Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Flannel Lass
soft, warm, fluffy!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flannel Lass   Email Flannel Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men. Crivens! He's one of my favourite authors.

--------------------
"You and I long to live
Like whales in bottled water..."

From: the palace garden of the Lord of the Red Lands. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I hardly ever have time to read books, but I just finished Eats, Shoots and Leaves. It's all about punctuation. I read it in two sittings. It really makes you think about grammar and punctuation and how correct you are with it all.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I finished Time Traveler's Wife and highly recommend it (if you like love stories with a twist).

Now I'm on to Tales to Astonish, a bio of Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. It should be interesting (but I definitely prefer fiction).

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading Stone Junction by Jim Dodge.

According to Thomas Pynchon, "Reading Stone Junction is like being at a nonstop party in celebration of everything that matters."

Now THAT'S high praise...!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going great guns on Tales to Astonish. It's packed full of fascinating information, although the writing style is pedestrian. Next up is "This is Burning Man", a history of the annual bohemian festival in the Nevada desert each Labor Day.
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
What I’ve read since early spring (other than comics)…

“Star Wars: Darth Maul – Shadow Hunter” (promises Maul but really gives more than that. good fast read, I was surprised at how much I liked this book)

“Star Wars: Rogue Planet” (I’m about 2/3 through right now. So far the story is lacking)

“Star Wars: Shatterpoint” (Decent book)

“Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire” (another one that caught my attention, and I couldn’t put it down. Extremely fast read)

“Star Wars: The Truce at Bakura” (starts out slow, picks up at the end)

“Star Wars: Tattooine Ghost” (I liked this one too. It has a gimmick that lends itself well to the Star Wars mythos)

“Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy” (Classic Star Wars stories, very enjoyable.)

“Star Wars: I, Jedi” (This one was the jewel in the rough. The first person story telling gives other points of views which I thought added to the overall Star Wars universe. I did not expect to enjoy this one as much as I did.)

“Star Wars: Children of the Jedi” (don’t remember too much about it, other than the first 130 pages were brutal reading. The rest of the book was much better.)

“Star Wars: Darksaber” (kind of a let down. All the reviewers just fawned all over this one, I can not agree with those sentiments. The love interest seems extraordinarily forced.)

“Star Wars: Survivor’s Quest” (I guess Tim Zahn can do no wrong. Every time I think I’ve seen it all, he manages to put one by me. I can’t wait to read all of his Star Wars books again, knowing what I know now.)

“The Wolfen” by Whitley Strieber (I had to change it up) Wolfen is a decent little horror story written way back in 1978. It’s a quick read, and a fanciful yarn.

Once I finish “Rogue Planet”, I think I’ll head onto Steven King’s “IT”. I haven’t read it in pert near 15 years. I may just move on to some New Jedi Order novels. I can’t decide which I’d rather read.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Books on tape: The latest in the Wheel of Time series, Crossroads of Twilight (unabridged--the only way to listen to books on tape). If you've ever enjoyed a fantasy novel, you'll enjoy Jordans hyperdetailed, sprawling (considering the length of the last two or three books vs. the plot advancement, not always a good thing) epic. Depending on how he wraps it up, could easily take Donaldson's Thomas Covenant novels place as my favorite fantasy series.

Actually reading: Just finished Fortune's Favorites, about 1/4 of the way through Caesar's Women. Colleen McCullough has written a wonderful series of books on the collapse of the Roman Republic, centered (of course) around Julius Caesar. Much more fun than reading Roman history, but accurate and packed with details about life 2000 years ago. Lots of sex, too. Be warned--lots of Gaiuses and Luculluses and Mariuses and Metelluses and other confusing Roman names. Another good one to get on unabridged tape.

Joy Hakim's book Freedom: A History of US. I'm going through both the companion to the series and the 10 book collection. If you have 10-18 year olds or know 10-18 year olds, point them in Hakim's direction. She has written the best US history book ever for adolescents. Every school system should dump their bloated shitty textbooks (trust me, as an 8th grade history teacher, I know bloated shitty textbooks) and teach from Hakim's series. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman, but like Semi said earlier in the thread, I just can't get into it anymore. I don't know why--I've loved *everything* he's ever written and my brother has liked the book so much, he's read it twice!

I also have a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I'm considering reading. Although with school coming on, it'll be harder to have free time for reading non-history/non-comic book stuff.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Dracula has some truly creepy moments, if you can get through the purple prose.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

I've just started "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood.
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I am reading the Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde. It is the third novel staring Thursday Next.

Imagine a novel where the characters almost realize they are in the novel. People can actually enter into books and live and visit them. History can be changed and has been changed. Your favorite literary characters can come to the rescue or to kill you.

If you have any kind of literary background or just plain like to read everything you will get all the little jokes and asides the author has written in. Actually, he has created an alternate world that is so fully realized that everything just makes sense.

All that and it has a sense of humor and set in London. What more can you ask?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished reading "The Quick and the Dead" by Joy Williams. A *very* different style of writing there.

Now I'm going to try " House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski again. I started it before but found it too confusing. I hear its really good.

[ September 12, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Gilded Billy ]

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just ordered the first four books in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I've only tried to read the first one when it was serialized back in Asimov's Digest in the 70's. Thought that since he's releasing the final chapter next month I'd give them a try.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Let us know how those go Scott, I've always considered reading them but have never gotten to it. I know that a lot of the characters that appear in his other books show up in those too.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I've read all of them up through the Wolves of Calla. I haven't been able to get the Song of Susannah yet but I do recommend the series. It's different from his usual stuff but I'm looking forward to the resulution.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.