Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » "Man of Tomorrow" (ep1) SPOILERS (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Man of Tomorrow" (ep1) SPOILERS
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
See some clips from the show here.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
And here's a link to numerous stills (I may add more later).

These are my favorites -

-

-
Chemical King, Ultra Boy, Shadow Lass, Karate Kid, Matter-Eater Lad, & Sun Boy!

-

-

-

-

-
Legion World?!?

-

[ October 29, 2006, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

Any guesses who *this* is?

-

Yay for Tenz!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klordny
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klordny   Author's Homepage   Email Klordny         Edit/Delete Post     
In another thread "Opening Credits Sequence", I posted the list of characters seen in the Mission Monitor Board symbols and in the flying sequence.

Shadow Lass did not appear in the episode, though there were blue-skinned aliens in Metropolis (who looked very much like the v4-era Probes).

Check out character designer Derrick Wyatt's page, he has some stills of aliens he designed (which, as many have pointed out, strongly resemble Green Lanterns and other aliens).

Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So so so much fun! Loved the episode and so many little stylistic elements - the scrolling symbols, Triplicate Girl's styling, Bouncing Boy as the congenial nice guy. Trying to look closely, re: Triplicate Girl's costume, I think when she's all together there are three tiny triangles on her chest, when she splits up, each third gets one of the triangles - so cool! I'll have to closely study the secondary characters to get their costumes right [Smile]
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Isn't that Jacques (Invisible Kid II) Foccart among the flying Legionnaires?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it was too bad that the Emerald Empress was the only one of the Fatal 5 to speak. Hopefully the other members will get more development later on.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I was impressed! Like the X-Men movies, the cartoon captures the original spirit of the Legion while thoughtfully changing details.

It was an interesting twist to have Clark not know he is Superman yet, and the Legion showing up in Smallville to recruit him because they need him (unlike in the original story, ADVENTURE # 247). I like the idea that Clark isn't familiar with his powers yet. This keeps him on an even keel with the Legionnaires and (in theory) will prevent him from stealing the show.

The changes made to the characters make sense in TV terms. Brainy is the smart guy, but he needs something to do, so they turned him into a cyborg. Bouncing Boy can inflate so large that he holds up the Ferris wheel. Lightning Lad's scar is merely cosmetic, but appealing, nonetheless. Loved the use of Triplicate Girl (whose reputation as a "useless" Legionnaire should now be permanently laid to rest), and Phantom Girl running through LL to greet Superman.

Most importantly (for me) was that the script took its time in developing the story and letting us get to know the characters. I was afraid that it would be a rush job, all action and no plot, as many cartoons seem to be these days. But no, the story was well paced and nicely structured.

The Legionnaires' personalities seem kind of flat and stereotyped at this point(LL is the aggressive guy, BB is the hungry and friendly fat kid, etc.). In fact, only Saturn Girl seemed multi-dimensional -- decisive in battle, but also considerate toward Clark's feelings (at welcome odds with her old "ice queen" reputation). But this was the first show and a lot had to be established. In that regard, the fast action scenes covered many potential holes. I didn't even notice that only one of the Fatal Five spoke until it was pointed out, above.

Until now, I've had ambivalent feelings toward the Legion getting its own cartoon. Though I'm glad that they are getting the chance at the "big time," I feared and half expected the worst. But "Man of Tomorrow" was a pleasant suprise. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Where was Quislet in the show? I ran it back and noticed Booster and saw what could have been Skeets but I didn't see him.

Can't wait to see Cos and Star Boy and see why Vi is so ghostly white.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klordny
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klordny   Author's Homepage   Email Klordny         Edit/Delete Post     
We only saw Quislet's symbol in the opening credits, he has not made an appearance yet.

And in that second picture down, in the video it looks like Dawnstar's symbol, not Sun Boy's, though it'll probably turn out to be Star Boy's (since we saw him in the flying sequence, and his is the only symbol we didn't see of those flying).

Also, Tharok got a voice credit, but I don't remember him saying anything.

Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Quis' symbol is shown -

-

It's the last one in the row.

[ October 01, 2006, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ahh, thanks everyone.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

More favs -

-
Booster Gold & Skeets!

-

-

-
Shrinking Violet & Sun Boy!

-

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone care to wager that the current Legion HQ will be demolished and rebuilt exactly like that one in Cartoon See above?
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I love that HQ design! It's got both the upside down rocketship, plus elements of the Giffen "L" HQ (wonder if it can take off and fly?) and a little bit of the 70s HQ as well!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.