Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Personalities of Legionnaires (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Personalities of Legionnaires
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Dirk. Wasn't he one of the Dungeons & Dragons hologram game players, too?

Yup, he and Star Boy played.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Quick notes....

Dirk. He was was shown to have a sculpture collection. Also, he's known as one of the Legion's best spacecraft pilots - that's what lead to his space fatigue. Wasn't he one of the Dungeons & Dragons hologram game players, too?

The space fatigue came on because he was leading the mission. I am not sure he was considered the best spacecraft pilots though. He ended up piloting the ship because he put everyone else in the brig.

Now in the story that introduced Dawnstar, it was stated that Lightning Lad was considered the Legion's best navigator.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
UNIVERSO

Universo wants power and control. His power/method is to use hypnotism to gain control and power over others. He has a minor motivation of revenge in that he wants revenge for being kicked out of the Green Lantern Corp. This revenge would be the side product of achieving his main goal of total control. He has been betrayed by his son, Rond Vidar, several times. However, he does not seem to be bothered by that nor feel any personal animosity towards Rond. Universo feels superior to pretty much everybody. While he may see a few as being his intellectual equal, he would not admit it.

Was Universo's wife ever shown? (Or if not wife, the mother of Rond Vidar?)
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know. She might have been in the story about him being a disgraced Green Lantern. Idon't remember reading that particular story (even though I know about it)

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anyone have a good personality and family assessment of Ferro Lad they would like to offer? I saw him as sort of a daredevil type but I'd like to get a better look at the teen behind the mask....

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

FERRO LAD

The Adventure era Ferro Lad was definitely someone who had great self-assurance. I don't know if we have enough to say he was a daredevil. He had no real sense of self-pity over his disfigured face. I think he felt a mutual loss when others threw up a wall because of his face. His sacrifice was not a death wish nor a need to be the hero. He simply felt that he had the best chance of survival against the Sun Eater and the job needed to be done.

The Reboot Ferro Lad was much more shy and self-conscious. He also had a "puppy dog wanting to please" attitude.

Regarding his family. In the Adventure era, his brother Douglas felt a sense of loyalty and pride in his brother.

In the reboot, I don't remember much about Douglas. I think Douglas was the more self-assured of the two. Their mother and father in the reboot felt shame over their facial disfigurement and rejected the boys.

--------------------

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Quislet, my understanding is that Ferro Lad's disfigurement was the result of a mutation. Do we have any information on what kind of mutation? What caused it? Accidental exposure to something another? Someone experimented on Andrew and Douglas? Something else?

I got the daredevil feel because in the first Adventure Comics or two where he appeared, he dived off the flying platform, kind of a all or nothing sort of approach,, time to earn his place in the Legion. At least that's why I went with that idea. So little was written with him in the Adventure era. Superboy starring the Legion of Super-Heroes issue #206 (The Legionnaires Who Haunted Superboy) (one of my favorites and second issue ever), gave me the feeling of confidence without arrogance. Seemed like the type of guy you would want for a friend. When he died battling the sun eater, I also saw it as a "Do what you have to do to get the job done" as opposed to "trying" to be the hero.

Also, do we know if Ferro Lad had any particular skills/special knowledge or hobbies/interests? I'm currently doing his character sheet for my game and am at a loss of information on one of my favorite Legionnaires. I confess....it was the costume that drew me as well as the awesome way Mike Grell drew him in in issue #206.

[ September 08, 2008, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Phantom Girl ]

--------------------

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

PG, as far as I recall the disfigurement/mutation was something Andrew & Douyglas were born with. That's it. Nothing about if some outside force affected them while in utero. (Unlike Star Boy, who's grayity powers were said to come because his parents were affected while doing astronomic experiments/study in space.)

I agree with you about the confidence without arrogance. I can't distinctly remember his debut, so I trust your daredevil assessment.

--------------------

Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Ferro, in the Reboot, anyway, was also about as bright as a bag of hammers.

Phantom Girl: He was also a pretty decent tailor; he liked designing costumes for the other Legionnaires.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
Ferro, in the Reboot, anyway, was also about as bright as a bag of hammers.

Phantom Girl: He was also a pretty decent tailor; he liked designing costumes for the other Legionnaires.

Interesting. Can you give me any particular examples? So he wasn't very bright and he liked to tailor...that seems so UnLegionnaire like....

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

He did do the tailoring thing.

I think the "not bright" was more about his shyness and lack of self-esteem. Also if I remember correctly, Reboot Ferro had also been kept apart from others for a period of time and so had a little lack of knowing how to socialize. So he would keep his mouth shut when he probably should have spoken up.

--------------------

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
He did do the tailoring thing.

I think the "not bright" was more about his shyness and lack of self-esteem. Also if I remember correctly, Reboot Ferro had also been kept apart from others for a period of time and so had a little lack of knowing how to socialize. So he would keep his mouth shut when he probably should have spoken up.

Its easy to picture the lack of socialization skills and being seperated from others when he was younger, the tailoring thing will require me to change my pre-boot image a bit. Its just that he looks so cool. Guess I'll add "Tailoring" to my list of hobbies and talents for the game.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

It was when the Legionnaires were trapped in the 20th century. Reboot Ferro Lad designed made them new costumes. (He could have been on Project Runway) There was a scene about Inferno feeling awkward accepting the new costume. Which reminds me. Reboot Ferro Lad (and his brother) were born in the present day and traveled with the Legion to the future.

Adventure era (pre-boot) Ferro Lad was not shown to have any tailoring hobby or skill.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
An interesting take on Ferro Lad appeared in LSH v. 4 # 5. This is the TMK issue set in the "Mordruverse," in which Mordru has temporarily taken over all of reality.

Andrew Nolan (he's never called Ferro Lad since the Legion didn't exist in this reality) is shown as an adult and co-conspirator with Rond Vidar and Mysa against Mordru. Andrew is still disfigured--he wears a cloth or leather version of his Ferro Lad mask--but mentions that he has a wife and family. He is also a reluctant hero who distrusts Rond Vidar's magic but is allied with him because he sees no other alternative. He also appears to be devoutly Catholic.

He is not portrayed as a daredevil; rather, he does what needs to be done (as he did by sacrificing himself in ADV. 353). He rushes to Mysa's defense even though doing so places himself and his family in jeopardy.

Although this is an alternate reality version of Ferro Lad, some of it might apply to the "real" one. At least none of it contradicts what we do know of Ferro Lad.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Great conversation, PG. This month's issue of Wizard magazine has personality profiles by Geoff Johns of the main Legionnaires and villains (including Universo) of LO3W. I'll copy them if you think they'd help you, but they're not as true or insightful as what our fellow posters are offering up here.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.