Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
Books on tape: The latest in the Wheel of Time series, Crossroads of Twilight (unabridged--the only way to listen to books on tape). If you've ever enjoyed a fantasy novel, you'll enjoy Jordans hyperdetailed, sprawling (considering the length of the last two or three books vs. the plot advancement, not always a good thing) epic. Depending on how he wraps it up, could easily take Donaldson's Thomas Covenant novels place as my favorite fantasy series.

If you're a Thomas Covenant fan, AFB, you'll be glad to know that Donaldson has a continuation of the Covenant novels coming out Oct. 14. Titled THE RUNES OF EARTH, it's the first in a projected new series of four.

Now, if Jordan would just get a new WHEEL OF TIME book out... it's time to wrap that baby up.

quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:

Actually reading: Just finished Fortune's Favorites, about 1/4 of the way through Caesar's Women. Colleen McCullough has written a wonderful series of books on the collapse of the Roman Republic, centered (of course) around Julius Caesar. Much more fun than reading Roman history, but accurate and packed with details about life 2000 years ago. Lots of sex, too. Be warned--lots of Gaiuses and Luculluses and Mariuses and Metelluses and other confusing Roman names. Another good one to get on unabridged tape.

LOVE, love, love the Mccullough Rome books. I can't imagine *listening* to them, though, as those interchangeable Roman names *do* get confusing... I'd think the visual cues would make telling who's who easier, but maybe I'm wrong. I've never listened to a book-on-tape with 'exotic' names...

Have you read Steven Saylor, AFB? He writes a mystery series that's set around the time of Julius Caesar... they're much lighter than McCulloughs, but still well-researched.

If anyone's interested, I'd recommend a book called THE AMULET OF SAMARKAND, first of the BARTIMAEUS TRILOGY, by Jonathan Stroud as a fun read. You'd find it in the Young Adult section, but it doesn't read like 'kid-lit'.

If you liked Harry Potter, or Lloyd Alexander's books, or Robert Jordan, I think you'd like this one.

It's told from the point of view of a djinn, summoned by a young magician in an alternate London, where magic is the power of the realm. The djinn's footnotes *cracked* me up-- worth seeking out.

Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
My copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell arrives from Amazon today. Have you heard of it? It's all the rage and is long-listed for the Booker. Many expect it to be on the short-list. It's about two magicians who try to bring magic back to England.

I'm putting aside Oryx and Crake (which hasn't caught my interest) in favor of this new one.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I ordered Jonathon Strange also and expect it this week. It sounds great! There was a fairly lengthy article in the Globe & Mail about the author & book a few weeks ago - it really caught my interest.

In the same shipment, Iron Council by China Miéville - I loved his previous two books - but recently read a review in Wired mag that called him a pretentious blowhard. Oh well. Different tastes.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, the McCullough books on tape (read by a very proper-sounding English woman, which makes for hilarity when reading some of the more explicit gay sex) helped me keep everyone straight for some reason.

New Covenant books? Now there's welcome news! That may keep me happy until the next WoT book!

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Eric Flint's "1632" and its three (so far) published sequels: "1633", "Ring Of Fire", and "1634: The Galileo Affair" (thanks, Inter-Library Loan [Big Grin] ).

They were quite good, but I am a bit worried that we will soon see a whole sub-genre of modern-community-mysteriously-transplanted-into-the-past fiction.

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
"The Egyptologist" by Arthur Phillips. He's signing at a local bookstore tonight, so I'm going to go, buy and copy and get it signed.

On Thursday, Susanna Clarke is signing copies of "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell". Even though I've already bought a copy, I'm going to go and get another copy signed. I'll give my original copy (which is unopened) as a Christmas gift.

matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally got the "Song of Susannah," Stephen King's sixth Dark Tower book, back from the library. It's a pretty brisk read so far and I'm enjoying it. I can't wait for book VII, though I accidentally got a little of it spoiled for me when I was flipping through a new guide to the series that's out in paperback. I didn't expect it to include the material for a book that isn't out yet, much to my chagrin.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Dark Tower VII came out today, Sept. 21, mat.

Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Guess I need to get on the hold list at the library! Thanks for the heads up Todd.

Matt

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just got an offer from the Stephen King Library (another book club) to get the first six Dark Tower (that includes Song of Susannah) for $19.95, all in hard back. And the first book in the club is book VII for $7.95. So I cancelled my order with Amazon for the paperpack copies and will now wait for the hardbacks to show up.

In the meantime I'm reading a novelization of the 1980's TV mini-series 'Amerika'. Not too bad so far.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

The wait list at the library was already about 7 or 8 people deep. Maybe I'll just buy the damn thing. Or else I'll kill time and read some of the other books that are tied in with the Dark Tower series first.
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
just went to Barnes and Noble and picked up Johnthon Strange and Mr Norrell. Could someone have warned me that the book was a brick and a half? [Smile]

Heard great things and can't wait to read it though.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

RTVU2, Susanna Clark was in San Francisco yesterday at a local bookstore. She spoke about how she developed the story and then read a passage. I got my copy signed. It is a big book, isn't it. I like big books.
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I just started 'A Series of Unfortunate Incidents' at the advice of my coworker but have also started The Iliad (only read The Odessey in high school) and The Alchemist. Oh and I got the Ultimate Spider-Man hardcovers so I wouldn't be too intellectual [Razz]
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Radiant Fellow:
It is a big book, isn't it. I like big books.

That's a bit of an understatement, but then again who dosen't like big stuff. [Smile]

So what did she say? It seemed from reading the jacket flap and stuff that it took here more then maybe three years to write the entire thing. That's alot of dedication there. Did everything she say seem that more intelligent and witty because of her british accent? [Smile]

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.