump-in-the-throat-moving story about Bucky and his fellow teenage WWII freedom fighters, following them from the Golden Age to the present.

Makes me wish Stern was writing Captain America instead of Brubaker (sorry, Bru fans, but despite flashes of brilliance, I never quite warmed to his Cap stories, and dropped the book.) Makes me wish Stern was writing the upcoming Steve Epting-drawn Golden Age extravaganza The Marvels Project instead of Brubaker (if you haven't read Stern/Epting's Invaders story from the late 90s, shame on you. The back issues of Marvel Universe are cheap and easy to find.) And it almost makes me wish Stern was taking over JSA instead of Willingham, except that I've always felt Stern and DC were never a comfortable fit, while Stern and Marvel have always fit together like a hand in glove.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#481140 06/23/09 08:46 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I enjoyed "The Unwritten" (Vertigo) so much that I felt it was my duty to inform more readers of its existence. Here is my review of #1 :

Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
So I picked up the Unwritten #1 and #2. I&#146;ve just read #1, and it was so good, that I had to post something before I could even open #2. By the way, #1 is only $1.00. Get it while its hot folks. One of the best comics of the year and for one of the best deals.

Its beyond intriguing the mystery pulled me right in hook, line and sinker.

The narrative structure is also very dynamic and compelling. Like FC said on the previous page, Carey uses various things, such as newscasts, message boards, post-its, etc, each one important to the overall theme of the series. I&#146;d guess the art is the same with various Mis En Scene playing a role (I&#146;ll need to reread).

Carey also does a wonderful and underplayed job of showing how obsession with celebrity takes the spotlight in some many peoples minds while such horrible tragedies are happening around the world that so many people simply just don&#146;t care about. But I think he&#146;s adding in another layer of subtext&#133;that perhaps it&#146;s the constant goal of people to find a &#145;Messiah&#146; in so many different ways. Too early to tell but something I&#146;ll keep an eye out for.

Anyone who is a fan of the Harry Potter books should do themselves a favor and check this out. Its really fascinating to see the analogues.

Probably the most interesting premise for a series since Fables #1. And I still have the second issue to read.

#481141 06/27/09 02:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Detective Comics #854, the first issue of the new Batwoman story by Greg Rucka and JH Williams III is *fantastic*!

There are just no words to describe how good the art is but Rucka tells an interesting and engaging story too and in one panel (on page 4 - you'll know it when you see it) does more to make me a fan of a character than most writers are able to over their entire careers.

This book has HIT written all over it so get a copy quick before they're all gone!

#481142 06/27/09 03:49 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I am SO looking forward to this in my next subscription shipment(Monday!)... BouncingBoy

#481143 07/06/09 11:43 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Wow, the high praise of 'Tec almost takes away some of the sting of knowing Winnick is taking over Batman! (Note I said 'some' laugh )

#481144 07/07/09 05:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^

Good news - Winick is off Batman after only 6 issues!

Bad news - Tony Daniel is writing the following 6 issues!

Worse news - Winick might be coming back after that! frown

#481145 07/28/09 07:07 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
OK, I went to CBS on Saturday and had to pick up 6 weeks of comics--basically all the DC's, all the Marvels, half the Vertigos and many independents. So I've decided as I blow through tihs huge pile I'm going to try to review each one over the next few weeks. I'll use thread for any 'stragglers'. Such as:

Fantastic Force - I know I'm really late to the party on this one but I picked up #1 some time ago and finally got around to reading it. I'm curious if anyone else is (Reboot? Actor Lad?). It spins out of Millar & Hitch's FF run with some new characters they introduced, and the set-up actually gives it a pretty cool premise--they exist on "Nu Earth", a man-made planet very close to our own Earth, now popularted with several billion people from the far-future in a time where Earth is essentially dead. Thus they are the "last super-team". The moniker, some may recall, was used once in the early 90's. Don't let that get you down (because I remember that era well and FF fans certainly had reason to be down during that time).

All in all, the story was actually pretty good! The set-up was original, as I said, but the first issue serves to further explore what this world can offer. The links to the far-future are not cut off, which is welcome, so there is potential for stories from there too. And the characters are all new and interesting, and I appreciate Marvel's willingness to introduce and use such characters these days.

I have no idea how this is selling but I can just tell from the current market its probably not so good. I wonder if anyone else read this?

#481146 07/28/09 09:14 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Fantastic Force was solicited as an ongoing, cut to a five-issue mini before #1 came out, and is now (I believe) a FOUR-issue mini. That should tell you something about how it's selling.

And you're actually the first person I've seen with a good word to say about it.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#481147 07/28/09 01:51 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I also read the bad reviews but was surprised by them. There's nothing in there that is bad at all. I think people just hate (A) Future Wolverine, (B) descendant of the Hulk or (C) the fact that it spins out of Millar & Hitch's run. All reasons why not to buy something I guess but having already bought it and wanting to give it a fair shake, I did think it was actually pretty good (not GREAT, but good).

But from what you say, I doubt there will be a follow-up mini given its already rough history laugh

Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Luck Lad
Luck Lad
Vancouver, BC
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star