Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 58)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm currently reading The Road, a Pulitzer Prize winning book by Cormac McCarthy. It follows the adventures of a man and his young son in a post-apocalyptic U.S. I was a bit worried that it would be dense going, but it actually reads really quickly and does a great job of sustaining the reader's interest.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
just started Exile: Star Wars legacy of the Force book #4
things are starting to heat up the Galactic civil war has started and the Skywalker legacy has come full circle again, there's a new Sith lord.
i like the pacing of the books so far and each book is writen by a different author. this time the series is shorter compared to the NJO series of books only 9 i think. i can't wait to finish this one and start the next book.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The Night Watch by Sergei Lukanyenko. It's described on the cover as Harry Potter meets Gorky Park... Good and evil supernormals (called "Others" to distinguish them from regular humans) are magicians, shape changers, vampires, seers, etc., all of whom have an ability to enter The Twilight, a rather creepy magic dimension within our world. Light and Dark forces have come to a truce in the world and set up a Night Watch (the good guys watching the bad guys for infractions) and a Day Watch (bad guys making sure the good guys don't break the rules either). It is very modern, practical magic. Vampires are licensed to hunt and assigned blood from donor clinics. If one side breaks a rule, the other side gets to break a similar rule. There are observers from each side who participate in each other's big operations and a panel called The Inquisition to decide disputes. It was a great adventure, but the best part of the story was the explanation of how good and evil work in the world. This made more sense to me than any religion.

Happily, there are three more volumes in the series (Day Watch, Twilight Watch and Final Watch) along with some movie adaptations, although I haven't read or seen them yet.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
OK, I need to gear up with books for my honeymoon. Two books I'm bringing which I've never actually read are:

(1) The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - I heard you can read this in one sitting and I feel its a must to read it.

(2) Salem's Lot by Stephen King - after becoming a huge King fan these last two years I'm looking forward to this. I've heard by many this is actually his best work, even better than the Stand (which I loved).

I'm considering The Time Travelers Wife from reviews I read on this very thread years ago. I'll have to reread this thread some more for suggestions and ideas. I like an eclectic mix while I'm on vacation but nothing depressing or sad--more 'on the edge of my seat' type stuff, whether mystery, science-fiction, historical fiction, etc.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - Ultra Jorge, you are needed! What other books from the "High School rereading list" would you reccomend to me? I'm kinda looking for another enjoyable surprise like Great Gatsby.

PPS - How was Voltaire's Candide?

[ August 26, 2008, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Cobaltus Primus Augustus ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading Light Raid by Connie Willis and Cynthia Felice. For some reason I couldn't get into it the first time I tried it but this time it's going down easy. That's not a surprise, of course; Connie Willis is one of the all-time greats. The surprise is why it didn't take the first time.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Acid Digestion Lad
Legion hopeful

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Acid Digestion Lad   Email Acid Digestion Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ya know I ain't gonna lie, I've just been re reading my older comics to be honest.
From: Bismoll, baby! Yeah!! | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Novels I've read recently:

"Thanksgiving Night" by Richard Bausch

"The Family Tree" by Carole Cadwalladr

"2010: Odyssey Two" and "2061: Odyssey Three" by Arthur C. Clarke

"The Professor's House" by Willa Cather

Of this lot, my favorite was "The Family Tree" by UK first-time novelist Cadwalladr. It's about a woman reflecting on growing up circa 1980. It explores the idea of family secrets and why things turn out the way they do.

"Thanksgiving Night" is also a family story but set in a small Southern town. It explores similar ideas but in a very different way. It also features an ensemble cast that shows how much fun a large cast of characters can be.

The two Clarke books are sequels to "2001: A Space Odyssey." (There is a third sequel, "3001," which I haven't read yet.) I'm not a hard science fiction fan, but these are readable and entertaining, although "2061" meanders. It's also interesting to note the differences between Clarke's vision of 2010 (the book was written in 1982) and our present reality. (Hint: the Soviet Union still exists in the book.)

Willa Cather's book, written in 1925, is the oldest on the list. It's about a middle-aged professor who doesn't adapt to change. It, too, meanders but contains a compelling look at the early part of the 20th century.

I follow my muse where it leads. None of these books have anything in common, except that they all engaged and held my attention.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So I have the two books I mentioned above and bought several more to read while I'm on my honeymoon and when I'm traveling on business next week:

"And Then There were None" by Agathie Christie -I've wanted to read this for so long and can't wait. Even if the end is spoiled by so many copycats over the last several decades.

"The Importance of Being Earnest" & other Wilde" - can't wait to dig into some more Wilde.

"Cossacks" and other Tolstoy short stories - also a HUGE Tolstoy fan (and the whole 1850's Russian Romance movement) so this should be a pleasure.

The Time Traveler's Wife - also looking forward to tihs.

So I should be set for some time. I'll definitely let you all know what I think of each!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobaltus Primus Augustus:
OK, I need to gear up with books for my honeymoon.

Ah, and so is revealed the downside of living with one's fiancee before marriage--ya wanna read BOOKS on your HONEYMOON!!!!! [Roll Eyes] [No]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
"And Then There were None" by Agathie Christie -I've wanted to read this for so long and can't wait. Even if the end is spoiled by so many copycats over the last several decades.

I've always wanted to read this, as well... maybe I'll see if the local library has a copy.

(By the way, the premise of the book would make an interesting MMB event!)

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
In the middle of Day Watch by Sergei Lukanyenko, which is just as good as Night Watch. It's written from the point of view of the dark ones and makes a convincing case for their behaviour (although I still side with the do-gooder light ones). The author is a psychiatrist; that may help him create these believable moral arguments for "good" and "evil".

I did get the movie version of Night Watch but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the book. Sort of like The Golden Compass - if you haven't read the book, the movie is a bit incomprehensible.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:
OK, I need to gear up with books for my honeymoon.

Ah, and so is revealed the downside of living with one's fiancee before marriage--ya wanna read BOOKS on your HONEYMOON!!!!! [Roll Eyes] [No]
Ha! You can't do that all the time! [Big Grin] She's already put up with my insatiable ways enough these past, oh, 8 years!

But jeez Lardy, didn't you see I'm reading Salem's Lot (partially) on your reccomendation!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, THAT oughtta put you in the mood! [LOL] And only "partially" on my recommendation?

Still, I'm miffed because far as I know, you've still yet to watch "Across the Universe"! [Razz]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Isn't that a tribute to the Monkeys or something?

(I kid, I kid, you know I'm a Beatles fan too [Big Grin] )

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.