Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Starman #50, guest-starring reboot-Thom and reboot-Tasmia (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starman #50, guest-starring reboot-Thom and reboot-Tasmia
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Starman is one of my favorite comics of all time. I loved evry issue. There were some clunkers, but overall it was a great bit of storytelling.

I think James had a pretty clear vision of who Jack was and that really helped the book. This book was a perfect successor to his Firearm series from the Ultraverse. A book that deserves a look if any does from that "Universe."

I've met James (and Tony Harris - bought a page from him that I love) several times throughout the run of the series at various conventions. A very nice guy and really cool to talk to. I personally believe that there is tremendous editorial interferance with his JLA work. (If McDuffie is to be even remotely believed, there is hige interferance from on high)

I give him the benifit of the doubt for the time being.

Back to Starman though...this was, like MK above, my least favorite of the stories featured in the series. Not to say that it did not have it's very good moments, and unfortunate retconned out of history moments as well.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
that's why I don't worry much about continuity; I only worry about good stories. If they fit together into a larger mosaic, nifty. If they don't, so what?

the only continuity I expect is internal continuity during any single given writer's run.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I could not agree more in all reality Kent. A good story is a good story...Series like Starman and Sandman Mystery Theatre should be enjoyed for the stories they told...not whether they fit in with where the current Editor at large thinks they should or not.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well said, guys.

Re: the Ultraverse, I think the first dozen or so issues of Mantra were also excellent.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

The initial run of a lot of those titles were good. They kind of lost direction along the way, and totally got destroyed after Marvel bought them. The Perez Ultraforce with The Black Knight being one of the few I liked from that period.

[ June 07, 2010, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Dev Em ]

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Indeed. Marvel just could not put a foot right in the second half of the 90s IMO.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Dev, I'm totally with you on Firearm. I thought it was the best of the Ultraverse titles and totally worthy owning.

I kind of dug a lot of Ultraverse titles in the 90's. Nightman and the Strangers were cool Englehardt titles.

Getting back on topic, Starman is one of my all-time favorite series too. I reread the first 30 issues about five years ago and they hold up extremely well. I think the post-Archie stories are also still very good as well. Goyer coming on helped get things on track and the series ended very nicely.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Starman may well be the book that kept me in comics.

I almost bailed on the hobby entirely after Zero Hour, figuring that the industry was moving in a direction that wasn't aimed at or interesting to a reader like me. Being a Golden Age fan, I decided to give this new Starman a try and got hooked.

Anyway, I really liked #50. I liked the Danny Blaine idea, even if I knew that editorial winds could shift and we'd never see it. As for other Legion-related stuff, I liked the DC One Million Starman issue where the future Starman points out that Lyle Norg will become more famous as a scientist than a superhero. Not that that happened either.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Starman was the 1st series I followed exclusively in trades. Which got frustrating given some of the delayed releases. At the time it began, I was only reading superhero comics off the rack at the CBS I worked at. On;y with DnA did I return to buying any superhero issues.

I later picked up a back issue copy of Starman #50 to add to my Legion collection.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

OM, thanks for reminding me of the DC One Million Starman. I knew I was still missing something.

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've just discovered the jack knight starman thanks to the 50 percent off shelf at the CBS.

So I haven been able to read them in order ... Just whatever's available and they aren't numbered for convenience, I'm currently on the grand guignol which I'm liking except I'm not happy about opal being in flames and the evil shades accent is virtually incomprehensible .... I also think this story arc seems very rushed as it attempts to unite maybe the entire series' stories.

Sorry got distracted by the grand guignol ... But what I wanted to say is that even out of order I'm loving this series like I've loved no other comic for quite some time.

I love the 90s blade runner American gothic style art deco of
art that runs through the series. Also the space adventures were really fun and seemed fresh and exciting even to a guy whose been reading comics for 30 years.

I love jack knight. He's complex and conflicted but he's still a good guy who tries his best and tries to be better.

Nash scares me ... She's creepy and psycho ... Like an ex girlfriend ... Except this one kills people.

This is the best I've ever seen Ted knight written and I love the realistic interaction between father and son. They like each other but they also really annoy each other.

The series is real and compelling without being melodramatic and I still think the good guys are 'good' and not just the assholes the book's named after.

It's been a while since I have actually wanted to be a character. Jack knights that cool.

More later gotta run get a pizza

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
This book has made me a huge fan of mikaal and the shade! I never was before.

I even love this version of Adam strange and jor el ! Despite their limited roles ... And I detest the villains in a way that is unhealthy since the are fictional characters! [LOL]

Robinson mustve had a lot of leeway writing these characters since I assume someone like jor el would be sacred ... Especially since they gave him rocket power [LOL]

Oh well I really appreciated the fact that continuity was out the window. Back to the shady and star boy issue ... The way they were interwoven into te star man history was awesome ..( I'm not sure what their biographies were before that )

And tasmia playing a role in mikaals development was cool!

I think in the grand guignol they are trying to interweave the stories in a similar way (except the whole series) but they seemed rushed ... And let me say again how frustrating Culp's accent is.

I didn't mind the blue planet but I did think this version of Solomon Grundy went from plant guy to .. Evil zombie Solomon grundy for the last story arc really quick .. I haven't read them all so maybe I'm missing something.

I can't say right now what my favorite issues might be ... I did like the cabbie issue .. And I like the Ted knight fights dr phosphorous issue ... And of course the three boot issue is fantastic. I like the Adam strange ones and how easily Adam becomes their friend. The prison planet one's seem a bit long to me.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
I have the whole collection of 81 issues....the best series ever....by ONE writer (IIRC) wow...and I am looking forward getting the Shade series soon in October. *rubbing hands*

by the way, Mikaal's first appearance in Ist Issue #12 (again IIRC) and the letter page mentioned Shadow Lass's possible connection to Mikaal and I have been waiting for that for a Long time!!!! Finally thanks to Robinson, he made the connection. *ka-chaing* [Big Grin]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Absolutely one of my top ten favorite series ever. I was fortunate to get into the series after the fact so I could read every issue all at once. I say fortunate because waiting in between issues would have either killed me in suspense or lost me, probably. There were a few arcs where I only got the full beauty of the story because I was still processing the last issues minutes ago instead of months ago.

I do owe it all to the Starman #50 issue for drawing me into the series. It was a great tale that wove together two books perfectly for a moment and then let them go their separate ways. Plus, reboot Thom and Tasmia were two of my favorite Legionnaires for that era.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I was disappointed that this had zero follow-up for the reboot Thom and Tasmia-- a different Thom went on to become Starman, Danny Blaine.

Even if the Starman stuff was never touched on, Thom and Umbra should've had a connection that appeared 'onscreen' after this experience. The Amazers should've shared that to a much smaller degree.

Neither were ever referenced again, unfortunately. Letting relationships like these drop is partly why that era of LSH history eventually fell by the wayside. Perhaps that pertains to comics in general, as well.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.