Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » MadroX and X-Factor Investigations (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: MadroX and X-Factor Investigations
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So Siryn learns of Banshee's death in this most recent issue. PAD's characterization here certainly feels like a typical fan's reaction.

And seeing Madrox meet Singularity's head... I like Jamie's irrevernt attitude. Also, an interesting hint about Singularity's infrastructure.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting hint that there's a lot more to Madrox's origin than we know.

Siryn's reaction makes perfect sense in this world. At this point there's no reason why the characters wouldn't be skeptical of death - especially if they don't witness it personally.

I'm still enjoying this book, but there's something missing - and it's not just Sook's art. Maybe they need a clear cut case for the team to work on, I dunno...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
If anyone other than Peter David was writing this book, I would be losing my patience. But I have confidence in PAD's ability to follow through with a strong payoff.

Great banter as usual:

GUIDO: Why all the long faces?

RAHNE: Some bad news, Guido...Sean Cassidy is dead.

GUIDO: Aw, that's too bad. I remember him from "The Hardy Boys"

RAHNE: What?

GUIDO: "Hardy Boys". Him and, what's his name, Kirstie Alley's ex. And he did a nice cover of "Da Doo Ron Ron"...

MONET: Not Shaun Cassidy, the actor! S-e-a-n Cassidy! Banshee!

GUIDO: Oh...crap. Oh, holy... I feel like an idiot.

MONET: Go with the feeling.

RICTOR: C'mon, M, cut the guy some slack, okay? He didn't know.

MONET: Whatever.

GUIDO: Geez...how'd it happen?

RAHNE: Scott came by. He said Banshee died in combat, saving a planeload of people.

GUIDO: Well, that's how he'd have wanted to go out. How Sy taking it? I bet she's a wreck...

SIRYN (cheerfully): Guys? I'm thinking we bring in Chinese for dinner tonight. Who's in?

I enjoyed seeing Cyclops' guest appearance, because I've had a [Love] crush [Love] on him since the very first mutant story I read: The Dark Phoenix Saga TPB, which I bought somewhere around 1991-1992.

Next issue: Quicksilver guest stars, and nobody writes him better than Peter David.

And if you're reading this and you're a fan of Astonishing X-Men, take note: issue # 9 is an X-Factor vs. Astonishing X-Men showdown.

[ May 30, 2006, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
A quick question from the last issue. It was stated that Layla gave a different story to the X-men. Was there an X-men story with her or is this just part of the X-Factor story?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I got nothing, Quis. The only other regular X-book I'm buying is Astonishing.

(And HI, STEALTH! [Smile] [Hug] )

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi, Pov. [Hug] Awww, that's so sweet. Thank you. I wish I could spend more time here at Legion World. But no matter how busy I get, I can guarantee that I'll set aside a couple days each month to visit this X-Factor thread. After all, this is the one comic book that I literally count the days until the next issue.

Quis, as far as I know, Layla's only appearance outside of X-Factor was in the House of M core mini-series; I haven't read it, but I assume that Cyclops and some of the other X-Men encountered Layla there.

A couple things I didn't think of last night:

Madrox laughing in Tryp Senior's face after Tryp offered him an "exclusive contract" was priceless; not quite PAD biting the hand that feeds him, but certainly nipping it. And his sarcastic remarks about Tryp's office -- "Love what you've done with the place. It just oozes confidence and gravitas, with a dollop of testosterone." -- read to me like a good description of the crap that Quesada's pet writers crank out, which gives Marvel a bad name, even though there are a few good books (such as X-Factor) coming from Marvel. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but...

And now that Siryn has inherited Cassidy Keep, I wonder how long it is until the entire team heads over there for an adventure.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Stealth! [Smile]

I thought the latest issue was another great one. Siryn's response has been done before, but it was very well done here too by PAD.

Lots of great dialogue. Madrox is so much fun to read, and PAD has a handle on him like many other great characters he's made 'his own' over the years.

I thought Monet's reaction to Sean's death was very well done. It was very understated so no one needed to know that he was once her mentor in Generation X, but it was still there--PAD certainly knows these characters pasts inside out.

I'm ready for more Guido and Rahne now!

Singularity Investigations isn't really wowing me as antagonists, but I have feeling that is about to change shortly.

Cannot wait for Quicksilver!

I'd prefer Reboot's name misspelled again this issue, but we can't always get everything [Wink]

Re: Layla. Some of the X-Men met her in HoM, although not all of those that did remember her, I believe. Cyclops and Emma Frost definately do though at least. Probably Wolverine too. So there's (3) Astonishing X-Men that do, and w'ere supposed to be seeing them shortly here (looking forward to that too!).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
XF8 preview: http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=99&itemid=8665

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
X-FACTOR #7

Not bad for a set-up issue. Can't wait for Quicksilver's appearance. I just read that there is going to be a 'therapy' issue similar to the much-loved DOC SAMSON issue of the original run. *That'll* be a blast! M in therapy-- the mind boggles.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid: Hi, Stealth. [Smile]
Hi, Cobie. [Smile]

X-Factor # 8 is the best issue yet! Quicksilver only makes two brief appearances at the beginning and the end, but it's clear there's going to be a lot more of him in # 9. And while he's off-panel, we get to see

Click Here For A Spoilerthe unfortunate side effects that his recently acquired new power has on others.

Peter David gives "Civil War" the obligatory nods, and gets both a sharp anti-registration insight from Siryn and a good laugh out of it when

Click Here For A Spoilerone of Madrox's dupes turns out to be a suit-and-tie S.H.I.E.L.D. agent

There's also an intriguing new revelation about the Tryps:

Click Here For A SpoilerDNA tests on the samples that Madrox took last issue reveal that Tryp Junior is actually a DUPE of Tryp Senior, and they're an unclassified human sub-species. I assume this means Madrox is also a member of this species; all these revealtions can't be good for him as he continues to unravel.

Nice surprise guest appearance by Click Here For A Spoiler Spider-Man , and the scene where Siryn Click Here For A Spoileruses her power on him is priceless. It's also probably the single best page of X-Factor that Dennis Calero has drawn to date. Calero has really improved a lot in a short span of time, although I'm sure that having a guest artist on # 7 gave Calero the time to put extra effort into # 8.

And the usual great dialogue:

Guido: Hey, Layla, that's a thick book you're reading. "Harry Potter"?

Layla: "Atlas Shrugged."

Giudo: Yeah, there's a conversation killer.

This comes full circle later:

Madrox-Dupe, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Good heavens, young lady, you look so serious, like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders.

Layla: I do.

Madrox-Dupe, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.: How do you deal with that?

Layla: I shrug.

But Siryn has the best line of all:

Siryn: And if Wolverine gets in my way, I'LL yank his skeleton out this time, and I'll pull it through his arse.

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I just read that there is going to be a 'therapy' issue similar to the much-loved DOC SAMSON issue of the original run. *That'll* be a blast!

In # 8's letters page, Peter David has confirmed that said issue will be # 13.

The letters page this month is especially good. Here's a favorite of mine, from a certain Onyx Hunter:

quote:
Those who are sick of flat, one-dimesional characters who express their exact thoughts, plans, and motivations in long solliloquies should get clued in on the depth and mystery that is X-Factor.
And from Peter David himself, once again on the subject of continuity:

quote:
There's no mechanism in place -- none -- to provide all the writers with all the upcoming stories and storylines. So if I keep writing stories to play catch-up and reflect developments elsewhere, X-Factor is going to have a perpetual five-month lag time. I deemed it necesarry when it came to addressing Banshee's death [Actual conversation between PAD and editor Andy Schmidt: "Uhm, Andy...Banshee just died. Is he really dead?" "He did? Lemme check. (an hour passes) Yeah. He's dead." "Well, geez, Siryn should really react to that, should she?" "Yeah, that'd be good."]
Works for me. I much prefer it to the painful micro-management taking place at DC right now.

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
M in therapy-- the mind boggles.

Not my mind. I think it'll reveal that she's a lot more complex than most people seem to think.

EDIT: Omg, I almost forgot -- when Quicksilver meets with the X-Factor members next issue, Click Here For A SpoilerRictor's probably going to ask Quicksilver to give him back his powers. That could be catastrophic!

[ June 30, 2006, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Stealth, por favor, pleasepleasePLEASE don't do that. If you're going to use spoiler tags, don't do little bits of lines, do that whole post in one tag or somesuch.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Okey Dokey. I'll do the single box in future posts.

--------------------

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's another entertaining issue... As Stealth mentions, PAD gives us some witty dialouge and a gripping story. This was more set-up for future issues, but with Layla's interludes it doesn't feel like it. I still don't like her and wait for the day Ric gets to toss her in front of a bus- but that isn't really a bad thing. Ric's little jibes at M suggest PAD is looking to straighten out this former mover and shaker.

Siryn's still bothering me. Terry was the most well adjusted member of X-Force (before AoA ruined that title) and I don't get her anger here. Given the recent news about her dad, lashing out with a sonic lance at a gunman's head is understandable. But since this title started she's been surly.

The art is good, I wouldn't mind Calero being the regular. But enough with the shadowy mini-blinds. It's almost like that's the only way we could tell this was a noir book.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

That reminds me of something else Peter David said in the letters page: when he refers to the upcoming psychiatry story in # 13, he adds that the characters will really need it after "the traumatic events of issues # 10-12." With # 9 already confirmed as being a payoff issue, it looks like # 8 is the very last set-up issue for the next few months.

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
X-FACTOR 8:

Is Layla possibly somehow Luna, Quicksilver's daughter? I don't get Pietro as 'evil', frankly. We'll see.

I liked the prodigal Madrox coming back with a badge. I wonder how many other dupes have built their own lives around the world? Or elsewhere?

The Spidey/Siryn scene was fun. I hope there's a follow-up.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.