Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 61)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
And the Lesla-Lar multi issue story was very good.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Browsing through a used book store today I discovered a H. Beam Piper collaboration in an old Ace Double. Crisis in 2140 (copyright 1957) by H. Beam Piper and John J. McGuire [Big Grin] I've never seen this before and I'm really hyped. I just LOVE Piper's works and discovering a "new" one is a huge thrill!
From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't posted here in awhile-- I notice there's been lots of appreciation of Oscar Wilde. There's a couple of fairly new mysteries (at least new in the U.S.) that feature Oscar as a character solving mysteries, with Arthur Conan Doyle as a sort of around-the-edges-of-the-plot advisor. Bram Stoker shows up in the second book.

This subgenre of fiction is growing- folks like Beatrix Potter, Jane Austen, Shakespeare are used as amateur detectives. I have mixed feelings about the books, but they can be entertaining, as I found the Oscar Wilde entries.

Anyway, the books are OSCAR WILDE AND A DEATH OF NO IMPORTANCE and OSCAR WILDE AND A GAME OF MURDER by Gyles Brandreth. The first one has a plot I figured out pretty quickly, so I was a little disappointed in it. I'm no Wilde scholar, so I don't know if the characterization used here is particularly factual, but his wit is on display, if perhaps parochialized.

The second one, of which I've read about half, is thus far a much more intriguing mystery.

Any fans of WITCHES OF EASTWICK by John Updike? He's just published a sequel, titled WIDOWS OF EASTWICK. I haven't read it yet, but will soon.

Also, there's a third Gregory Maguire book set in Oz, called A LION AMONG MEN. Guess who the main character is....

I love Maguire's books, and this one's no exception. A worthy sequel to WICKED and SON OF A WITCH that left me wanting more.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Mystery Lad, I've been wanting to read Maguire's Oz books.

The famous author as detectives sound like lots of fun I have to check that out.

You (or anyone else) ever read Nero Wolfe? Nick and Nora? Micky Spillane stuff? I have this list of old school mysteries and pulp books I've been dying to read.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I'm no Wilde scholar, so I don't know if the characterization used here is particularly factual, but his wit is on display, if perhaps parochialized.

Also, there's a third Gregory Maguire book set in Oz, called A LION AMONG MEN. Guess who the main character is....

I love Maguire's books, and this one's no exception.

1. I always love how you say things, ML!
sigh
2. I so love OZ books! I hadn't heard about these Maguire books, either. I'll try to get them.
kisses

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm currently reading "A Shadow on the Glass" by Ian Irvine. Yes, I am reading yet another fantasy series [Smile] My wife put me onto this one. It is essentially just a big chase novel, but it is engaging and the characters are likeable.
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell. It's a first contact novel concerning a Jesuit led expedition to Alpha Centauri.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
LOVED The Sparrow. At one time there was talk about a movie, it was cast and all. When you're finished, be interested in your opinion on why that movie never hit the theatre.

There's a follow on book and Russell followed that with a WWII novel, completely non Sci Fi. She's not prolific but I have enjoyed everything she wrote. Ohioan too! [Smile]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
LOVED The Sparrow. At one time there was talk about a movie, it was cast and all. When you're finished, be interested in your opinion on why that movie never hit the theatre.

There's a follow on book and Russell followed that with a WWII novel, completely non Sci Fi. She's not prolific but I have enjoyed everything she wrote. Ohioan too! [Smile]

I really liked it. Click Here For A SpoilerA Catholic Priest forced into prostitution & killing a child might make potential investors think twice about a film project. It probably wouldn't cheap to produce either.

According to Internet Movie Database the film version of it may still happen.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading a trilogy by Garth Nix about young people who live in a land about the size of Scotland where magic is a reality.
The Old Kingdom is separated by a Great Wall from the rest of country adjoining it (like England), where there IS no magic.

The bad guys are Free Magic sorcerors and necromancers.

The heroes (male and female) are heriditary heroes (like Shady) or rulers (like Jeckie) or seeresses (like Nura) with lots of inbetweens and even some very powerful and enigmatic pseudo-animals (a dog and cat.)

I love these books.
They're generational and so remind me of Legionnaires!

In order:
Sabriel (name)
Lirael (name)
Abhorsen (title like 'King' or 'Hero')

Fun reads!
[Smile]

[ December 09, 2008, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
What am i reading? Dewalts study guide to the SC contractors licensing exam.

And legionworld, of course.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Finished Tale of Two Cities. Pretty good. Not sure if I agree with some about Sydney Carton being the hero of the story. It reminded me of Count of Monte Cristo but I enjoyed that more.

Decided to take a break and read something light. Call of the Wild. Pretty good! I want that dog! It was nice, short, and easy. Lots of emotion.

Next is The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe. I'm just curious about it.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
What a coincidence! "Call of the Wild."

I just watched the movie with Charlton Heston.

I'm sure the book was better.

Picking up here and there the various connections to this final crisis as the library gets them. Starting to make sense. The Blue Beetle one was very good IMO but I still need the one before that.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read A Nameless Witch by A. Lee Martinez, along with Gil's All Fright Diner.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Q, by Luther Blissett. A hefty historical fiction at 750 pages, it tells the story of an Anabaptist radical from 1518 to 1555 and the Vatican spy who has infiltrated the group. We never learn the true name of the Anabaptist character; he assumes many identities as he lives life on the run throughout Europe, spreading the message and encouraging rebellions. The spy is identified as "Q", but it's only in the final pages that we learn who his identity was as the infiltrator. The two play a very extended cat and mouse game for decades, neither one knowing who the other one is. The story is a fascinating study of political manipulation and power brokering, and we see how diverse interest groups used the protestant rebellions for their own purposes.

I read it as a straight novel, but after learned that some consider it to be an allegory for European sosciety from the rebellious 1960s to today.

The author "Luther Blissett" is actually 4 Italian writers who now go by the name of Wu Ming, which means "no name".

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.