Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Nightwing (spoilers) (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Nightwing (spoilers)
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks. It may have been mine. When i went to post on it for the new issue the last entry was several months old.

You are a true class act, my friend. I...am just short of being a ludite. [Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
rick, I don't mind seeing Nightwing step up ala' Batman. He was raised by the man afterall. I think his humour and relatable is what makes him different than Bruce, and that will surely come into play when he dons the suit.

The recent face-off with Ra's shows he's up to the task. The more I see it coming, the more I don't mind Dick taking up the mantle.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone remember how awesome Nightwing was for like almost 100 issues before Devin Grayson came on? Think back, and remember. Remember how pumped you'd get when you picked up an issue for like almost a decade?

Too bad the last 5+ years have been so downbeat. And now the title is coming to an end for a marketing stunt.

What a dissapointment.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, you're a fan of the new Cap A. I know this because after hearing your praise, I've been picking up the last few issues. Bru transitioned from Bucky to Cap effectively, and everyone thought it was temporary. Gotta say, I don't see that change being undone. Maybe it's time for Dick to take over; time for him to be the great character he is.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, if done brillantly, it could be good. But I'm 100% confident that Bruce Wayne will be Batman in the future. He'll be Batman after Didio is dead, I'm dead, we're all dead. If any superhero is 'safe' from being put on the shelf, its Batman.

And that knowledge hurts my ability to enjoy such a change. Unless its done brillantly--and then I'll hold back my complaints and enjoy. But already the bar is raised higher than any other normal story.

The best way to go then is to develop Dick more and more on his own standalone personna which has been done at various times in his career. I feel like Dick once more becoming Batman temporarily would be a step backward.

And I actually liked "Prodigal", the brief period in which Dick was Batman. It was a period of great growth for Dick, Tim and even Commissioner Gordon. So reverting Dick to Batman again is a 'been there, done that' scenario, unless its permanent which I can't really seriously think will happen.

But hey, if its done REALLY, REALLY well, then sure, I'm on board [Big Grin] . But now they have an uphill battle rather than a level playing field.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I've never been a fan of sidekicks "graduating" into their mentors' role. I think it's disrespectful on two levels:

1) It says that no matter how great a former sidekick becomes in his own right, like Nightwing or Donna Troy, they are destined to lose their own identity in order to pretend they are someone "better"

2) That the mask is more important than the person behind it (Batman is too important, so if Bruce steps down we gotta shove someone else into the costume and pretend it's the same person).

This was always my problem with writers and fans who look at the Titans as the Justice League Replacements. The Titans outgrew their mentors' shadows years ago, but they are constantly forced to play second fiddle to the "Big Guns".

The world doesn't need a Batman, but DC Comics does, so they'll just make sure that someone is wearing the suit.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting Nightwing tidbit from ths week's Comic Book Legends Revealed article-- Dick was intended to die in Infinite Crisis, with Jones' run on Nightwing starring Jason Todd. While not an improvement, at least that would've made BJ's run on the book make sense. [Razz]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Paul Levtiz you sly dog. One more reason why you're my ****in boy! He acted like the Supreme Court of DC here!!
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

POV, Jones can't fault his bad work on Nightwing to the editorial fiat. His other work speaks to this. I can't find anything he's written that has been appealing or successful.

Putting Jason in the black-n-blue was never going to work. Bringing him back from the dead was a bad Winick idea; his death had more significance than anything since his return.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

quote:
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
I've never been a fan of sidekicks "graduating" into their mentors' role. I think it's disrespectful on two levels:

1) It says that no matter how great a former sidekick becomes in his own right, like Nightwing or Donna Troy, they are destined to lose their own identity in order to pretend they are someone "better"

2) That the mask is more important than the person behind it (Batman is too important, so if Bruce steps down we gotta shove someone else into the costume and pretend it's the same person).

This was always my problem with writers and fans who look at the Titans as the Justice League Replacements. The Titans outgrew their mentors' shadows years ago, but they are constantly forced to play second fiddle to the "Big Guns".

The world doesn't need a Batman, but DC Comics does, so they'll just make sure that someone is wearing the suit.

I get what your saying, but it's not just at DC. We've had a Nightwing book for 10 years, and he hasn't garnered the fanatic fanbase that Bats has. And Dick's been around longer than WW. Readers want a Batman or WW more than they want Dick or Donna.

The sidekicks always seemed to be grooming for taking over their mentors' roles- Kid Flash, Aqualad, Wonder Girl aren't names suggesting they were looking to find their own identity.

I've oft mentioned my desire to see a new generation of heroes. I like Kyle and Connor, Wally and Donna. Wally showed us it can be done right; Kyle held his own for a long while before DC began the Great Resurrection.

The more I read from Tomasi, the more I think about it, seeing Dick in the cape and cowl excites me. He would bring a lively, fresh attitude to Batman- he would strike fear in the cowardly and superstitious lot and joke and pal with the brightly dressed compatriots.

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
The way i see it, the sooner Winick and Didio are gone, the better DC will be.

Understand, i am not hating on Didio, from what i have read he is a good guy personally, but...

Under Didio's stewardship, books are frequently late, books that are good lose good creators (Dixon) who feel driven off due to various reasons, writers that don't really sell well but seem to be in his favored circle keep getting work...which leads us to Winick.

I don't know the guy, and i don't hate him personally, but what he does to books shouldn't be allowed. He is probably the closest thing to a marvel writer that DC has, and he always comes up short. Either his stories are anti-climatic, or he changes characters and has them act in ways diametrically opposed to their characters, or he doesn't bother to do his research and find out where a character is when he takes over the writing of that character.

I actually quit reading GL because of him, and i quit GA when he came aboard. He left GA and i picked it up with issue 15.

If you go back and look at his shoehorning in a character in GL to make it like it was 30 years earlier (supposedly relevant), as opposed to how it is being written now, its obvious that he doesn't fit.

*Note, yes, i am talking about the Terry Berg character. I objected to the heavy-handedness with which the character was used, not that the character was gay. If he had been a good character that happened to be gay, it would have been fine. Instead, he was a character that was there TO BE gay. I may be wrong in thinking like this, but it was insulting to both straight and gay people as i saw it. Contrast that with a character like Tasmanian Devil, who is a superhero that is gay, and not a gay superhero, and you get the idea, i hope.

His work on Nightwing was horrible in Outsiders, its why i dropped the book after three issues. And the only reason i am now reading Titans is because of Howard Porters return. But i understand there may be a new writer coming on board, so i will stick it out.

Didio has good ideas some times, but he is failing to execute them well, and it seems like it is starting to cause dissension and rifts in the DC ranks. DC has a rot from the inside, and its showing up in things like Nightwings cancellation.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Winnick is probably the worst writer DC has had in the last 15 years. Not everything he touches is terrible, but most of it is.

The Jason Todd thing is just so poor. It added nothing of value to Batman or DC. Jason's death was actually a pretty historic and great part of Batman's history. And to cap it all off, its not like DC has had any great success with it. Fans don't love it. The media didn't make a story of it. It was a failed marketing ploy and now we're stuck with a living Jason Todd, whose appearance in any comic is equivalent to being the ultimate turn-off.

rickshaw1
Leader

I put Jason in the same class as Barry's sacrifice.

The death of each character, the circumstances surround it, became the stuff of legends.

In Barry's case, he became, moreso than Superman even, the Ultimate Hero. He stayed dead. He died to save the universe. And because of that, what had been a basically bland character for most of his existence became a symbol, standing for something far greater than the character itself.

As to Jason Todd, it made news around the world when people voted to "Kill Robin!" Yes, the comic fans knew the difference, but to most of the world, Robin was still Dick Grayson. And spinning out of that death came some fantastic stories, and the death became the basis for character change and expansion. That on singular event reshaped how Bruce Wayne percieved his war, and the ripples continued for years.

Now, Barry is back, and the symbol of the sacrifice is just another soap opera point.

Jason Todd is back and ..well...ehhh.

I love those old Barry Allen Flash books. I have been chasing the ones i missed down for years. And i have no doubt that Geoff and Company will tell some great stories...but in bringing him into this age, modern story creep cannot help but take place.

And that means that it wont be the barry we remember. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it wont be the character that everyone remembers, it will be the updated version.

Just my thoughts...i hope they make sense.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I agree 100% on both counts.
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Interesting Nightwing tidbit from ths week's Comic Book Legends Revealed article-- Dick was intended to die in Infinite Crisis, with Jones' run on Nightwing starring Jason Todd. While not an improvement, at least that would've made BJ's run on the book make sense. [Razz]

Reason #1000000000000 why Judd Winick's career at DC Comics needs to be erased from our international psyche.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.