Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 24)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by RTVU2:
Semi, I hope you didn't think I was trying to bash you or anything.

I didn't think that. [Smile]
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
"Well Niven and Jerry Pournelle have written another book together that was just released, Burner Tower, a sequel to The Burning City. That came out earlier this year."

Thanks LL. I will check that one out.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I am STILL reading Shogun. [Wink] Haven't had much time lately. Ohwell I am enjoying it greatly.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked all of Clavell's books, even if they are a little melodramatic. I just wish I could eliminate Richard Chamberlin circa 1980 from my mind's eye when I read Shogun.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
Have any of you Burke readers read "Last Car to Elysian Fields?" It was a bit of a downer. Either Burke's getting tired of writing Dave or the end is near.

Spoiler, just in case....

I missed Bootsie. Did she die "off-panel," or did I miss a book somewhere?

She died off-panel. She had cancer in one (or more?) books, but I don't remember a deathbed scene.

There's a new Robicheaux book out this summer: Crusader's Cross - "It deals with a new phase in the life of Dave Robicheaux, one in which he becomes involved with a remarkable Catholic nun and a family who claim descent from the Roman knights who defeated Attila the Hun at the Battle of Chalons. Unfortunately for Dave, this particular family considers Dave the modern equivalent of Attila. Dave also finds himself the target of a smear campaign waged by a local television personality who may or may not be the Baton Rouge serial killer."

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I am currently reading Star Trek Titan.
This is the first novel of Captain Riker after the events from Nemesis.
I am still waiting on a wow from this book. Even an Oh my gosh...not there yet

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't care much for Titan either ... of course
when the whole tagline of the book seems to be
"This is the most ethically diverse starship in
Federation history" you gotta expect things aren't
going to be all that they could be ...

Anyone ever read some of the older Star Trek
boosk? Back before TNG when they took chances
with the Trek books? Anyone remember the books
featuring Spock's son, Zar?

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked Titan. I liked all the diversity and the potential for all the characters. Also I liked that they have acknowledged all the the other trek books and shows by reintroing chacters like Melora.

I really like Dr Ree too.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading the latest Robert Jordan paperback. While I do go for long involved stories, this feels like he's writing to write now. So much of the page is used for detailed descriptions, which aren't always bad, but do get tiresome after a bit. And day-to-day activities that don't advance the plot are used to show the characters fretting...

I don't expect he'll finish this series anytime soon. More, this is the outlet for the fanciful life RJ's living in his head.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Update: I am totally loving "Illium" by Dan Simmons. Every single page is a joy and I can hardly wait to get to the next page, yet want to linger on the current one. The mixture of sci-fi and Greek mythology is a perfect combination for me.

What's even more exiting is that the 2nd and last book of the series, "Olympus" comes out in July.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
A Gentleman's Game, by Greg Rucka - one of the novels based on the Queen & Country series (or was the comic based on the novels?) Actually, I enjoyed it more than the comic - one of the few monthlies I was getting - so maybe I'll just read the novels. A thriller/adventure - not a whole lot of depth to the characters, though. I think the LeCarré books were filled with more interesting people. Still, fun to read on a rainy weekend.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
There's little doubt Jordan has been coasting a bit for 2-3 books. Those detailed descriptions take up a lot of pages, as well as the "I Love Lucy" romantic clashes that are so frequent.

That being said, I haven't been as involved and interested in a series of books since I don't know when. I've read them all at least twice and listened to the audiobooks at least once. A truly completely realized fantasy world, with a history and logic and mythology and wonderful (if a bit cliched) characters.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
"Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell is a non-fictiion book about the power of first impressions (basically a re-working of the left brain/right brain theory).

I'm also reading that right now. Interesting stuff about the workings of the human mind and how we make decisions.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
I've just finished "A Man Named Dave", the third of Dave Pelzers autobiographical books.
Very emotional stuff.

About to start "Deception Point" by Dan Brown.
No idea what it's about.

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
Finished that now. it was quite fun. Discovery of life from another planet in a meteorite fossil.

Now half way through 'The DaVinci Code' by the same author.
It's a bit like 'Angels and Demons' so far. Dead people and secret codes. And lovely European women. Running around lots.

I hear Ron Howard's making a film, with Alfred Molina, Tom Hanks, Sir Ian McKellan and Audrey Wots'ername from Amelie.

[ May 26, 2005, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Ghost of Numf-El ]

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.