Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 21)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
Just started reading Captains Blood By William Shatner. (Yeah Denny Craine)
Picks up after events in ST Nemesis.
So far so good...

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Gloriana is a great book! Some of Moorcock's work is formulaic, but I really liked Gloriana.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone read Geek Love? It's the latest read for my book club. It's freaky... literally... and grotesque. It's about a family of carnival freak show attractions, all of whom are genetically "engineered" by their parents. It's keeping my interest mostly for being so bizarre that it's hard to NOT to keep reading, even if I am otherwise not really enjoying the story. I know there's a bigger message here, but it's kind of an unpleasant read... not that all reading experiences should be pleasant, but sometime this seems shocking solely for the sake of being shocking.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Rokk, can you give me some details on this
book? I read a book years ago that your
description reminds me of.

The one that I read involved a dwarf woman as
the narrator whose family included siamese twin
sisters, a sort of seal brother, and a psychic
brother ... is that the one you're reading?

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
You win! That is indeed the book! Do you remember if it was ultimately a satisfying read for you?

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knowjack
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowjack           Edit/Delete Post     
I just read, in one night, Christopher Rice's new book, LIGHT BEFORE DAY. It's really good. This is his third book, and I've loved them all. Not supernatural like his mom Anne's books, but mysterious and sometimes creepy. His first book, A DENSITY OF SOULS is still my favorite though.

And they're HOT <G>!

From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I have heard something recent of Geek Love...maybe it was reading about the HBO show Carnival?

I am currently reading Shogun which may be the most intense book I've ever read. By this I mean it dominates my mind...I go to sleep and I dream of being in shackles with japanese men in togas yelling at me. It's a huge book...infact after 200 pages I took a break cause I felt a bit insane...read Lemony Snicket #1...took a day. Now back to Shogun. Hai!

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved Shogun when I read it (maybe 20 years ago - can it really be that long? I read it before they made the Richard Chamberlin miniseries. The book is much better.)
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
STF, I remember seeing the Richard Chamerlain mini as a kid. All I really remember is him getting pissed on. [Wink] Ever since then I've always considered the ultimate insult. hai!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Jorg-Em, I don't remember that scene. Perhaps best that I don't.

I've just started "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's set in Barcelona in the 30's and 40's. It's a mystery about an ellusive author's writings being all bought up and destroyed - at least that's what the jacket says, since I'm only on page 30.

Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rokk steady:
You win! That is indeed the book! Do you remember if it was ultimately a satisfying read for you?

It was a rather strange one. I think I had a
headache during it... and that always makes
reading a surreal experience for me ... and
that one led to surreality. 8-)

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well I've breezed through Timeline and Prey (both Crichtons) and have started one called Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. Interesting book that takes place in the same universe he created in his "Island in the Sea of Time" books.

Has anyone read these?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Who'd have thought that ROCKBOUND would win the Canada Reads competition? I think it was resurrected just for the contest. A novel that the residents of the island it was based on described as not representative of their way of life. Haven't read it, though, so I'm just being grumpy.

I've just started, finally, The Life of Pi. Promising!

An excellent read. The ending was a winner. Please do share your thoughts when you're done!

I'm currently enjoying Eats, Shoots and Leaves! It's a gut-busting laugh out loud read from a "stickler" like myself. "Punctuation vigilantes unite!" I'd be curious to know if any non-English majors have read this and think it's as brilliant and funny as I do.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Life of Pi really surprised me, pleasantly. A boy and a tiger adrift on a raft? I feared it was going to be some talking tiger who would philosophize about life with the young man, ho-hum - but the tiger acted like a real tiger, or a believable one, at least... The ending was one of those laugh-out-loud-on-the-bus funny.

That Stirling book is one I'm looking forward to - love post-apocalypse books. He wrote one that took place in India (forget the title) which I didn't get into at all - except the appendix, in which he described the disaster that led to England's collapse and the re-establishment of the British Empire in India.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
That Stirling book is one I'm looking forward to - love post-apocalypse books. He wrote one that took place in India (forget the title) which I didn't get into at all - except the appendix, in which he described the disaster that led to England's collapse and the re-establishment of the British Empire in India.

The Peshawar Lancers. I was thinking of reading that one but, like you, I like the description of the disaster and would like it better woven into the story.

Stirling has a sequel to Fire coming out this year, The Protector's War. Then one more, no publishing date, to come later. You can read sample chapters of most of his work at his website: http://hem.bredband.net/b108107/stirling/smstirling.html

I'll probably go on to Conquistador after Fire then maybe try the Sea of Time trilogy. I'm quite enjoying Fire.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.