Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The latest Legion issue you thought about (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The latest Legion issue you thought about
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
. . . whether you read it recently, a long time ago, or not all, post your thoughts.

What prompted you to think about it? What memories did it spark? Has it offered any fresh insights?

The mention of Andrew Nolan and the Mordruverse over on "The latest Legion issue you've read" prompted me to think of this story (LSH v. 4 # 5) and how it fits into the "heroes against overwhelming odds" tradition more than most previous Legion stories. Andrew and his few conspirators were truly going up against an overwhelming enemy, and pretty much everything was at stake. If they failed, they would have suffered horrible deaths, most likely. Their clandestine struggle made me think of the failed plot to kill Hitler.

Yet those were the very reasons I didn't like the story at first. I was used to the Legionnaires living in a fantastic future world in which they were all but guaranteed success. Sure, some members died or lost limbs, but the overall status quo of their universe remained the same. Even when the earth, the universe, or the timestream was threatened, the threat was seldom convincing (e.g., most Time Trapper stories).

Plus, the Legion always had, well, a legion of heroes for support while Andrew, Rond, and Mysa were on their own. If they had failed, no statues would have been erected in their honor, no streets would have been named for them, and no videos would have been shown to educate future heroes about galant sacrifice. History would have remembered them as villains.

Ironically, their victory erased their timeline. No one remembered them at all.

LSH # 4 was an uncomfortable read because (like most of TMK) it challenged our notions of super-hero comics and shook us out of our comfort zones. It showed what heroes truly have to do in real life and in fiction to defeat evil.

I may not have liked the story then, but (if it's not obvious) I admire it now.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Most recently (as it was featured this week on a podcast I listen to - The Legion of Substitute Podcasters) I was thinking about the first Legion backup story in Action Comics after the original Adventure run was finished, called, "The Forbidden Fruit".

I think most Legion fans are familiar with that story, or at least know of it, as it's the infamous Timber Wolf "Lotus Fruit" addiction story.

Hearing the podcasters discussing it, however, it suddenly hit me that there is a symbolic narrative thread connecting the end of the Adventure run, and the beginning of the Action run that I never noticed before... namely, a continuing influence of Homer's Odyssey on Jim Shooter's Legion stories.

I had pointed out a couple years back that the final Adventure story contained rough analogues to the Cyclops, Scylla and Charybdis, and the Sirens from the Odyssey (with possibly Dream Girl acting as a stand-in for Tiresias) but I never made the connection that the very next story then continues on with an analogue to the Lotus Eaters.

I guess when young Jim Shooter liked a story, he really liked a story.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This morning, I was thinking of a TMK issue that I actually haven't read, but was discussed substantially in Dev's retrospective thread: the revelation that Bounty was a mutilated, traumatized Dawnstar.

It just underlines how I feel that TMK did almost all their ultra-controversial moves with a very heavy hand and without thinking it through. I remember HWW saying how he was outraged by the callous indifference of Brainy and other Legionnaires to Dawny's cruel fate, and how it reminded him of the atrocious Avengers #200, which, coincidentally, was mentioned in the Latest Legion Issue You've Read thread.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if "outraged" is the right word. At least, I can't recall writing that I was outraged by those developments, Fanfie. (I don't get outraged easily by comics.) But I agree that both the Legion's reaction to Bounty and Avengers # 200 were sloppy story telling at best.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought about the Conspiracy story because the finale of LOTO ... reminded me of their epic battle against the Time Trapper.

"#50 - Life And Death And The End Of Time"

I wish I had been able to read these at the time, and not in a random order over the years.

I vaguely recall some of the build up and foreshadowing ... over the course of 6 or 7-8 issues! And then the follow up, the trail of Brainy.

One day I will have to go back and read it, I suspect its very good.

re: Bounty, I was confused by that ... mostly because her friends didn't seem to recognize her. or know where the real dawny was. could they be so obtuse "dawny has wings, this is not dawny". haha and I don't think they ever even resolved it, IIRC one day she wasn't Bounty possessed anymore?

I've never had the benefit of reading Avengers #200 .. it sounds spectacular! [Wink]

I thought the Bounty character was cool though, besides the weirdness. except then they introduced Monica Sade ... who is basically the same character.

I think the TMK era had a lot of good bones, and big ideas, or even good ideas when it started and somehow the execution was awkward. They took too long to wrap a lot of things up.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Also this one:
 -

It was my first! And I wish RJ Brande was my absentee father! [Big Grin]

plus ... that cover!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure I've actually read the issue where Bounty is revealed as Dawnstar, though it does seem like the lack of recognition is something that should've been addressed.

Brainy figures out who she is at least by the time she is treated for injuries after the Roxxas attack, but apparently decides not to tell anyone as he assumes that she has her own reasons for keeping her identity concealed. It's certainly a mistake on his part, but actually doesn't seem unrealistic, given the two characters.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Peebs' mention of Conspiracy inevitably makes me think of my favorite Legion artist, Greg LaRocque, because the couple issues of Conspiracy that he drew were his LSH swansong.

They're not his best LSH work -- it's obvious he was burned out, something he later admitted.

I think LSH v.3 #45 -- the 35th Anniversary issue -- has some of LaRocque's best and worst work, and I wonder if he burned out while in the middle of working on it. Certain scenes are just spectacular, but other scenes (especially the climactic battle against Mekt) fall flat.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Speaking of TMK, my latest blog post addresses another memorable and controversial development of that run: Proty/Garth.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:

re: Bounty, I was confused by that ... mostly because her friends didn't seem to recognize her. or know where the real dawny was. could they be so obtuse "dawny has wings, this is not dawny". haha and I don't think they ever even resolved it, IIRC one day she wasn't Bounty possessed anymore?

The Legionnaires were having a "Silver Age moment" -- flashing back to the time when Superboy didn't recognize Bouncing Boy because the latter had lost weight. [Smile]

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I'm not sure I've actually read the issue where Bounty is revealed as Dawnstar, though it does seem like the lack of recognition is something that should've been addressed.

Brainy figures out who she is at least by the time she is treated for injuries after the Roxxas attack, but apparently decides not to tell anyone as he assumes that she has her own reasons for keeping her identity concealed. It's certainly a mistake on his part, but actually doesn't seem unrealistic, given the two characters.

I agree to a point. Some of this development does make sense.

Babylon 5 fans may remember the series finale when the surviving characters gather and toast friends who have since died. No one, tellingly, toasts Lyta Alexander, the telepath.

However, it must be remembered that Lyta wasn't friends with anyone present and had antagonized quite a few of the others. The only character who might have raised a toast to her was Zack Allen, who once had the misfortune of asking her out on a date when she was being possessed by an entity--but Zack wasn't present, either.

Dawny didn't make a lot of friends in the Legion, save Wildfire (who had disappeared). It's understandable that no one would have missed her and noticed the similarities between her and Bounty.

However, I'm not sure I buy the explanation Brainy assumed she had her own reasons for keeping her identity secret. The Bounty identity resulted in Dawny losing her wings--if any other teammate had shown up with a new identity and his or her legs amputated, would Brainy have reached the same conclusion?

Also, since the Legionnaires were (unlike the B5 characters) part of a unit that had bonded in the way of soldiers, police officers, and others who put their lives in danger, one would think they'd have shown some cursory support.

[ October 06, 2012, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Well, there actually was another teammate hiding his identity at that point due to physical changes arguably much greater than Dawnstar's, which Brainy was completely aware of. Perhaps he assumed that Dawny's motivations were somewhat similar to Brin's. I suppose one could argue that he should have either asked her about it or (perhaps more likely) have investigated the matter further on his own, however.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

True, although considering what became of Brin, one would think the time for respecting teammates' assumed motives would have passed.

Even then, I could accept the Legionnaires being flawed and missing cues if TMK (K moreso) had not overlooked them as people in favor of the larger story they were telling. I just re-read the Proty/Garth story (not co-written by Keith) and couldn't help noticing how Tom and Mary got it just right: treating the Legionnaires as human beings whose failings sometimes have serious repercussions.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

At the same time, I thought Mysa's trauma and recovery were handled really well overall, and there you have her fellow Legionnaires explicitly saying stuff about how they should have acted sooner.

And I'd put Vi and Cos's talk about Venado Bay/the War as one of the best character moments in Legion history.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Agreed with both (though I think I'm missing the issue in which Venado Bay is discussed).

In the Proty/Garth story, there's a wonderful scene in which Vi apologizes to Yera for misjudging her all these years--and it was because of Vi's own actions during Venado Bay and Cos's forgiveness of her that she is able to forgive Yera for her role in the sens-tank incident.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.