Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Ya'know, all of a sudden, i am not reading much at all, including comics. I can't get into a lot of my old favorites, and i haven't seen much new by my favorite authors. And i haven't felt like seeking out any new ones lately.

Just a phase, i guess.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I was in that phase for about the last three months while I was hitting the custom action figures pretty hard. Now I'm back in the Galaxy Far Far Away.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm trying to work my way through the Dark Tower series still. Finished up book one, tough as it was since I still found it real hard to get through as I did when I first tried years ago.

Book two is much better. At least the first part with The Prisoner. That part flowed real well for me. But I'm limping through the Odetta/Detta section now and starting to glaze over. Really don't care for it. I'm hoping part three of the books picks up again.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
MacBeth
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Is the Dark Tower Series the one that starts with the Gunslinger? I started reading that thinking, "Oh man. I love Stephen King. He hasn't let me down yet." I couldn't get past the first 30 pages. Every time I picked that book up, I was asleep two pages later. I couldn't help it.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by minesurfer:
Is the Dark Tower Series the one that starts with the Gunslinger? I started reading that thinking, "Oh man. I love Stephen King. He hasn't let me down yet." I couldn't get past the first 30 pages. Every time I picked that book up, I was asleep two pages later. I couldn't help it.

The same one. I had the same problem with it when it was serialized in Asimov's digest many, MANY years ago, long before it saw print as a novel. It is still a hard read but I've been assured that the books do get better. And its about the only King work I haven't already read.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I just re-read a couple of Terry Pratchett books as he's a favourite author that happened to be speaking in town recently.

But now it's the new Hellboy anthology of short stories from Dark Horse. Called Odder Jobs. The first story was just OK, but it's a Western (of sorts) and they're not usually to my taste. Still, well written at times. Looking forward to seeing what else is inside. [Smile]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by RTVU2:
I am still trying to get through Johnthon Strange and Mr Norell but everytime I pick it upI fall asleep...

I've finally started Jonathan Strange, RTVU@, and I'm having exactly the same problem you did. Every time I pick it up, I get through about 2 pages and I fall asleep. I of course wake up once that heavy book falls on me. Maybe I should not be reading it in bed.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
To tell you the truth Semi, I haven't picked it up since I wrote that... have read Magical Thinking by A. Burroughs and started A Curious Incident... since then. The book is still on my nightstand waiting to be read.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm on page 56. To tell the truth, I enjoy the writing. My problem is that once I get in bed, I just pass out with that book. It doesn't happen to me with other books. Maybe I've had a spell cast upon me. I'm going to try reading it earlier in the evening from now on. I have to get through it because I have a whole pile of fun books waiting to be read. (Not that I don't think J. Strange and Mr. N. is not fun, but .. well, you know.)
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Well, I read some more of Jonathan Strange on the exercise bicycle this morning. It was actually pretty good. I had to re-read what I read in bed last night because I didn't remember any of it.
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe we need a Jonathon Strange readers' support thread.... I bumped it for Miéville's Iron Council and a few library books.

BTW, yesterday I saw a copy of J. Strange with a black cover - mine (from Amazon) was white - I wonder if they're playing on the white/black magic idea, and which cover is selling better?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've got the black cover!
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

I have the black cover, and as I mentionned, I have a signed copy. They were selling both white and black covers here. I chose black because I thought the white would get dirty. (That's the Virgo in me coming out). I'm at page 80 now. It's starting to get interesting. Thursday is a lousy night for tv, so I think I'll just read.
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I have the special collector's edition gray cover.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.