Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 26)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished "Guardian" by John Saul. Good book. Saul writes good books - each with its own subplot of controversy. Who would read a book if it were dull, anyway?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
Women [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

And Scientists

And women scientists [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
You calling Oprah a scientist?
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Scary.

I just read Paris to the Moon. It was... interesting, I guess. *shrugs* I'm always a bit apathetic to school reading. Silly college.

I'd recommend it if you like non-fiction, though (which I do) 'cause it's full of interesting politics and observations.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I just loaded the DaVinci Code to my PSP. It is the last of Brown's books for me to get to. I hope I've saved the best for last.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
PSP? Play Station Portable?
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
PSP? Play Station Portable?

Yep. I watch my TV shows, movies, read comics and books as well as play games on my PSP. Best little electronic buddy I've ever had.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

By the way, Scott, has Caroline heard of The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova? I'm reading it right now. It's a novel about a girl's search for her father, an historian, who's gone in search of Dracula, who apparently is still alive. It's rather well written, but slow paced. It just came out 2 weeks ago, but is already climbing up the best seller list.

[ July 01, 2005, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
By the way, Scott, has Caroline heard of The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova? I'm reading it right now. It's a novel about a girl's search for her father, an historian, who's gone in search of Dracula, who apparently is still alive. It's rather well written, but slow paced. It just came out 2 weeks ago, but is already climbing up the best seller list.

Yep. Had it on order at Amazon since early this year. Got it week before last. We decided to wait for the large print edition so her mom could read it too.

Oh, and the movie rights have already been bought up. I think even before it was published.

Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Am currently reading Book of Leaves - it scares me!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been on a reading binge since school let out. I'd need notes to remember them all.

I read a huge number of Anne McCaffery book ending with the early Pern novels. It seems every time a reread one I find more sex. ;7

I've also recently read The Lost Tomb by Ken R Weeks. It's a great book about the excavations in kv5, the tomb of the sons of Rameses II. One of the nice parts is that it's got a website (www.kv5.com) that has regular updates on the project, so for once I don't feel like I'm reading out of date history.

Taking a break while I wait for more Pern books, I decided to read The Mummy by Anne Rice which is semi-coincidently about Ramses II. Not a bad book, but I'm glad there's no sequel. I suspect it would just be one non-stop orgy.

The Mummy led to Interview With a Vampire, and The Vampire Lestat. I thought I'd read both before, but I didn't remember any of Interview. It was really different from what I expected. I thought it would be a "noble" vampire novel, where the vamps never do anything really evil. That would have been more fun, but this was a lot more thought provoking than I expected. I'm reading Lestat now and it, at least, is familiar.

Semi's been recomending Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. I agree, that's a really, really good book. Better than Dragonbone Chair, and I loved Dragonbone Chair.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

I'm really struggling through "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. I've read about 400 pages and still have 250 or so to go. The writing is decent, but the pacing is off. It's supposed to be a suspense novel, but the characters spend all their time having 3 square meals a day. That just doesn't seem right. I can't recommend it unless you like a long leisurely novel and have a lot more patience than I do.

Next up, Olympos by Dan Simmons. It's the sequel to Illium, one of my very favorite books in a long time.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Do you finish a book whether or not you enjoy it? Some people do see a book right through to the end, but I don't have the patience.

I'm looking forward to Olympos also - don't know if I'll shell out the $$ to buy it, or wait for the library - which could take months. So I'll probably buy it - and Locked Rooms by Laurie King - next in the series of Mary Russell ("Sherlock Holmes' wife") series.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
books and movies.....no matter how bad i have to finish 'em!!
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Do you finish a book whether or not you enjoy it? Some people do see a book right through to the end, but I don't have the patience.

I'm looking forward to Olympos also - don't know if I'll shell out the $$ to buy it, or wait for the library - which could take months. So I'll probably buy it - and Locked Rooms by Laurie King - next in the series of Mary Russell ("Sherlock Holmes' wife") series.

I try and finish the books I start. I'm afraid that I'd never finish anything if I gave up when my interest started to flag - because it always does at some point in every book. The only book that I couldn't finish was "The Little Friend" by Donna Tart. I got through about 400 pages with 100 pages to go and I gave it up. I hated it so much and was so disappointed. I'm told I didn't miss anything since the story was never resolved.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.