Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Sundown, Parts 1& 2 ... SPOILERS!!! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sundown, Parts 1& 2 ... SPOILERS!!!
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I think they did an incredible job of re-creating a Sun-Eater in the series. I think it looks exactly how Swan would have animated one.

I'm liking this show a lot better than when it was announced. I just wished they'd have promoted it this way rather than "7 Legionnaires and their boring adventures. Oh! And, we may or may not throw in a bone or two for the die-hards."

[ April 29, 2007, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I think the season started kind of shaky, but the last few episodes of the season have been utterly brilliant!

Honestly, this was about as close to the Adventure Era Legion come to life as one could ever hope for!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, you knew it was going to be pure awesomeness when they did the Subs episode!

I agree, the first ep was ok (for an orgin ep). The Timberwolf ep didn't do much for me, same with the horror movie one.

But Alexis Luthor (actually, I don't think she was ever given as a Luthor), the Subs, the Winnath episode (sorry, don't know titles), the one where Garth is competing in the games--Phantom Girl was really cool in that one. Those are my favorites.

Add Sundown, pt 1 and we have a series that has taken off, here's hoping season two continues on this upward streak.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the fact that the only way to fool the sun eater involved the Legion using team work.

First we had Brainiac 5 and Saturn Girl confusing the AI and its sensors. (Although I would have liked to have seen Projectra introduced to fool any visual sensors available to the sun eater machine core)
Then we see Sun Boy and Star Boy working together to create an artificial sun, (light and gravity)

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know about that Projectra bit. I don't think her powers have ever been able to work on an artificial intelligence.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! I was on the edge of my seat for most of this episode and I already knew how it would turn out! That's good storytelling. I liked the twist that got Supes out of the way.

Loved the group shot that showed Chlorpyhll Kid, Infectious Lass, etc. I'm really glad they included the Subs.

Lots of other Legionnaires got face time as well...Colossal Boy, Blok, Element Lad..saw Dream Girl once also. Awesome!

And they still managed to bring tears to my eyes, starting with "I won't let you down..." from Andy. (Still can't believe they actually did it on a kids cartoon. Wonder what kind of reaction they will get.)

On a scale of one to ten I give it 1000!

Long Live The Legion!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
I think they may have built in an opportunity to bring Andy back.

At least they had a scene hinting of it.

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
I think they portrayed Ferro Lad's death in a dignified and classy way. It wasn't particularly bloody, but neither was it sanitized. I think a lot of comic book creators could learn something from that balance.

Andrew's sacrifice will not be forgotten.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
What an excellent episode. I wasn't sure they would kill Ferro Lad(I've avoided spoilers) on a Saturday morning cartoon, but I agree with you, Malvolio, it was handled nicely. How touching it was to hear his last, almost whispered words, "Long Live the Legion". That was special to this long time fan. Thank you, all who were involved.

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Beautiful episode. Enjoyable for every moment. The controller was awesome! Superwhatever was great on his own. Shrinking Violet saves the day, and takes out the Emerald Eye (take that, bad reboot stories!)! And Ferro Lad's sacrifice was everything we could hope for and expect. Classy.

I DO hope there will be some story next season about Andrew's past, his brother, etc. He remains sort of a unknown quantity at his death.

Every future Legion creative team needs to look at this episode as an example of how to use a large team without bogging the story down. Tenzil had zero dialogue but was an essential part of the show nontheless.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
As a lifelong Legion fan, I felt like this two part story was a gift to us; an epic action adventure packed full of great characterization and emotion.

And Dreamy!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow - great episode! Great way to end the season and leave us wanting more! At first I thought it would've been a mistake to almost recreate the old LSH story, but by the end I didn't care - there was enough new stuff and Ferro Lad's sacrifice was done so well it almost makes me think it's always meant to be his destiny to keep dying for the Legion.

I liked how the Superman/ Controller scene was an homage to "Return of the Jedi" right down to the controller's voice sounding like Palpatine. Also nice how Supes' errand was really more a Brainy plot to keep him safe.

I agree with Blue Battler that they're setting the stages for Andy's possible return. (though I don't think they should - and they'd BETTER NOT do something stupid like bringing him back as Wildfire - one amalgamated origin is enough for me) Otherwise, it would be almost too much to show his body lying there.

I like the notion that Ferro Lad's sacrifice was Superman's final lesson for what it means to be a hero before heading back home to start fulfilling his destiny.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awesomegirl
Queen of Awesome

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awesomegirl   Email Awesomegirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Dayum! I loved the battles and Ferro Lad's sacrafice, there were small things that loved about this episode, like...

The brief cameo of Alexis
Shrinking Violet, yay!
And this...

Superman: You know, I can come back the exact same moment I left.

Lightning Lad: Well don't wait too long, Timberwolf made cookies.

Timberwolf: So I like to bake...

I also noticed that when Superman returned to Smallville, he said the same thing Bouncing Boy said when they left "Just in time for chicken and dumplings."

Even though I think Cosmic Boy should have given the speech instead of Superman, this was a really cool way to end the season.

--------------------
"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

From: Naboo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
great episode, loved the fact that they left it open that Ferro might still be alive, loved BB's term as leader during this crisis, he handled it very well especially with him planning ahead that the F5 would eventually double cross them.
so i guess next season Superman wont be back on a regular basis then?

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
As I said in my previous spoiler (that I can put out for all to see now [Smile] ):

As much as we might want Ferro Lad to stay dead, I don't think they would have bothered to show the body if they didn't intend to bring him back. He was iron form, after all, and he looked roughed up but not unsalvageable. I think it would be really cool, though, if they reinvent the Ghost of Ferro Lad story in the second season. It was a Controller behind that plot, too, and what a great way to introduce Jeckie (or Mysa).

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.