Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Favorite New Legionnaire Poll! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Favorite New Legionnaire Poll!
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
They can't really travel at light speed, can they?
Not only would time stop for them, but it would take forever to get anywhere but short distances.
Since they're both mostly space travelers, it just wouldn't work.

I've always felt that Dawny, and the other space fast Legionnaires, somehow created a dimensional warp or black hole wrinkle or something, around themselves.
Which is pretty unique, of course, and if they can do it, so could CQ.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight: They can't really travel at light speed, can they?
They kinda have to be able to, since Mon, Jo, Dawny and Drake have been shown traveling faster than the cruisers can keep up (and the cruisers can break lightspeed, presumably by doing some hyperspace thing to get around pesky science).

Traveling at lightspeed (or faster), without some sort of time dilation or mass approaching infinity or whatever, is one of those things that a sci-fi setting with people traveling in their lifetimes to hundreds of different worlds kinda requires.

Narratively, it's a necessity for the Legion (and non-Legion residents of the UP) to be able to get around at trans-light speeds, so if they want to wave their hands around and say 'wormholes' or 'hyperdrive' or 'space-time warping bubble of altered reality' or whatever, I'm comfortable with that.

They seem to have faster-than-light communications *built into their rings* as well, which, well, is that 30th century 'might as well be magic' sort of technology.

Sun Boy being able to shoot fire in outer space still pisses me off 'though, since that's just crazy impossible! Heat doesn't propogate across a vacuum! Burnination doesn't happen without stuffs to burninate! Argh! <shakes fist in impotent nerdrage> [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Sun Boy's heat must be drawn from another dimension, from a star or something.
The sun's heat does travel in a form of energy wave, doesn't it?
Our sun certainly heats our planet, doesn't it?

And, traveling at lightspeed doesn't get you anywhere fast in space type distances. The closest star to Earth is 5 light years away.
And nothing travels faster than light, does it?
I know in the old days of comics, Supes and the Flash could and Dawnstar especially, although she couldn't effect time the way the other two could.
But, science has caught up with comics now and they need to come up with a scientific way to deal with their flight, even if it's just pseudo science.
imo

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Sun Boy's heat must be drawn from another dimension, from a star or something.
The sun's heat does travel in a form of energy wave, doesn't it?
Our sun certainly heats our planet, doesn't it?

The heat doesn't travel through space to warm the earth. If it did, it would be hotter way up in the mountains, because they are closer to the sun. (Something I wondered about when I was a kid!)

*Light* travels from the sun to the earth, and wherever it hits, creates heat. The darker the surface (albedo) the more heat, so it's cooler in the arctic, where less light is hitting, thanks to the white snow bouncing so much of the visible light back, and lowering the amount of heat generated by sunlight (the same process explains why you get hotter in the summer if you wear a black shirt).

Sun Boy can generate light, and, using vast amounts of light, heat up things in space, but he couldn't generate flame, because flame is the chemical process of stuff burning, and there's nothing to burn in space, and he couldn't shoot 'heat' in space, because heat is just agitated molecules, and, again, vacuum doesn't have molecules to agitate.

I'm not sure, but I don't think lightning can exist in space, either. Certainly not sound. And yet Lightning Lad and Tyroc have both been seen using their powers in vacuum.

Heck, Saturn Queen even managed to set up a little campfire in a vacuum!

quote:
And, traveling at lightspeed doesn't get you anywhere fast in space type distances. The closest star to Earth is 5 light years away.
And nothing travels faster than light, does it?
I know in the old days of comics, Supes and the Flash could and Dawnstar especially, although she couldn't effect time the way the other two could.

Hence my assertion that they have to be able to travel faster than light.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reflekto
New Blood

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reflekto           Edit/Delete Post     
Vote for Nam'Lor.
From: Xanthu | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LegionFan223
Wearer of the Crown

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LegionFan223   Email LegionFan223         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's *glare*:
As i have only read issues 1-2 I probably should have abstained, but I am 99% sure my answer would be the same even after I read the rest of the issues.

--------------------
I am smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed.

From: Orando | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Well, last time I looked, our science says that nothing can travel faster than light, so Dawnstar and etc., can't do it.
If DC wants to do it, they have to make something up to explain it, imo.
[Yes]
Time is affected by speed until it reaches 0.
If Dawny and the others were even traveling at lightspeed, everything would be frozen for them, timewise, thoughtwise, imo.
Ah, physics.

And the sun hurls great arcs of flaming plasma from it's surface. It may be something connected to gravity but it's outside or above any atmosphere that the sun has.
I don't think that Dirk generates the flame he uses, he has to be drawing it from somewhere, so perhaps he draws the oxygen with it.
[shrug]

Anyway, go Glorith!

--------------------

Come, join me!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, there's 6 of you (so far) who need to line up for a good, old-fashioned glare-ing.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I blame Nam'Lor's hyper-aura!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
But Dawnstar DOES fly faster than light, it's one of her main powers that has been documented for decades.

Maybe she creates a pocket of different reality around her, maybe when she's traveling at translight speeds she enters a different plane and creates a duplicate of herself to interact with the normal world, maybe it's the speed force...it's comics, there's any number of ways you can handwave it. I don't get why in a universe where you have people who can turn into a giant beach ball or can carry stars around without any adverse environmental reactions, flying fast is where you draw the line?

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reflekto
New Blood

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reflekto           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's *glare*:
Okay, there's 6 of you (so far) who need to line up for a good, old-fashioned glare-ing.

Nam'Lor likes glaring boy! [Hug]

[ March 25, 2012, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Nam'Lor ]

From: Xanthu | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I chose Glorith because I like to see a magic-wielder in the Legion. She's a bit too precious for me, though; everybody's always hugging her. Once she loses her timidity, she should be okay - she demonstrated some real hardass attitude dealing with that chick who stole Chemical Kid's genetic power.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm finding it fascinating who has the least amount of votes right now. I can only assume that most people are simply "okay" with that Legionnaire but have their own personal favorite of the new recruits instead? There doesn't seem to be as many naysayers for that character as there are others.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.