Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to admit, I am confused as well about the Yera thing.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm also confused. I see the "moving eyes" in the portrait of Brande and the founders, but that's all I noticed.

Set:
quote:
It's certainly a huge upgrade for Yera, if this is the case. Cham can't turn into energy, after all.

If Yera can turn into a hologram, she's one part Chameleon Boy, one part Monica Rambeau.

As for a shapeshifter generating actual energy, why would they have to? Threeboot Cham once impressed Saturn Girl by creating the illusion of lightning while posing as Lightning Lad. It was just the appearance of energy, yes? Not actual energy powers.

[Confused]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought this issue was slightly better than the first. I liked the inclusion of more Legionnaires (the three founders can get kinda boring). Welcome the return of Tyroc. Can't remember did Infecious Lass marry Tyroc or Jaques in the Giffen future?

Artwork was solid -- though lacking a futuristic, sci-fi bent that I think the series needs to stand out.

Giving it time to gel...

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
-Saturn Queen? Kinda random but logical given what happened to Titan. Little sketchy on what she was after, though. Weird seeing her "in-continuity', even after L3W. And what was with the Nemesis Kid remark?

Excellent question. I don't recall Saturn Queen ever being part of the Legion of Super-Villains when Nemesis Kid was in it. In fact, wasn't she only featured in the adult Legion stories way back in the Silver Age -- which have since been disavowed.

Whatever the case, she needs to update her look. Is she planning on skating in the next winter Olympics or what?!

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Who's to say that that's a hologram? The picture's flat and even in the 21st Century we have electronic picture frames. They're not holograms, they're just screens that display images. She'd only have to be able to glow.

Alternately, maybe it's Quislet, although he could only hide so long before it disintegrates.

In that segment we all witnessed the amazing return of...
ANTI-LAD!!

You heard it here first.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
In regard to Jacques, I like a little French thrown in every once in a while. It gives his character a little something extra, much like RJ Brande and his verdamn German expressions.

I thought his white streaked hair was a proud experience mark, but if he'd rather go Grecian Formula for the girls, maybe Drura will come by?

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Element Lad
Reservist reporting for duty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Element Lad   Email Element Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I seem to recall Jacques speaking "Franglais."

Mixed reactions to this issue. I feel like Levitz is regaining his stride, but not quite there yet. Granted, he's inheriting a LOT of chaos, and I'm guessing we'll see him at his best when things start to calm down.

I definitely liked seeing as many Legionnaires as we did, and the return of Tyroc, apparently with powers limited to sound and vibration. (I like the theory someone mentioned about his powers being psionic in nature so he can focus their direction--explains why his sonic blasts don't destroy his teammates' eardrums!)

Some of the characterizations were spot-on--like Imra's clever way of tracking the kids, or Dawny being disoriented by teleportation. But I agree that Brainy and Jo felt off. The first line from Gates was perfect, but the second too harsh--he's established as having accepted the Legion's ideals, if not those of the current U.P. administration. And where was Shady's partner Lydda during the riot scene?

Agreed that the second inker complemented Cinar's style better than the first.

I felt like throwing Saturn Queen into the middle of the Earth-Man and Titan stories was a bit much...unless it is all tied together in a big LSV plot, as someone suggested.

I would like an official roster of the active members one of these days. But at this point, I'm back along for the ride.

From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I like the idea of Jacques as a native French speaker (though it's an interesting question whether 31st century French would be as different from modern French as, say, 11th century English is from modern English).

What I object to is the syndrome of just throwing in random "High School French" phrases. See seanbaby's classic critique of this phenomena as it occurred in Super Friends (third paragraph down).

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
I'm also confused. I see the "moving eyes" in the portrait of Brande and the founders, but that's all I noticed.

Set:
quote:
It's certainly a huge upgrade for Yera, if this is the case. Cham can't turn into energy, after all.

If Yera can turn into a hologram, she's one part Chameleon Boy, one part Monica Rambeau.

As for a shapeshifter generating actual energy, why would they have to? Threeboot Cham once impressed Saturn Girl by creating the illusion of lightning while posing as Lightning Lad. It was just the appearance of energy, yes? Not actual energy powers.

[Confused]

Casting illusions is as big an upgrade as shooting electricity, imo.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Eh. Not really. So long as the "lightning" or "energy" is still attached to the shapeshifter's form, it's not really different than any other appearance change.

It's similar to the character turning into a "fire-breathing dragon," but the "fire" appearing from the "dragon's" mouth can't actually burn anyone.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
In regard to Jacques...
I thought his white streaked hair was a proud experience mark, but if he'd rather go Grecian Formula for the girls, maybe Drura will come by?

And when he learns what her superpower is, his hair will turn white all over again!

[LOL]

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think that flesh lightning is going to fool anyone.
Flesh fire, maybe if it's far enough away form you, but flesh lightning that's supposed to look real?
Don't buy it.
(I don't 'buy' the flesh fire either, but he's been shown doing it before, which was not well thought out, imo.)

What I don't get, is that Absorbancy Boy gets to become Earth Man, but the Legionnaires are all still 'boys' and 'lads'?!
He should be called, at the very least, Earth Boy.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
What I object to is the syndrome of just throwing in random "High School French" phrases. See seanbaby's classic critique of this phenomena as it occurred in Super Friends (third paragraph down).

That is always hilarious. The guy speaking broken English can say 'supervillain' or 'electromagnetism' but has to revert to Spanish (French, German, whatever) to say 'hello' or 'good.'
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I hope Jacques's white streak comes back. It's his badge of courage from the GDS, a lingering visual reminder of his trial by fire and of the story itself.

As for Cham, I've never understood why he supposedly can't take on the natural abilities of animal forms he assumes. If he can take on dragon form, for example, he should be able to breathe fire. Super powers are trickier and more understandable, as those are extraordinary among their races.

However, among those races where the powers are indigenous (Tharnians, Titanians, Bismollians, Daxamites, etc.), Cham could theoretically be able to mimick their powers if he can mimic those of animals.

I guess the point is if Cham could do all those thing, he's arguably the most powerful Legionnaire (and Durlans the most powerful aliens). In any case I'd like to see the powers better defined. I've seen shape-shifter power descriptions (among different characters in different companies) stating that when they appear as larger creatures, they don't really have any more weight or mass or whatever. That's always confused me.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
As for Cham, I've never understood why he supposedly can't take on the natural abilities of animal forms he assumes. If he can take on dragon form, for example, he should be able to breathe fire. Super powers are trickier and more understandable, as those are extraordinary among their races.

While I know the science is Star Trek-iriffic, I like the idea of him being able to adopt animal abilities like camoflauge or poison or webbing or generating some current (like an electric eel).

The problem with that is when someone goes all Grant Morrison with the idea and has him start turning into alien animals that have whatever darn power he wants, starting with Lightning Beasts of Korbal and progressing up to radioactive fire-breathing space dragons.

Since this is a book set in a future setting with hundreds of worlds worth of alien fauna to choose from, Cham would theoretically have thousands of unique capabilities, and he would quickly become Cham Ex Machina.

'Oh, we're trapped! Good thing Cham can turn into a Blargian radio-beast and call for help with his funky antennae!'

'Form of a Thelaxian crystal-spinner, able to create webs as hard as diamond! I'll bind the ship together with my webs, so that we can make it home!'

'Sollusineeri flare-jumpers live in the hearts of stars! In this form, I'm immune to Flare's worst attacks, and can still beat her to death with my tail!'

'Qwardian jumping spiders are made of pure antimatter, all I have to do is spit at the Eye of Ekron and it will explode!'

quote:
However, among those races where the powers are indigenous (Tharnians, Titanians, Bismollians, Daxamites, etc.), Cham could theoretically be able to mimick their powers if he can mimic those of animals.
I wouldn't mind a Durlan being shown to have that sort of ability, to change itself on a genetic level, and assume the baseline powers of a Braalian or Bgtzln or whatever, but clarify that most of the Legionnaires are ridiculously skilled by comparison to the baseline for their species, so that the Durlan copycat might be able to look like Imra or Rokk, and have telepathic / magnokinetic abilities in those forms, but will never be nearly as proficient, skilled or even talented as those individuals.

And, I'd prefer that such a Durlan not have the already amazing range of proficiency that Cham has demonstrated, with the mass-changing and stuff.

Yera might have been a great choice for that sort of thing, since assuming *humanoid* forms and impersonating them so precisely as to fool biometric scanners is her special thing. It would be cooler, and help to distinctify Cham and Yera if their powersets weren't homogenized, and he could do all the funky 'turn into anything' stuff, while she was more specialized, but also more powerful in that specialized range, able to not just turn into an Imskian, or a Coluan, but also to gain their innate racial characteristics (shrinking, 10th level intellect, etc.).

But, as they say, that's an idea whose time was missed.

Instead Cham and Yera both seem to be able to do whatever the hell the current writer wants them to be able to do, and be given limitations that promptly disappear when a new writer shows up.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.