Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - SPOILERS
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I WOULD like to see how many times he's been removed from the Zone.
The Lo3W's release certainly wasn't his first or second or ?

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
I WOULD like to see how many times he's been removed from the Zone.
The Lo3W's release certainly wasn't his first or second or ?

Wait, I admit it's been a while, but Mon wasn't in the zone during Lo3W was he?

The timeline should now look like this:

- Mon crashes on Earth, get put in the Zone by Superboy/Clark.
- Mon gets released by Superman and replaces him while he's on New Krypton
- After Last Stand, Mon is shoved back in the zone.
- Mon is released every so often during early Legion Adventures while they look for a cure
- After the cure is stabilized he comes out for good (barring that one issue of the Baxter run where the serum wore off).

That's it isn't it?

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Earth-Man somehow forced or tricked him back into the zone at some point prior to "Superman and the LSH", and he was brought back from it in the opening issue of Lo3W.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I read this book and I liked it. I really, really did. I like the artwork and I liked Garth's characterization.

... which sucks because I've stopped buying Legion.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
This was another excellent issue. So far Levitz is firing on all cylinders. I grinned from ear to ear when I saw Gates.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
That was a great issue. He nailed Gates, and returned several members to the cast. I do detest Jo as the dumb jock though.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
What kind of bothered me was that Shady made a belittling comment about Jo's intelligence. I thought she liked him more than that.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Paul made Shady into a snobby Beyotch back in the day, and seems to be continuing the trend.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Titan Lad
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Titan Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This issue was miles above the first issue! I am so glad to see Dream Girl back and I honestly can't wait till next month.
From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Paul really got to re-introducing LOTS of Legionnaires this issue, didn't he? I figured after last issue, we wouldn't get very many for awhile. Glad he proved me wrong!

A few randoms:

-Tyroc was AWESOME!!!

-Loved seeing Garth and where his priorities truly are. I think Garth and Imra will be fine!

-Saturn Queen? Kinda random but logical given what happened to Titan. Little sketchy on what she was after, though. Weird seeing her "in-continuity', even after L3W. And what was with the Nemesis Kid remark?

-Nura! Thank God! I've missed that chick!

-Still hard to see the big picture in this opening storyline. The main continuing thread is Earth Man. Imra and the other Titan follow-up seemed more like sub-plots.

-The art was really good. I'd say the Francis Portela guy may have had a bit more style and panache than even Cinar. May be because he had fewer pages to do, though.

-I'd say those who thought Cos's characterization was off last issue saw more of a return to form this time. (I'd argue that he wasn't really all that off in the first place, though.)

More later!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't agree at all. The issue was terrible.

Yes, Paul has done several things right, some of which previous writers have failed to get. But I honestly cannot imagine being a new reader to the Legion, buying this issue, and buying any more, and even for a long time reader it's a chore.

The problem is that it's decompressed. Not a lot really happened aside from fighting Saturn Queen. Sheesh, look at the Earth-Man subplot. He uses the GL ring to zap the Legion ring, and charges the GL ring... and that's the entirety of the advance in the Earth-Man subplot. For the Imra's children subplot, she uses time travel and sees something in their head indicating where they might be. And that's it for that subplot--we don't even get enough of it to be told what she sees. The Mekt thing is two pages and basically just says "He is my brother. Something's odd about him."

If you're not a long-time reader, most of these won't even mean two pages to you, because they don't go on long enough to give enough background for a new reader to understand why he should care about them.

How exactly did Phantom Girl stop Ultra Boy? She's not Kitty Pryde; she can't mess things up by phasing through them. And Tyroc making sounds in space is just stupid, regardless of fans' attempt to explain it away.

And most of the costumes are terrible. There were several occurrences of tank tops with long pants. Honestly, who wears that? Skimpy female costumes do have long histories in comics, but I still can't help think that Dawnstar is a freak without areolae, given what areas her costume exposes. And many of the costumes try too hard to look like clothes instead of costumes (and Tyroc's awful costume is an example of this, as well as the large number of collars among the others).

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
Weird seeing her "in-continuity', even after L3W. And what was with the Nemesis Kid remark?

It probably just means that both she and Nemesis Kid are members of the LSV.

Has she ever appeared in continuity? I know she had her first contemporary appearance in V4 (which is now out of continuity). Superman/Batman #14-18 is the Adult Legion version. The Wikipedia article is messed up and mixes up Adult Legion, V4, and modern.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

As a long time reader, it will not be a chore to buy another 135 issues of this series.

Tinya stopped Jo because he loves her, and she was the only thing around that was going to break Saturn Queens hold on him...pretty self explanatory.

Tyroc using his power in space was rather ill advised, but I'm sure that Paul could honestly use some sort of Comic book logic to make it work. Not that bothered by it.

As far as subplots...it at least touched on several and did move them forward, if slightly in some cases...at least Paul is attempting to showcase the fact that there are a lot of characters in the Legion, and giving them face time.

Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad are now on the same page in trying to find the kids...that was the whole point of LL's pages, besides acknowledging the Mekt subplot that he was left with. Saturn Girl is at least moving towards something, and we know from the solicits that this wraps up rather soon anyway.

The whole Titan refugees subplot moved along, as did the annoying Xenophobia plot. Again, several Legionnaires featured here that would not be shown otherwise.

Some costumes are bad, and some are growing on me...whatever.

Earth Man subplot moved along, as we know he doesn't really have any idea what the ring can really do. He also enforces that he is an outsider here.

Paul has a huge cast of characters to work with, and he is trying to get the ball rolling, and remind us of pre-existing plot lines that he inherited. All this while telling the Saturn Queen story.

I think he did a great job of updating a lot of stuff in the short amount of space given. This would have been 3 issues for someone like Bendis, with a lot more meaningless dialog thrown in.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder whether the appearance of the "Adult LSV" in the Dynamo Boy story is currently "in-continuity"?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked this issue. I bought Tyroc’s first appearance off a spinner rack, at a local grocery store, as a ten year old boy. He was the first new member whose induction I got to witness first hand. He appeared in two more Bates/Grell classics, and then faded away. I was disappointed and frustrated by this. Fair or not, I’ve held Paul Levitz responsible for all these years. Much has been written about the racial politics and/or limitations of his powers in a visual medium. I won’t rehash all that here. Mr. Levitz has been given a rare opportunity in returning to write the Legion at this late date. The 10 year old boy in me wants him to know how much it means that he took early advantage of that opportunity to bring Tyroc back into action. Thank you, Mr. Levitz. Nay sayers be damned. The costume is fine. There is justice in the world after all.

Mon-El, Ultra Boy, and Wildfire in action side by side. Awesome. Shadow Lass and Phantom Girl portrayed again as friends. A good number of members in action. The story moving forward. Artwork by fresh new talent. It all feels right to me.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.